2000 Corolla sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: mymdx
Dealer asked part ($326.72), Labor ($166.20), total with tax $514.69. It is crazy.

I just order a new part ($29) from ebay. It looks like a few minutes work to put new part on.

Nothing wrong with a good used part, i prefer one any day to a reman.
Toyota does put a black coating on the baffle at the fill hole on many engines, this is well known and documented.
Pull the battery cable for 15 min while you do the job then connect it after so the ecm can relearn.
brand new part for cnd 29.

Toyota does put a black coating on the baffle at the fill hole on many engines, this is well known and documented.

Please enlighten me.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Did you scrape off the sludge? Toyota's are know for having black wrinkle-paint covered baffles under the valve covers, and I think everyone would ask if what you scraped off was sludge or did it flake off like paint would.

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX

Please enlighten me.

The baffle viewed down the hole of Kitacam...no black paint here...maybe newer cars perhaps.

incp.jpg

Last edited:
40 Days before and after. The first picture is before. Looks like it is getting cleaner.

2015011923_2a8903cc74e75d3a02c62jkuBSs42W8y.jpg

40 Days before and after. The first picture is before. Looks like it is getting cleaner.

I don't see any real or significant difference between those 2 pictures.

Shrug, looks same to me. Oil itself will not do much cleaning. you have to use something stronger, like MMO, Kreen or engine flush. BTW, painted oil baffle was in circa 2000 camrys, never in corollas.

The codes seem to indicate intake leak. Intake manifold gasket is known to fail VERY COMMONLY in older corollas like yours. Easy fix and gasket is only several bucks. I would do it first.

I can tell this part of sludge is gone. Anyway try to replace MAF sensor first as it is on the way.

2015012021_429748d041a9f40ad722bWaWHUKtBVJA.jpg

Don't be shocked if its DOA or fails in a short time. Wait and see you may get lucky.

The part is on today, checking engine light is off, so far so good. Next job will be get rid of sludge.

Don't be shocked if its DOA or fails in a short time. Wait and see you may get lucky.

Too optimistic yesterday, CEL on again, looks like my old MAF sensor is in working condition. Try to replace intake manifold gasket next.
confused.gif

Last edited:
Then some stealers wonder why they only have warranty work.. Of course some dealers have learned and realize if they continue to try and rip off the customer they lose business and word gets around. Some dealers are honest and reasonable but most of them are not in my opinion and we deal with a lot of them. And some just don't know..

Get the whole worx done (full engine tune-up), use Fuel systems cleaners every gas tank and at least 3 to 4 short oil changes, take car out on highway, drive at max legal speed (or above a bit if you are comfortable to do so) for like 20 min few times every week.

Engine might not be the only problem, like you said MAF, thermostat, clogged up cooling system... Corolla's engine are notoriously known to burn oil after 120K km....

After putting on the new MAF sensor, CEL light keep on and off.
day 1, off,
day 2, on,
day 3, off,
day 4, off then on.
Anybody has a clue? Thanks.

Not yet. I am thinking replace intake gasket in spring if CEL is still on.

Friends, I was discussing issue pertaining to my 04 Corolla on couple different threads going back few years, the issue was oil leaked and burned even after changing gaskets and using oil at point as thick as T6 5W40, the issue was progressively getting worse start at about 150K. Anyways after driving the car about 360K KM, the whole body had been eaten away by now, so we decided to dispose the car, it was a family mule. Anyways, what I want to share is that the oil leak issue was completely and absolutely resolved when I changed the Oil Filter SWITCH.

Peace

You waited too long in between oil changes. Just like how you you've been driving around 3 years with a check engine light on, a misfire code nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back