is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: asand1
Learn the english language and acce0pt a testimonial for what it it.
crackmeup2.gif
Sorry.... couldn't resist.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

As for using in DW1 spec., below is link which includes DW1 on the applications list.

MaxLife ATF Application Letter

The lastest official data sheet I can find for the USA product offering is this.

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
It could be that the European version is suitable for DW-1 applications but it is clear that the US data sheet and Valvoline's own USA website do NOT claim it is suitable for use in
DW-1 applications.

Last edited:
I just bought 2 gallons of max life multi vehicle dex/merc for a 2001 ford escape.. Does anyone know if this will be a good atf for this high mileage 2001 escape v6?
Just a fluid change the transmission filter is inside the transmission and is supposed to last forever..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I just bought 2 gallons of max life multi vehicle dex/merc for a 2001 ford escape.. Does anyone know if this will be a good atf for this high mileage 2001 escape v6?
Just a fluid change the transmission filter is inside the transmission and is supposed to last forever..

It doesn't call for Mercon V?

Originally Posted By: J_R
Originally Posted By: asand1
Learn the english language and acce0pt a testimonial for what it it.
crackmeup2.gif
Sorry.... couldn't resist.

Typos don't count.
48.gif

I used in our 05 Odyssey for about 4 years and 60k miles and was still doing great when I sold it at about 100k. I was worried about the trans since 2nd gen Odyssey's were having all kinds of problems. I did 3 or 4 dump and fills to start with, then did a D&F every other oil change since it was so easy to do. It always shifted great (as it always had) and we had no problems. I think ML could handle heat better than Honda's Z1. Either way, it worked great as a Z1 replacement for us in our Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: BobThe
I used in our 05 Odyssey for about 4 years and 60k miles and was still doing great when I sold it at about 100k. I was worried about the trans since 2nd gen Odyssey's were having all kinds of problems. I did 3 or 4 dump and fills to start with, then did a D&F every other oil change since it was so easy to do. It always shifted great (as it always had) and we had no problems. I think ML could handle heat better than Honda's Z1. Either way, it worked great as a Z1 replacement for us in our Odyssey.

I wouldn't have any reservations using MaxLife in that 05 Odyssey, as it specs the older Z-1 fluid.

I currently use MaxLife ATF in a 2002 Corolla and a 2003 Acura TL without any problems. The TL is NOTORIOUS for transmission failures. In my experience, the Valvoline ATF takes longer to darken in color when compared to the Honda ATF. I also used MaxLife in a friend's 2008 Subaru Outback without any problems.

OK, I have a 1990 Volvo 244 beater / DD? just purchased with 200k before odometer broke (standard Volvo feature @ 200k)no history but seems to drive locally based on 100 miles and definitely poor maintenance..Anyway, owners manual says use Dexron 11 or 111, and "ATF" in the PS. 1 BLOG member says type F PS fluid, not Dexron, I can't find anything saying that. Thinking Valvoline ATF Max-Life $ filter, type F PS fluid, change ATF fluid fairly soon, maybe Valvoline semi-syn diff. and of course new oil. Thoughts?

Seems to be thinner than it used to be, more Dex VI than Dex III, won't use in the '01 Saturn now (these automatics aren't recommended for Dex VI).

I thought it was great in the honda but after a long drive the transmission feels like its slighty slipping under any kind of hard acceleration. I think the fluid has to be changed a lil earlier when using maxlife atf too. Just my observations.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
how can you say that when no UOA are available on maxlife?

I got one!

Iron (Fe)245
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb)35
Copper (Cu)22
Tin (Sn)1
Aluminum (Al)5
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Silicon (Si)11
Sodium (Na)8
Potassium (K)3
Magnesium (Mg)3
Calcium (Ca)221
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P)521
Zinc (Zn)19
Molybdenum (Mo) Boron (B)238
Antimony (Sb)

where did you find those numbers? the P/Ca/B numbers are roughly consistent with what i remember from VOA.
it's weird that Fe is higher than AL. I'm used to see the opposite in AT.
how about viscosity, miles, and application?

Edit:
never mind I remember now, you are the guy who has tranny failure with maxlife!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2880013

He is the reason I am scared of doing ATF drain and fills. Lol.

His transmission threw a hard part which is a common failure item in his specific transmission and blamed it on the fluid.

Surely if Maxlife was so bad then every other person running it would have there failures also.

Can we ban this guy yet?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

His transmission threw a hard part which is a common failure item in his specific transmission and blamed it on the fluid.

Surely if Maxlife was so bad then every other person running it would have there failures also.

Can we ban this guy yet?

We don't know if it was a manufacturing flaw in the transmission unit itself, or a result of the transmission fluid being defective. It could be either one or even both together, and I followed his entire original thread.

No reason for anyone to be banned over this, if he feels the
MaxLife contributed to the transmission failure so be it.
This isn't a legal forum, or a professional forum either.
His opinion is valid.

