Mobil 1 HM or Mobil Super HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I have been using Mobil one HM for a while now but is getting hard to find at my local walmarts. They always have Mobil Super HM on the shelves.

I have been doing 7.5k intervals with a Wix filter. Driving is %75 highway with 80-100 miles round trip each day. I seen the testing done on all the current HM oils and I like how the super looks as a blend with a 8.9 starting TBN. The price doesn't hurt either.

Do you think that the super would be up to the task at 7.5k?

Thanks

Do your cars leak or burn oil? If not I don't see why you need high mileage oil. I'd go for regular Mobil 1.

I add probably half a quart to the 2004 in the 7.5k oil change, and top off less then that in the 2006. I've been using high mileage oils in the 2004 for almost 60k and makes me nervous to switch back. I've only been using it for about 10-12k in the 06.

I wouldnt take the Super HM up to 7500, but I am sure its been done before. I would probably run it to 5k.

7.5k miles of which 75% are highway miles? I don't see why the Mobil Super HM wouldn't be able to handle that. I say go ahead and use it, if you still have doubts do a UOA after your normal OCI.

An alternative would be to look for Valvoline MaxLife full synthetic if you wanted to use a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I wouldnt take the Super HM up to 7500, but I am sure its been done before. I would probably run it to 5k.

^^this

Originally Posted By: CaravanPower
I have been reading about this lately. I started using Mobil Super High Mileage in my 09 Caravan since it has started leaking.

I found the mileage recommendations here https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-super-oil-warranty

I wanted Valvoline Maxlife but there was none to be had last 3 trips to wally world. Maxlife 5w30 is plentiful, but Maxlife 5w20 is a rare find where I live.

Does your Caravan leak or burn oil?

Assuming it has the 3.8, those are notorious for oil consumption.

I suspect that it is the rear main seal. I am not sure and it's been to cold to really inspect it. I was hoping it would slow/stop it.

Mine has the 3.3.

Last edited:
From the study of the HM oils just done Mobil super has a TBN higher than maxlife. Nothing against maxlife, I'm just a fan of Mobil right now. Maxlife is dexos certified, which on todays cars I'm sure some of the OLM's will go beyond the 7.5k mark. That's why I was asking. I would like to stay with Mobil 1 HM, but if I am unable to find it in the future will Mobil super HM hold up to he current task?

The above warranty post states:
The Mobil Super and Mobil Super™ High Mileage limited warranties are valid for 5,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer.
I take that to mean if your vehicle specifies 7500 miles, it is supposed to hold up, but a test would be the only way to know for sure.

I agree 7,500 miles for an entry level HM oil seems like a push without a UOA. Could be very reasonable though, with one you'll know.

Is the Mobil Super HM sold in the US a synthetic blend?

In Canada it appears it is, it says on the bottles:

Mobil Super 2000 HM - Synthetic Blend - 10,000 km
Mobil Super 1000 - Conventional - 7,500 km

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
Hey all,

I have been using Mobil one HM for a while now but is getting hard to find at my local walmarts. They always have Mobil Super HM on the shelves.

I have been doing 7.5k intervals with a Wix filter. Driving is %75 highway with 80-100 miles round trip each day. I seen the testing done on all the current HM oils and I like how the super looks as a blend with a 8.9 starting TBN. The price doesn't hurt either.

Do you think that the super would be up to the task at 7.5k?

Thanks

I would be comfortable going 7500 miles using Mobil Super HM or even PYB HM... I am pretty sure that your Grand Marquis V8 engines are easy on oil.

The Super HM in the US is a blend, but doesn't have the Ti additive that the regular Super does. I don't think the regular is a blend. Odd.

The Pennzoil HM is also a blend according to the Pennzoil rep that posts here, but is not marketed as such. Also odd.

Given the stellar performance of regular PYB I'd guess it is also a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back