Grand Prix Rims on a Minivan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
I'm thinking about putting the "Torque Star" Grand Prix GTP wheels on my Montana minivan. The stock wheels are steel with Grand Prix wheel covers, and are 15", 5x115 bolt pattern. Both are FWD, so I'm assuming the offset should not be an issue. Some of these vans came stock with 16" alloy wheels, just not the same style as the GTP wheels.

My question concerns structural strength. Would the Montana be too heavy for these wheels? If the GP has the V6, the front axle would be comparable in weight, the rear may be a little heavier, tho.

This van came stock with the GP "look", so this wouldn't be too far removed style-wise, and I think the 16x6.5 wheels would add a little handling improvement over the stock 15x6 wheels. The tire circumference would be within 3/4"(.22" diameter), so the clearance and speedo error should not be an issue. A 225/60x16 would put an extra 10mm of tread on the road as opposed to the stock 215/70x15.

Any thoughts?

Go for it, the montana has the same front end as the intrigue/supreme/grand prix/ W-body.

They'd build the rims to the highest common denominator of a given bolt pattern.

I've seen Grand Prix wheels like that installed on a Montana van before. I think it'll work.

Last edited:
The W and U platforms were similar. Some use the same lower control arms and struts, rack, etc.
The vans were even offered with the 3800 at one point. No problem with the starfish wheels on the van.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Go for it, the montana has the same front end as the intrigue/supreme/grand prix/ W-body.

They'd build the rims to the highest common denominator of a given bolt pattern.

Thanks for the responses. I researched weights, and the 2000 GTP (3.8L Supercharged) is 3414# for the sedan. The 2002 model is about 150# heavier. The coupe is about 30# lighter. My van is 3942# with the 3.4L. I'm thinking it will work.

Thanks again for the help.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The W and U platforms were similar. Some use the same lower control arms and struts, rack, etc.
The vans were even offered with the 3800 at one point. No problem with the starfish wheels on the van.

Thanks for the response, I must have been in the process of responding when you posted!!

Ya the 15" stock alloys are the "starfish", didn't know if they were any stronger or if the extra 1" in diameter would make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back