How do street addreses work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pontual
Shouldn't Every city addresses start at mark zero on its downtown center and count street distance (numbers in meters) from there? I think so.

You forget that many of us 'muricans don't understand what a meter is.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Street numbers in the US seem to have lots of digits, is there a reason for this, or are the streets just very long? In NZ, the highest street numbers I've ever lived in were both 98....now I live at No9.

The road I live on isn't that long. 60 miles / 97km. Passes through three counties / nine towns. I'd say about ten miles is in my town.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Shouldn't Every city addresses start at mark zero on its downtown center and count street distance (numbers in meters) from there? I think so.

Eh, close enough to a yard!

Originally Posted By: supton

Eh, close enough to a yard!

ok, but...the Metric System...it's scary!!!

Originally Posted By: Silk
Street numbers in the US seem to have lots of digits, is there a reason for this
The short answer is that they skip a lot of numbers, but there may be more to it.

In San Diego I had a five digit house number on a short cul-de-sac but if I google the house number and ZIP code I get only four houses with the same number on all streets. The population of that ZIP is 76,000 people.

ok, but...the Metric System...it's scary!!!

"Scary" doesn't even come close to describing how archaic the imperial system looks once you move to the other side.

To give you an idea, I live at 478 and the house across the street from me is 477.

The house next door on my left is 488 and the house next door on my right is 468.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back