Knowledge is expensive LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have learned here coupled with living in a sand rich dust bowl, I will be pitching my K&N and spectra gauze filters (5) I have been able to find Amsoil for 4 of the 5, still on the hunt for a replacement for a K&N RC-5000.

Thanks for blowing my yearly maint costs out of the park for 2015 LOL...

You will end up saving money in the long run; not just on car stuff, but lots of other things. I posted a question asking how to prime my oil furnace and several people responded, even photoshopping my photos. It saved me a call to the service company.

The Amsoil filters are top notch if you can't find a replacement for the last vehicle just go with a name brand paper filter or oem if it's not much more.

The standard Fram paper air filters are great as well as Motorcraft or AC delco if that's what you need. Rockauto has many choices if you're having trouble. Baldwin/Hastings also make good stuff.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
You will end up saving money in the long run; not just on car stuff, but lots of other things. I posted a question asking how to prime my oil furnace and several people responded, even photoshopping my photos. It saved me a call to the service company.

Yup, like for example, what vacuum and flashlight/torch should I get?

Canister: Miele Callisto
and upright: Carpet Pro CPU 2t Commercial

Flashlights and torchs from Nitecore.

Pet food: Orijen, Acana

Best car wash soap: Duragloss 902

The replacement for the last one, K&N RC-5000 has to be an oval clamp on as it is a LS98 throttle body on a GM ramjet 502 and it came from the factory with this K&N just GM stamped on the cover instead of K&N. Space is tight so size does matter.

Update, I pulled the K&N RC-5000 off to get the model number off the back and low and behold the intake is dirty, made a paper towel dirty brown cleaning it out. This filter was only about a year old and had been serviced once. I am sure the whole intake is dirty... So finding something else for this has got to happen. I will also be looking in the other cars as I replace them although I know the WRX intake with K&N was clean last time it was serviced. Still not keeping the K&N or Spectre. Wondering what the Spectre intakes will look like as they have not been serviced yet and the intakes were clean when they went in. Granted the 502 sucks more air than all my other cars combined, it really sucks to know K&N let that much dirt in and that it was GM spec's!!! Its oil change time for it as well.

Last edited:
I used to run K & N air filters; and my UOA was showing silicon counts in the hundreds, approaching thousands. (Blackstone and other labs caution going over about 20 ppm on silicon).

If you wikipedia silicon; Over 90% of the Earth's crust is composed of silicate minerals, making silicon the second most abundant element in the Earth's crust (about 28% by mass) after oxygen.[7] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon

Silicon is inescapable; it is in the air we (and our engines) breathe. Silicon is ROCK, and, according to Alan Bender, Director of Oil Analyzers test lab, whom I have spoken to regarding this, the two WORST things in a UOA are iron particles and silicon.

Iron particles are your engine disintegrating (literally and microscopically) and silicon, being harder than iron, will grind and abrade MORE iron into your system. So what's a fellow to do?

I switched to a nanofiber air filter, and my silicon counts dropped to normal levels. I've done this on all three cars I own; and I have UOA on all three.

If you want to Baja race in the desert; run a K&N filter, they are the best air filters in the world for off-road coarse dust. If you drive on pavement, you will encounter FINE dust, and a nanofiber air filter will filter out about 50 times more particulate matter. The US Army uses this technology on the battle proven Abrams tank:

http://www.ultimatesyntheticoil.com/Filters/Ea_Nanofiber_air_filters.htm

And no, I'm not an Amsoil dealer. I would run these filters if Avon or Tupperware sold them. Quality speaks for itself.

Originally Posted By: Skanky
The replacement for the last one, K&N RC-5000 has to be an oval clamp on as it is a LS98 throttle body on a GM ramjet 502 and it came from the factory with this K&N just GM stamped on the cover instead of K&N. Space is tight so size does matter.

You can get an amsoil filter for that application.

According to the Amsoil people they do not make a filter for the K&N RC-5000 so badtlc if you or anyone else has any info that would prove them wrong I am all ears. Or know of any other brands that have a fit for it.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend any oiled gauze air filter where lots of dust was present. Thankfully our UOA on the 2.0T w/K&N, have only shown a 2ppm increase of Si on avg. That being said, the wife isnt too found of the increased wooosh sound from the turbo so we may go back to paper element since she's the primary driver.

Last edited:
I am just gong to make a 3/8" pre-filter to actually filter for the K&N since I am not finding anything else. I will use Uni-Filter foam and Belray foam filter oil on it. Hopefully that will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back