1 quart overfilled on GM 3.5....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in the Uplander in my sig today. Out went Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 and in went Valvoline MaxLife 5w30 synthetic blend. The filter stayed on from the previous oil change (Fram Ultra). Anyway I used my new fluid extractor, I pumped out 4 quarts (which is the capacity) and put 4.5 quarts back in because thats what it usually takes to bring it to the full mark. I checked the level and it wasn't registering on the dipstick. I checked multiple times and nothing! I have never had this happen before, so I added a little more oil to see if it would register but still nothing. Knowing that oil HAD to be in there I drove the van and rechecked the level, still not showing anything on the dipstick other than some residual oil from sliding the stick in and out of the dipstick tube. I say all that to say this....I pumped out 4 quarts (which is the oil capacity) put in 4.5 (not thinking about the filter that I DID NOT change, which probably holds half a quart). This leaves me a quart over filled, I dont know what it is about this oil, but its not letting me get an accurate reading, but will 1 quart over filled cause any damage? I saw a couple bubbles on the dipstick but no frothing or anything out of the ordinary.

I've had this happen before. Was the engine really cold when you filled it?

Take it for a long drive and get it hot. Don't add anymore oil. Then recheck it when it's hot.

One time, I kept adding oil and filled it full. After I took it for a long drive, it was way overfilled.

It's weird, but just trust me on this one.
wink.gif

Step 1 = Turn brain off

Step 2 = Add correct amount of oil and check for leaks

Step 3 = payoff

Maybe you should start fresh and drain it through the plug to get it back to where it needs to be?

My sister is in the market for another vehicle. Her 2000 Buick Century is on it's last legs (using a lot of coolant without any visible leaks...guessing its a gasket issue although the intake was replaced at about 80k miles...seems to run OK but they're now adding a lot of anti-freeze...car is a throw away). They don't have a lot of money and were considering a minivan (2 kids). I see there are some pretty good deals on the Uplander (and the Pontiac version). I drove a 2007 model with the 3.9L engine a while back...nice handling van with good power (I know the 2005 and 2006 used the 3.5L). Reviews are all over the place...some positive and some very negative. Problems run the gamut. I'm most concerned about the steering shaft problem and head gaskets on these engines (I had a 2008 Impala with the 3.5L that blew them at 65K miles...they were replaced under the drivetrain warranty). I do know 2 people with these vans that bought them new...and they're satisfied (one of them has 140K miles and is running great). The other alternative would be a Chrysler van (which I like but they have their own problems...plus the 2001-07 models are very rust-prone). Appreciate any input (they can't afford a Sienna or Odyssey).

Because my wife NEVER checks her oil level I routinely overfill by 1 quart with no issues. A bubble or 2 isn't a problem but if you see that the oil is frothed up like a Cappuccino or a Latte, that's when you would have to remove some from the pan.

Take a look at the section titled: "What happens when an engine is overfilled with oil?" - http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible_pg2.html

In short:

1.) You might blow your rear seal
2.) In manual transmission vehicles, this probably means the oil will get on the clutch and ruin it
3.) The oil can foam which means it's not lubricating the way it should and aerated oil will likely damage bearings (main, camshaft, etc.)
4.) "...excess oil gets thrown up into the piston bores where the piston rings have a hard time coping with the excess oil and pressure. It gets into the combustion chamber and some of it will get out into the exhaust system unburned resulting in a nice patina of oil all over the platinum surfaces of your catalytic converter. This renders it utterly useless for good."

Ed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back