Parallax errors from analog dials

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do understand that standard "analog" dials are the fastest way to pick up readings, but I've noticed that the distance between the needle and the base makes a difference in the reading. For instance, I'm trying to read the fuel gauge, and whether or not I perceive it's at the middle line depends on whether I center my line of sight at the center of the needle or I'm sitting straight up (where I perceive it to be lower).

I just find this interesting. I know there are some purely electronic readout systems, but they're not that common. I suppose these errors could be reduced if the needle is closer to the base.

I think the only time parallax error really made a difference in a passenger car was reading the ALT gauge on a '65 Valiant in the daytime. Alternator had given out, but didn't really show on the needle because you're only drawing 2 amps or so ignition with no accessories. Ran the battery down to zero.

For the most part that's been fixed with a dummy light that will turn on if the alternator won't charge.

Looked something like this from the steering wheel:
mhRqdLsIWqcvwLdNAI-sybQ.jpg

Back in the days of "Ribbon" speedometers the needle were higher off the background, and wives riding shotgun always thought there was 1/4 tank less of gas than the truth.

But it also made it look like you were driving slower.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Back in the days of "Ribbon" speedometers the needle were higher off the background, and wives riding shotgun always thought there was 1/4 tank less of gas than the truth.

But it also made it look like you were driving slower.

I keep telling the wife that gps doesn't work well while going down hills--it mess with the satellite reception. Hasn't bought that yet. The old days were better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back