Elantra timing belt change with 52K miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai TB service interval.

90K/6 years

Severe
60K/6 years.

Elantra has been on the road for 7+ years.Interference engine which I don't like.

Change the TB,pulley,tensioner,water pump now?

I probably would due to age. I mean if your wrong then its fine if you are right and it should be changed due to age, but you don't you will kick your self when you bend all the valves.

I also have an 08' Elantra (currently 53K) and I'm thinking the same thing. I'll probably do it this summer.

Colt: Let me know how hard it is when you do it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3564151/Re:_08'_Elantra_Timing_Belt_ch#Post3564151

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I probably would due to age. I mean if your wrong then its fine if you are right and it should be changed due to age, but you don't you will kick your self when you bend all the valves.

Thanks,spasm.I thought so.Just was reaching for some not nows.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
I also have an 08' Elantra (currently 53K) and I'm thinking the same thing. I'll probably do it this summer.

Colt: Let me know how hard it is when you do it.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3564151/Re:_08'_Elantra_Timing_Belt_ch#Post3564151

I'm not doing the work.
Over my head.
Nice kit on Amazon,though.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IBEDTS/ref=...=I3TBTMXTGYY9RY

Maybe I'll pick up that kit and have my mechanic install.I would think the dealer will be crazy priced for this repair but would prefer Hyundai parts..

Oh and that link poster said 60K/4 years.
I have no choice now.It would bother me not to do it.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I would do the timing belt if were me too. Not just mileage but age as well, I never take chances on interference engines.

The Gates kit is my favorite, I put on the KIA, great quality. Gates is the only belts i use also.

If 7 years is longer than the 6 year limit then you might consider getting the job done. Or you could just wait and do the whole engine.

I'm sure that there is a limit for a reason. The factory wants to keep the cost of maintenance down but they also don't want customers to march on the dealer with a burning torch because the motor blew up. And taking someone's word that it's "okay" to extend the mileage or time may not be the best choice.

Here's a horror story even though it sounds like you're getting it changed anyway.
One of my coworkers drives a civic, he was well under the recommended mileage for replacement but over the time interval, not by a ton but a couple years. It snapped on his way in to work, he got lucky and the pistons didn't kiss the valves but paying a mechanic to replace a belt is a lot cheaper than paying him to put in a new engine. Cheap insurance.

If there is a time requirement, I'd adhere to it.

Personally I'd say that you're probably not severe service (which may be a silly term for something like a timing belt anyway), so it may be good,mout age and oxidation still take their tolls.

So id not be in a huge rush but I'd get it done soon...

Going in Friday for the TB,tensioner,pulley and all belts.
Dealer service adviser said no need to change the water pump till the next TB change.It's covered with the 10/100 warranty.
$700 less a dealer coupon $35 I just printed.

May have the hoses replaced while it's getting the TB.Maybe a less labor cost..

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
I would do the timing belt if were me too. Not just mileage but age as well, I never take chances on interference engines.

The Gates kit is my favorite, I put on the KIA, great quality. Gates is the only belts i use also.

just my personal experience.

00 civic with 320k without every change timing belt or water pump, but then again it was a Honda D16Y7 engine, they are EASY on oil and seems like everything else. OEM suggested intervals are overly cautious, especially in Honda's case. I can't speak for your Hyundai though.

Ae is a factor and most timing belts really cannot be sen to inspect. With the interference engine I would replace it. being stranded in some undesirable location if it breaks is not worth the waiting. Once replaced you can inspect it for future reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back