Interesting night at the dragstrip last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live 3 miles from PBIR, Palm Beach Intl Raceway (used to be Moroso) . I wander over there regularly to watch the crazy people, and every once in a while, participate in a track day, kart rental or drag race.

Anyway, last night was a cool South Florida night and that brings out many of the locals looking for fast times. There was quite an interesting mix of cars. From Civic's, old Toyota's and other small cars, to a few Funny Cars and everything in between.

Some interesting cars: (disclaimer, by memory, so could be off a bit, but the general idea is there) Infinity Q50 hybrid 13.8 @ 103 and 105, 2014 Vette with centrifugal supercharger/auto and tune, otherwise stock, even stock exhaust 10.7 @ 133, Nissan GTR with a whole bunch of mods, 9.2 @ 127 (he let off) and later trapped 155. Hellcat 11.9 @ 127, An 8 second V6 Mustang, 2015 Mustang, 12.8 @ 111, And, of course the Camaro SS 13.1 @ 109. Stock 2015 Vette 12.2 @ 118.

It's interesting how incredibly slow the "normal" cars are. There was a brand new Honda Civic, and he ran 17 something in the mid 80's. Same goes for the pedestrian Subaru's and other small cars. All 16 or 17 seconds in the 80-90 MPH range.

There is no question the GTR steals the show when it comes to street car performance. The announcer was talking about one that comes close to 200 MPH. We did not see those kind of speeds, but we did see one reach the mid 8's.

My personal favorite was the 2014 Vette with bolt on supercharger/tune. A 10 second street car, that is easy to build, and not all that expensive to produce.

Last edited:
Neat. I know someone who is modding his GTr and should have well over 900WHP. Looking forward to seeing results of that on the track...

Sheesh....

It doesn't seem that long ago that any car that could beat my Kawasaki's 7.5 1/8th mile (around an 11.7 1/4) was a trailer queen.

Street cars couldn't touch it.

Texas Raceway would let bikes run against cars at that time. I destroyed the egos of many a Mustang 5.0 driver. Really good drivers were cutting low 9s. 1.5 seconds is a long time to lose by.

The fastest time would years ago require cars without proper manners. {an all out unstreetable race car}

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Neat. I know someone who is modding his GTr and should have well over 900WHP. Looking forward to seeing results of that on the track...

The AWD system on that car is masterful!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I live 3 miles from PBIR, Palm Beach Intl Raceway (used to be Moroso) . I wander over there regularly to watch the crazy people, and every once in a while, participate in a track day, kart rental or drag race.

Anyway, last night was a cool South Florida night and that brings out many of the locals looking for fast times. There was quite an interesting mix of cars. From Civic's, old Toyota's and other small cars, to a few Funny Cars and everything in between.

Some interesting cars: (disclaimer, by memory, so could be off a bit, but the general idea is there) Infinity Q50 hybrid 13.8 @ 103 and 105, 2014 Vette with centrifugal supercharger/auto and tune, otherwise stock, even stock exhaust 10.7 @ 133, Nissan GTR with a whole bunch of mods, 9.2 @ 127 (he let off) and later trapped 155. Hellcat 11.9 @ 127, An 8 second V6 Mustang, 2015 Mustang, 12.8 @ 111, And, of course the Camaro SS 13.1 @ 109. Stock 2015 Vette 12.2 @ 118.

It's interesting how incredibly slow the "normal" cars are. There was a brand new Honda Civic, and he ran 17 something in the mid 80's. Same goes for the pedestrian Subaru's and other small cars. All 16 or 17 seconds in the 80-90 MPH range.

There is no question the GTR steals the show when it comes to street car performance. The announcer was talking about one that comes close to 200 MPH. We did not see those kind of speeds, but we did see one reach the mid 8's.

My personal favorite was the 2014 Vette with bolt on supercharger/tune. A 10 second street car, that is easy to build, and not all that expensive to produce.

Funny part of it is that about half of those cars sound like they would whoop on the almighty Bugatti Veyron. Much like the Twin Turbo Hennessey Viper did. Standing Mile 224MPH (! wow) Viper vs 204MPH Veyron - not bad, but. The Viper whoopedn.nwhoopedn.whooped..

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Sheesh....

It doesn't seem that long ago that any car that could beat my Kawasaki's 7.5 1/8th mile (around an 11.7 1/4) was a trailer queen.

Street cars couldn't touch it.

Texas Raceway would let bikes run against cars at that time. I destroyed the egos of many a Mustang 5.0 driver. Really good drivers were cutting low 9s. 1.5 seconds is a long time to lose by.

I went to school with a couple of dudes that had 12-second cars. Both did it the old-fashioned way: lots of cubes! One ran mid-12's with a 410ci FE (360/390 block, 428 crank) in an F100 pickup, the other ran 12-flat with a 460 Torino.

Gotta love those cool Florida nights with the good Density Altitude numbers!