Really? What "hard part" failed? Where you there? No. Can we ban you for being a parrot/fanboy?

I've serviced three 4L60s and one 4L80 that had more miles and abuse since my MaxJunk experience. Used Dex VI from the dealer in all. All functioning perfectly. In the interest of full disclosure, they were pan drops/filter changes w/o the consecutive changes I did with my personal vehicle.

So I should be banned because we disagree and you are a fanboy and I'm not. How pathetic.

Can we ban this guy yet?

I don't know why people can't get/accept that. While we're at it lets ban the Royal Purple, TGMO, cheap clique, thin/thick clique, 3k OCI clique, additive users, and guys that idle their vehicles too. Wait! Let's just take BITOG off the Internet.

Put me on ignore. Like I care. Then all the MaxJunk fanboys can clutch each other in an uninterrupted, warm embrace.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Can we ban this guy yet?

We don't know if it was a manufacturing flaw in the transmission unit itself, or a result of the transmission fluid being defective. It could be either one or even both together, and I followed his entire original thread.

His opinion is valid.

Originally Posted By: Dexters
Transmissions can be very ATF specific. And, mixing them can cause problems also.

Why don't you want to go with mfg recommended ATF.

thats what i agree with.... also if you have a HONDA Transmission and honda owners know honda trannies work best with Honda DW-1

Even Nissan .. my fathers wife has a nissan xterra and he goes to dealer and buys the correct nissan dealer fluid and he has piece of mind he has the correct fluid.

If you read the back of aftermarket / valvoline maxx life it will say this trans fluid is compatible then it will say recommended..

well what does that mean?? Why are they not all recommended??? or all compatable??

Reason is IMO is your taking a chance.

I have 192k miles on my 02 Honda accord with original transmission and other then 2 qts of Castrol Transmax synthetic this Tranny has always had Honda DW-1 or Honda Z-1 ..

Also this oil is not rated for DW-1...

I feel its best and smart to get the correct dealer trans fluid....
some trans fluids can get to hot or some trans fluids can not get hot enough..

the manufacture spends big $ on R&D and does tests to make sure the correct atf.

Here.. think of this... Have you ever seen a new car say this transmission is factory filled with Valvoline max life or any other after market AT FLUID?

Sorta like with cars they will say this engine is factory filled with mobil 1 or some Catrol syntec or Pennzoil...

However I have never seen that for a transmission.. also if you look in owners manual most time it will stay to use dealer atf.

after market companies have a way to word it so you think its okay for you trans.

they will say meets or exceeds this or that specification.. However they are approved.

Now I will say castrol does say its dex or merc approved.. however there are so many different flavors of dexron and mecron.. its best to get dealer stuff.

I have had the best techs tell me this many times.

Now perhaps to top it off with max life or a aftermarket atf should be fine.
but to totally drain and put a after market atf i feel is not advisable.

Originally Posted By: mulehead
It's good had a small leak on a chevy 4.8 transmission put in a couple of quarts of maxlife atf the leak is gone

Ok you topped it off with max life... I can understand that and agree with that....

however you do not have 100% max life in.. COrrect?

what I dont understand is when someone takes a new transmission and uses high milage max life atf fluid.. I mean its high milage fluid in a new trans..

thats like getting a new car and putting in max life at the first oil change.

I know its inticeing to want to buy maxx life atf.. Its full synthetic and valvoline max life engine oil is good..

and you save $$ on max life atf and its full syn. but remember you get what you pay for.

a few times I was going to use max life and I even bought it and returned it....

use the correct dealer atf for your vehicle and you will have peice of mind and a transmission that probably went 60k miles on the factory pre filled / manufacture transmission fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gregk24
I did two drain and fills with Max Life ATF on the 1991 Buick in my sig. Its shifting much much better than before. I have full confidence in using this fluid in DEX applications and plan on using it for a drain and fill on the Uplander in the near future. Would I use Max Life in my Honda? NO WAY! Some manufacturers are picky about AFT choice, so OEM all they way for it
wink.gif

the reason why your shifting improved was b/c the old trans that was there was wore out...
so sure new trans fluid gave you a improvement... however it had nothing to do with valvoline max life atf.. It was the fact that your old fluid was no longer doing its job.

However if you had gotten correct a/c delco atf Im sure you would of have good results if not better results in the long run.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I don't know why people can't get/accept that. While we're at it lets ban the Royal Purple, TGMO, cheap clique, thin/thick clique, 3k OCI clique, additive users, and guys that idle their vehicles too. Wait! Let's just take BITOG off the Internet.

Put me on ignore. Like I care. Then all the MaxJunk fanboys can clutch each other in an uninterrupted, warm embrace.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Can we ban this guy yet?

His opinion is valid.

I not a valvoline hater.. I like there engine oil and there brake fluid so I have nothing against ashland.

its just there Max life ATF im not a big fan of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back