bought a metal detector

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a metal detector coming this week . After a lot of research I picked the Teknetics Eurotech Pro . I narrowed it down from the Garrett Ace 250 and Fisher F2. These I here are all good detectors without spending a fortune. I`m just in it for the fun of it . It would be neat to find some really good stuff though.

My dad had one when I was a kid back in the 80's. I grew up on Lake Erie and his detector was paid for many times over. He'd also go to parks and school playgrounds and find things. Good exercise.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
They are fun. I found a diamond ring once at the beach. After that not so much.

An example of crazy laws.....in NY, if you found property in this manner and did not turn it into the local police department, technically it is a crime. Crazy!

Was going to say, laws have changed from back in the day. You can't metal detect in about any State or Federal government land without a permit. Basically, if you don't own the property, you have to get permission or a permit. Times have changed.

The government can make up a new law for any device.

Here are the simple requirements for Orange County, California.

City: Orange County, CA
Permit Required: Yes
Permit Fee: Yes
Phone Number: Yes
Website: http://www.orangecountyfl.net/Portals/0/..._App2.22.13.pdf
Law: ORANGE COUNTY PARKS AND RECREATION METAL DETECTING GUIDELINES
Permit Application Procedures

o Patron receives a copy of the Application and Guidelines. Patron completes Application.
o Patron submits completed Application (email, mail and fax are acceptable).
o Program Manager reviews Application within 14-days of receipt.
o Program Manager approves or denies the Application and contacts the user regarding the decision.
o Agreements expire one-year from the date of issue. Unless a new Application is submitted, the patron will be denied use of a metal detector from any date following expiration of the current Application.
Metal Detecting Conditions

o One Application can be used for approval at multiple park sites.
o Parents or guardians are responsible for signing Applications for their minor children.
o Metal detecting activities should not contribute to trail-blazing and should not be conducted in prohibited areas or areas where activity is discouraged (wetlands, environmentally-sensitive areas, archaeological sites, areas of historical significance or within any facility or structure).
o When metal detecting, the surrounding environment shall not be disturbed. The cutting of vegetation is prohibited.
o A hand tool for digging purposes is permitted. Holes should be no more than six-inches in depth.
o Any holes created must be refilled immediately. Failure to comply with this condition will result in the revocation of metal detecting approval.
o Metal detecting shall be conducted in patron-use areas only and all park structures shall be utilized appropriately during any search.
o Any actions that result in the harassment, endangerment, or death of any wildlife constitute grounds for immediate termination of Metal Detecting approval, expulsion from the park site and may additionally result in action by law enforcement.
o Metal detecting must take place within known park boundaries and cannot be conducted within 1,000 feet of neighboring houses or commercial industries adjacent to park perimeters.
o Metal detecting must take place during established park operating hours.
o Due to differences in park size, location and user activities, the number of metal detecting applications allowed per site may differ.
o All local regulations and ordinances must be followed while metal detecting.
o All Orange County Parks and Recreation Rules and Regulations must be followed while on park property.
o Metal detecting is prohibited in construction areas.
o Metal detecting may not be permitted in partnership properties or lands not owned by Orange County. Approval is contingent upon secondary approval from the principle agency.
o If physical signs of activity are impacting an approved location, management has the right to request that metal detecting activity cease in this area.
o Any person(s) found in violation of the above conditions may be restricted from metal detecting for up to one-year (1) at any Orange County Park or Recreation Site.
o Orange County Parks and Recreation is not liable for any damage to personal metal detectors from weather, vandalism, natural disaster, etc. or management activities conducted by the County or its contractors.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
They are fun. I found a diamond ring once at the beach. After that not so much.

An example of crazy laws.....in NY, if you found property in this manner and did not turn it into the local police department, technically it is a crime. Crazy!

The Police need Bling somehow.

Originally Posted By: Donald
When can you be at my church? I lost a key for the church in the leaves behind the church.

Donald, I went to Catholic School....what exactly were you doing in the leaves behind the church?

I have not detected in a few years. I got tired of digging up .22 shells and wire. Never anything else.

I was detecting in a park ,digging up razor blades from the bottom of the slide when I was shooed off by a Police officer and given a stern warning not to detect on city property.

He didn't care about the razors, only that I was gone.

Donald , send me an airline ticket along with hotel accomadations and I`ll get there when the weather warms up

well I got the Eurotek Pro in yesterday :) . Though we are are having a bit of a warm up there is stll too much snow on the ground and just walking on bare turf it seems pretty frozen.

Originally Posted By: Donald
When can you be at my church? I lost a key for the church in the leaves behind the church.
Relieving yourself behind the church???? LOL

From the news stories I've heard over the years, England seems to be the place to do that. Well documented areas of habitation, > 2000 years of accumulated stuff.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/30/156034893/metal-detector-hobbyists-find-rare-heap-of-celtic-coins

Quote:

Reg Mead and Richard Miles began to scour a field on their home island of Jersey - the one that's British, not the one next to New York - after hearing talk that a farmer had found some silver coins on the land. They are amateur metal detector hobbyists and they kept searching for 30 years. Well, earlier this week, they struck gold. Or at least silver.

With the help of some professionals, Reg Mead and Richard Miles unearthed a literal ton of coins - tens of thousands worth an estimated 10 million pounds - $15 million. Guess that pays off more than playing weekend golf for 30 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back