Watched a brand new Charger SRT8 run a 12.64 with stock rubber in Bradenton in 2005. I ran 12.89 with 700 miles on the car.

I prefer to focus on the trap speed. I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing a pumped up GTR doing 155 mph! Looking forward to that.

Any night at the strip is better than a lot of other options...

Last edited:
Was the Hellcat on factory stock rear rubber?
21.gif

(Did it seem like he could drive otherwise, if he was??)

Do these super quick GTRs disable ALL of their 'nannies', or just some of them?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Watched a brand new Charger SRT8 run a 12.64 with stock rubber in Bradenton in 2005. I ran 12.89 with 700 miles on the car.

I prefer to focus on the trap speed. I have not yet had the pleasure of seeing a pumped up GTR doing 155 mph! Looking forward to that.

My buddy's TT Termi trapped 145 IIRC, but the pass was awful (it was like a low 10 or something) due to excessive wheel spin.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Funny part of it is that about half of those cars sound like they would whoop on the almighty Bugatti Veyron. Much like the Twin Turbo Hennessey Viper did. Standing Mile 224MPH (! wow) Viper vs 204MPH Veyron - not bad, but. The Viper whoopedn.nwhoopedn.whooped..

The Hofman Ford GT did the standing mile @ 267Mph with a stock bottom end and a pair of twins on it.

http://www.gizmag.com/hofman-motorsport-heffner-performance-2006-ford-gt/15055/

It is a little crazy that we are where we're at.

Heck, my GTI is very much on the "pedestrian" side compared to most of the vehicles listed here, and an upgraded turbo with supporting upgrades, 100 octane, drag radials, and good conditions it's knocking on 11's.

I don't think the average Joe (like the idiot racing the Tesla) can put the power to the ground on the Hellcats -- especially if it's a manual. The stock tires are also ridiculously narrow. Camaros were wearing tires that wide 15 years ago!

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Was the Hellcat on factory stock rear rubber?
21.gif

(Did it seem like he could drive otherwise, if he was??)

Do these super quick GTRs disable ALL of their 'nannies', or just some of them?

Sorry, I don't really know the answers. The Hellcat was clearly new, and I suspect excessive wheelspin was responsible for "low" ET. Trap speed was really good though!!!!!

The GTR boys keep the hoods closed, and it's difficult to tell what's been done even with the hoods open. These guys drive to the track, do a few runs and drive home. In perfectly sedate cars. But, like mentioned above, the AWD system is masterful on those cars. They run absurd speeds with zero drama.

Here is a video of the Hellcat this night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dA1x_un1cM

And a basic GTR run, nothing special for this car!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln8psHJlYCs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

My buddy's TT Termi trapped 145 IIRC, but the pass was awful (it was like a low 10 or something) due to excessive wheel spin.

It seems bizarre to me that all that wheelspin likely resulted in a BETTER trap! There's one i never figured out...

It seems bizarre to me that all that wheelspin likely resulted in a BETTER trap! There's one i never figured out...

How does that even make sense?

Not saying it ain't so just that if the tires are spinning its loosing forward momentum.
I would love to be at the track. -32 or something retarded last night. My tires needed a couple miles before they loosened up and started rolling and not flubbing.

MPH is a mathematical calculation at the track. You trip a sensor at 66 feet before the finish and then the finish. The time it takes you to go between the two is how you get your speed. Some tracks also have an 1/8 mile(660 feet) speed sensor, which of course, is how you get your 1/8 mile MPH.

I know I have discussed this at the track. It was explained to me as follows, whether or not it is true I cannot say.
If you leave tires spinning(within reason not half way down the track), you have a bad 60 foot, so a lower ET but when you hook you are higher in the RPM band thus making more power and MPH, so in the same distance you pick up some mph. Seems plausible but I cannot say for sure.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

How does that even make sense?

Not saying it ain't so just that if the tires are spinning its loosing forward momentum.
I would love to be at the track. -32 or something retarded last night. My tires needed a couple miles before they loosened up and started rolling and not flubbing.

You ever snowmobile? The crackle of a perfectly jetted 3 pipe triple at 8k rpm in -20C makes you feel sorry for those poor guys down south...

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
MPH is a mathematical calculation at the track. You trip a sensor at 66 feet before the finish and then the finish. The time it takes you to go between the two is how you get your speed. Some tracks also have an 1/8 mile(660 feet) speed sensor, which of course, is how you get your 1/8 mile MPH.

I know I have discussed this at the track. It was explained to me as follows, whether or not it is true I cannot say.
If you leave tires spinning(within reason not half way down the track), you have a bad 60 foot, so a lower ET but when you hook you are higher in the RPM band thus making more power and MPH, so in the same distance you pick up some mph. Seems plausible but I cannot say for sure.

I have been told the same thing since 1970! Truly does not make sense to me.

How can the trap be higher with excessive wheelspin than when I get my best start? It seems hard to swallow that wild wheelspin off the line kills my ET yet rewards me with my best trap speed....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back