BMW Z3 2.5 with Castrol Edge 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me ask the guru's of BITOG your opinion. I just bought my wife a 2002 BMW Z3 with the 2.5 engine, low miles (32000). The previous owner did not know what type of oil he used, he just had the dealership change the oil.

The owners manual calls for a 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil depending on the temperature, approved for BMW's.

What is your opinion on running the Castrol Edge 0W-30 European formula in Texas year around?

Originally Posted By: garyb80
What is your opinion on running the Castrol Edge 0W-30 European formula in Texas year around?

Yes. Castrol 0w-30 has passed the toughest specs out there, like BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5, so its made to work great.
However, its cheaper to get the similar (actually updated) version of that oil which has more modern titanium AW additives in it, in Castrol 0w-40, & the 5-quart jug at Walmart is by far the best deal on that high performance oil I've ever found. (Castrol 0w-40 is only a little more viscous than the 0w-30 product.)

Castrol Edge 0W-30 or 0W-40, or Mobil 0w-40.

I wouldn't be concerned about the 30 weight vs. 40 weight.

You're BMW dealer would put a BMW labeled Castrol (maybe Shell?) Euro 5W-30 in it if you took it there for a change.

For the best value, Walmart's deal or the 0W-40 oils (always Mobil, sometimes Castrol) is the way to go.

Also go to Amazon for a Mahle filter for that car. Don't buy a FRAM or STP or other junk for your BMW.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Also go to Amazon for a Mahle filter for that car. Don't buy a FRAM or STP or other junk for your BMW.

Not good advice.

Mann-Hummel is a good alternative, and Fram or Wix make better filtration versions for BMWs.

Also, Amazon is often the most expensive for oil filters. Rockauto.com beats them for price all the time.

IMHO, go OEM for filters. They are usually made in Germany and can be purchased for a reasonable price. I pay about $10/each for them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
IMHO, go OEM for filters. They are usually made in Germany and can be purchased for a reasonable price. I pay about $10/each for them.

OEM filter will be Mann.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

OEM filter will be Mann.

Yup, but as QP can attest to, if you buy a MANN from say Bavauto, it will be made in Mexico. Buy the OEM BMW filter, and while it will also be MANN, it will be made in Germany (at least that has been my experience).

Interestingly enough, the OEM filter for my M5 is a Hengst BTW.

OEM filter will be Mann.

Yup, but as QP can attest to, if you buy a MANN from say Bavauto, it will be made in Mexico. Buy the OEM BMW filter, and while it will also be MANN, it will be made in Germany (at least that has been my experience).

OEM Mann's could be made anywhere.
OEM VW filters (Mann) that I bought were made in: Germany, Italy and Bosnia.
I personally know all about Bosnian site even before it was Mann site, and there is no difference between German, Italian or Bosnian. So, I would say that Mexican site is meeting all standards like Italian, german or Bosnian.

Yup, but as QP can attest to, if you buy a MANN from say Bavauto, it will be made in Mexico.

Not sure about Bavauto, but all the ones I bought from Amazon have always been made in Mexico.
smile.gif
The Knecht/Mahle ones from bimmerparts were made in Austria.

BTW, when you factor in free shipping, I have found Amazon prices on these filters often better than Rockauto's.

OEM filter will be Mann.

OEM Mann's could be made anywhere.
OEM VW filters (Mann) that I bought were made in: Germany, Italy and Bosnia.
I personally know all about Bosnian site even before it was Mann site, and there is no difference between German, Italian or Bosnian. So, I would say that Mexican site is meeting all standards like Italian, german or Bosnian.

I'm a bit of a COO freak. I'd take a German, US or Canadian filter over a Mexican or Chinese one. First world worker support and all that. Particularly if I'm paying the same price.

All I can say is: You will see much more products Made in MX.
As far as German or Italian, I know for a fact that reason why Mann bought Bosnian manufacturer UNICO is know-hw when it comes to technology of making filter paper. After Mann bought UNICO, Italian site was supplied with paper from Bosnia, and in last two years, that paper is exported to Germany too (possibly MX too).

Mann filters for the M54 are the best for the price. They are OEM and very inexpensive. Made in Mexico. I wouldn't overthink it.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Mann filters for the M54 are the best for the price. They are OEM and very inexpensive. Made in Mexico. I wouldn't overthink it.

Based on what? How well they filter? Wix, napa gold, Fram CH-, or Fram Ultra is the best choice for BMW, and they don't cost much more at all, maybe the same or a couple of bucks extra.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

Based on what? How well they filter? Wix, napa gold, Fram CH-, or Fram Ultra is the best choice for BMW, and they don't cost much more at all, maybe the same or a couple of bucks extra.

Based on the fact that Mann is actually OEM filter for BMW, and other vehicles coming from Germany. If FRAM is better, or NAPS etc, I think they would use it. They do not have issue using Bridgestone, Michelin tires, Japanese air bags, etc, so why not FRAM or WIX if it is better?
Comparing FRAM to Mann? Seriously?
When I see oil filter that is sold for $3, I would have hard time to use it to filter water for my dog, not oil in 50K car.

Last edited:
When I see oil filter that is sold for $3,

The irony is that a Fram Ultra for the OP's application is about twice as expensive as the OEM Mann. You pay double to experience a spectacular failure like the one I posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back