My friend's car has been overfilled for 150k+ KM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm laughing my as.s off here. He bought a used 01 Accord for dirt cheap about 2 months ago. It has a new engine put in about 150K KM ago, it currently has over 300K KM on the body. He did the first oil change a few weeks ago, 5L jug of Motomaster 5w30 dino on sale @ CT. Used an oil extractor because he's lazy and sucked out 4.6L, poured in the whole 5L jug and it was at the full mark on the dipstick, all seemed well. I didn't ask details at the time because he's done dozens of oil changes and it seemed routine because he's a car enthusiast.

Today he told me he saw bubbles on the dipstick. I checked the oil capacity for the F23A1 engine: 4.3L WITH OIL FILTER.

The engine has been running overfilled on oil with the wrong dipstick length for upto 150K KM.

Q7qHm9H.png

Not really going to hurt anything. My car calls for 4.5 quarts it gets 5 quarts every time. It will not hurt anything. Many people overfill. Its when you go over board (1+ quarts) when you run into problems.

Yes it does hurt the engine. BECAUSE THERE ARE BUBBLES ON THE DIPSTICK. Last time I checked, air is not a good lubricant.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Yes it does hurt the engine. BECAUSE THERE ARE BUBBLES ON THE DIPSTICK. Last time I checked, air is not a good lubricant.
Check in again when the engine has gone another 150 thousand. And stuff the all caps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Not really going to hurt anything. My car calls for 4.5 quarts it gets 5 quarts every time. It will not hurt anything. Many people overfill. Its when you go over board (1+ quarts) when you run into problems.
The only time my Camry was overfilled was by the dealer when it was under warranty. The dealer rep said it was normal to put 4 quarts in the engine which by the book was supposed to take 3.7.

My moms Elantra technically holds 4.23 quarts IIRC. The first few OCIs accidentally received 5 quarts. She still runs.
smile.gif

From the title I thought I was going to read about something significant. Three minutes I'll never get back lol.

Buddie's XL7 got overfilled by a shop by the exact amount it consumes in 3k mi. I thought that was neat.
smile.gif
no harm in it, unless you check your oil with the engine running.

I love how the least educated people voice the most opinions. Bubbles on the dipstick means the oil is foaming from the crankshaft, but everything is still fine! Keep running for another 10k miles!

I love how the least educated people voice the most opinions. Bubbles on the dipstick means the oil is foaming from the crankshaft, but everything is still fine! Keep running for another 10k miles!

I think it's because people find it hard to believe that the oil is aerating with only that much of an over-fill. You said that he told you he saw bubbles, but also that he's a car enthusiast, so why hasn't he noticed the bubbles before?

Couple the above with the fact that he has gone so long without any apparent issue, and you'll understand why none of us is very impressed by your tale.

How do you know our level of education, by the way? Have you been keeping track of who posts what or is that a defensive reaction to everyone's even-keeled responses to something you're clearly upset over? Regardless, what a weird remark.

Last edited:
Yet that engine is running OK after all those miles.
Hmmmm... sure bubbles reduce lubrication, that parts true in general. Maybe some extra wear is all. Nothing too serious if the rings and journal bearings are hanging in there.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I think it's because people find it hard to believe that the oil is aerating with only that much of an over-fill. You said that he told you he saw bubbles, but also that he's a car enthusiast, so why hasn't he noticed the bubbles before?

Couple the above with the fact that he has gone so long without any apparent issue, and you'll understand why none of us is very impressed by your tale.

How do you know our level of education, by the way? Have you been keeping track of who posts what or is that a defensive reaction to everyone's even-keeled responses to something you're clearly upset over? Regardless, what a weird remark.

It's at least a 700ml overfill which is almost a quart (946ml) to you muricans. I guess no one read the story. He bought the car recently and this was the first oil change he did on it. He got 4.6L out with the oil extractor so it was already at least a 300ml overfilled before, possibly more. 300ml overfill isn't harmful but who knows how overfilled it was before he got it, because the dipstick is wrong and 5L reads full when it should be 4.3L max.

300ml overfill isn't harmful but who knows how overfilled it was before he got it, because the dipstick is wrong and 5L reads full when it should be 4.3L max.

A lot of cars spec an oil fill that will bring the oil level up to the middle of the dipstick, and 1/2 a quart extra will bring it up to the top of the acceptable range on the dipstick. I don't remember if my F22A1 was like this or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back