The Big Q about Power Steering Noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1996 Avalon will make noise on cold mornings only, if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. It sounds like a belt slipping a bit.

When warm, it sounds fine.

I have noticed this on many a car for the last 40 years.

Any comments on this? Is the sky falling or what?

It may infact ba a slipping belt until the belt gets warm and grabbs better!

The belt may need to be replaced and/or the tensioner bolt tightened up!

Last edited:
My car also does this on cold or rain days. Squealing disappears when I start driving. I haven't had time to remove & take a look at the 2 drive belts yet.

How old is your belt? If not cracked, I'd try tightening it up first. If it still squeals, replace the belt and/or tensioner. Make sure to clean the pulleys with a stiff brush or steel wool before putting on the new belt.

Check the PS Reservoir for bubbles. If so..you may need to replace the o-ring on the inlet.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
My 1996 Avalon will make noise on cold mornings only, if I turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. It sounds like a belt slipping a bit.

When warm, it sounds fine.

Any comments on this? Is the sky falling or what?

Sound typical of a belt or weak automatic (if used) tensioner issue.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal

Conventional hydraulic PS systems develop pressure only on demand. When you hit the stop the PS system keeps pushing, builds pressure and therefore loads the belt.

It's best to make a habit of backing the steering wheel off slightly once you've found the stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back