Ex-Marine undergoing gender reassignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why should one group be in a protected class and another not if we are all equal?

Isn't your point that just because someone finds anothers behavior offensive, they don't have the right to deny them service in a public accommodation simply because they are offended?

If that's the case, why can anyone be denied service?

Your mention of protected class demonstrates the flaw in your argument. If you are picking and choosing protected classes, that's a form of discrimination.

I thought discrimination was bad. You are arguing that your form of discrimination, only certain classes are protected is ok, but if others practice discrimination you deem bad, they should be punished.

You undermine your own argument by suggesting the notion of protected classes and suggesting there are others that are not protected.

Double Standard!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: javacontour
So you want a society where it's ok for a Klansman to force a black lawyer to represent him in court?

You want a society where it's ok for a convicted Nazi war criminal to force a concentration camp survivor business owner to provide them a service because their business is a public, for profit, accommodation?

You want a society where it's ok for a 9/11 widow to have to serve meals to someone who says death to American and good on the 9/11 pilots and their "righteous" work simply because they own a restaurant?

There is a difference between being born black and between choosing to marry. One doesn't get to choose to be born. But anyone who marries is choosing who they marry and who they ask to participate in their event.

Race isn't a choice. Choosing who you will use to cater your wedding is a choice. Those who insist on forcing others to provide services against their deeply held beliefs demonstrate their hypocrisy in the matter. They resisted society telling them who they "should" marry, but then have no problem telling society they "should" be happy to provide their services at their wedding.

It's a double standard.

That's a ridiculous argument, last I checked klansman and convicts weren't in protected classes. Choosing who you marry certainly is a choice, being gay isn't. Times are changing, this train has left the station and isn't going back.

I could care less who marries who. I'm politically libertarian. If you want to smoke pot, marry someone of your same gender, or engage in acts with consenting adults, be my guest.

My problem is when you tell me I have to go along with your behavior. When your laws, rules and regulations impinge my freedom, we have a problem.

I'm willing to give you all the freedom you want. The problem is, your argument is not willing to do the same. If I wanted to run a for-profit wedding chapel, you want to have the right to tell me how I have to do it.

How is that freedom for me? I don't care who someone marries. But I may not want to have them marry in my place due to my deeply held religious beliefs.

Why not a solution that guarantees freedom for all, not just freedom from some politically correct group of "protected classes?"

No one is forced to do anything. If you open a business to the public, you serve the entire public and don't get to hang a sign on the door that says no blacks or no gays.

If you can't handle that due to your deeply held religious beliefs, I guess you better find another way to sustain yourself.

I don't care what he/she does to herself. I do care if healthcare dollars are wasted on this. This should be treated like cosmetic surgery. If they want to pay for it themselves and are able to, go for it. But not with pooled insurance money that is better spend on needed lifesaving healthcare costs.

Originally Posted By: 72te27
Originally Posted By: refaller
One last thing. IIRC, that same bakery baked a cake for a dog wedding. If so, then their argument of sacredness of marriage is even more ridiculous.
I think you are making things up. But I KNOW you're bloviating on what is or isn't sacred. Why don't you decide for yourself and butt out?
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/06/0...training-after/

Some stuff you can't make up...
http://www.advocate.com/politics/marriag...-discrimination

Quote:
Judge Robert Spencer of the Colorado Office of Administrative Courts announced the decision Friday, reports KDVR, noting that because the Jack Phillips, who owns Masterpiece Cakeshop, previously made cakes for the wedding of two dogs, his claims that a wedding between two men contradicted his religious beliefs didn't hold up.

smacks of bigotory rather than sacred belief...surprising that Faux left it out.

Same IMO as a bus driver refusing service to to guys holding hands.

Times are changing, this train has left the station and isn't going back.

This. May have been George Will who said something to the effect that the only people who are against equal rights regarding sexual orientation are old and dying off. Young people simply do not care. This whole subject is a done deal, it's just a matter of time. Javacontour, Trav, and their ilk are a dying breed.

Why do people have to spread all about their personal lives on some form of media. It there a need for celebrity? Sharing in general items is great but, a hey every one I am getting a sex change is not my a bit too personal. Don't care, don't need to hear about it.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Javacontour, Trav, and their ilk are a dying breed.

That's a ridiculous argument, last I checked klansman and convicts weren't in protected classes. Choosing who you marry certainly is a choice, being gay isn't. Times are changing, this train has left the station and isn't going back.

It's not me arguing against equal rights. I'm not the one suggesting that there are a limited number of protected classes.

Your vision of equal rights is something out of Orwell's 1984 and/or Animal Farm.

Quote:

All the animals were equal. Some were more equal than the others.

It may have been a long time since I read those books. But I can recognize the same pattern in what you two gentlemen are saying and what Orwell wrote about.

Ignorance is bliss.

Equality is a limited set of protected classes (and you are not in it.)

Instead of hoping folks like me die off, perhaps you better hope that there are more wise folks who are about real freedom and equality, not feel good sound bite equality that you see in pop culture.

I'm going to bring this back to the topic at hand, trans gender folks.

Bruce Jenner. Now that the public character assassination of him has begun, what's your thoughts on it?

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
I'm going to bring this back to the topic at hand, trans gender folks.

Bruce Jenner. Now that the public character assassination of him has begun, what's your thoughts on it?

I think he is mentally ill and needs a good head doctor not a surgeon.
49.gif

Counterpoint: what if he transitions and through it all the dysphoric-based depression, anxiety, fear, and shame/guilt are erased and replaced with a far more productive and happy person?

If that's the solution, then he figured out what makes life best. I don't see mentally ill, I see someone who is finally living their life free of all those nasry emotional things.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Good luck to em. Post back when after they march. lol

I will. I'm pretty sure the reaction is going to illustrate my point here pretty well.

jeff

Originally Posted By: Trav
Keep in mind its a 5 mi gauntlet saturated with people lets say not very sympathetic to the cause. lol

We'll see. I think the tide has turned much faster than you realize. Joke may be on you
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back