Changed the Power Steering Fluid in the Reservoirs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used my Topsider to extract the power steering fluid from my vehicles' PS fluid reservoirs. Once emptied, I refilled to the proper level with Amsoil ATF (which is appropriate for each of the vehicles as PS fluid).

Obviously this can't hurt, but will this help? Will this help extend the life of the PS assembly and improve performance? How often should I do this... once a year or so? Seems simple enough.

This took maybe 10 minutes. I think I'll evacuate and replace the PS reservoir fluid with Amsoil ATF once a year as part of fall maintenance to keep fresh fluid in there.

Unless there's a good reason to do it more often, that sounds like a plan to me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
This took maybe 10 minutes. I think I'll evacuate and replace the PS reservoir fluid with Amsoil ATF once a year as part of fall maintenance to keep fresh fluid in there.

Unless there's a good reason to do it more often, that sounds like a plan to me.
smile.gif

or buy two hoses, install a small u joint on 1 with clamps, clamp the return hose onto that and empty into a clear container, and the other hose to the reservoir and raise it higher then the reservoir itself, a full quart of ATF will be more then enough to flush the system, do this every 30-60k depending on the ATF used, not only will you prolong your power steering pump's life, you will also have a VERY smooth working power steering pump.

Note: do all of this with the front wheels raised with jack stands so you can lock the steering wheel side to side to pump the fluid out, as you keep the reservoir topped off. No need to start the vehicle as it will be harder to keep the reservoir topped off in that matter.

My experience ATF used in Power steering systems (All Toyota Vehicles), best performing(criteria, was noise and the ease of pump movement during operation) listed first:

1. Amsoil ATF (much much better performing then the rest)
2. Castrol Import ATF
3. Maxlife ATF
4. SuperTech High Mileage ATF

Last edited:
I used large shampoo pump to extract about 8oz PSF in my E430 reservoir, refilled reservoir with Maxlife PSF. Did it 4 times in 4 days to use up 1 quart PSF.

I did it every 3-4 years to keep the power steering system in good shape.

I turkey bastered mine once every few days for about a week. By the time I was done, the factory fill was out and I replaced it with Royal Purple Max ATF (my truck also calls for ATF in PS Pump.) Noise gone and steering is smooth. You did the right thing! When should you do it next? I would just do it once a year. Its an easy procedure and relatively cheap. Once a year is just cheap insurance.

You should be fine doing what your doing once a year. I use PS fluid with seal conditioners on my truck and I do it about once a year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back