Chris King RingDrive substitute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of building up a new bike and eventually I'll build up a new set of wheels with a pair of Chris King hubs, I'm using their headset and bottom bracket and they say a synthetic waterproof grease works fine there and I will be using Mobilith SHC220 for that. However they recommend their lube for their hubs but they also say 10W-30 synthetic oil can be used in the freehub drive assembly. Perhaps one of the grease guys or MolaKule can answer this but is their stuff simply synthetic NLGI 0/00 grease with a light base oil? Can I use SHC220 in this app?

http://chrisking.com/store/tech

OP, Cris King designs and builds some fantastic bicycle components. World class stuff, truly so. With their lube costing just $9 - and it comes in a nice applicator bottle - why would you want to use anything else?

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
OP, Cris King designs and builds some fantastic bicycle components. World class stuff, truly so. With their lube costing just $9 - and it comes in a nice applicator bottle - why would you want to use anything else?

Scott

Yes, if you can afford their top grade components (I have their head set in my Merlin Road frame), you can splurge on their bespoke lube.
smile.gif

I'd love to build up a set of wheels with their hubs, Enve 45mm deep carbon rims, and some aero X-ray spokes.
20.gif
But $$$$$!!!
eek.gif

dd, Nice! I always liked those Merlins. I like Ti bikes and have a Seven Axiom, all Campy Record Ergo with a Shamal wheelset. I have a total of three fully custom bikes and each has a Chris King headset (as well as Campy Record). Chris King was able to turn a wear prone item into something that is virtually indestrucible. I love their headsets.

Scott

dd, Nice! I always liked those Merlins. I like Ti bikes and have a Seven Axiom, all Campy Record Ergo with a Shamal wheelset. I have a total of three fully custom bikes and each has a Chris King headset (as well as Campy Record). Chris King was able to turn a wear prone item into something that is virtually indestrucible. I love their headsets.

Scott

Have Chris King headsets on my Seven Axion Steel, Soulcraft hard tail and Tall Boy. Simply the best. Why use anything but their lube?

Last edited:
Sam, gotta love those Sevens! I have a bike "thing" and have been considering a Seven Axiom steel to add to my fleet. Not that I need one. I already have three full custom road bikes. I'm 6'5" with a slightly longer torso and arms than normal for a person my size so I need a longer top tube. Plus, I'm particular on how a bike handles. Seven did a great job building me a frame that suited my needs and likes. I have magnificent fillet-brazed "Saso" (not Salsa) made with Tange Prestige and Ultimate tubing. That frame is almost 25 years old but I still ride it at least once a week. I keep the Record gruppos and wheel sets updated so why not?! I love that bike and in the '90s competed in three California Triple Crowns on it.

If I ever get a carbon frame it will most likely be a Seven, since I understand that they are one of the VERY few who lay up their own carbon tubes HERE in the states, and will build it to your size specs.
smile.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Scott

I'd like to have one lube for all the bearings on this bike. Less stuff to keep track of. Although my bike shop owner friend has a few bottles on the workbench at all times...
smile.gif

Strait from Chris King

Quote:
Rear hub versions 310 though 313 were originally designed to run on 20w non detergent or, preferably, 20w synthetic oil. This lubrication method works well, however, starting at version 314, we improved the system by converting it to run on a special grease.

I've personally not owned CK hubs (but was a bicycle mechanic for 8 years so I worked on them), but I do use DT hubs which also uses a clutch plate drive system. Slick Honey (Slickoleum) works awesome on those and is also an excellent bicycle bearing and suspension grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back