Drive Works Oil Filters Verses The Others ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Originally Posted By: ted s
people complaining about china filters while buying kias and hundyis

KIA and Hyundai both produce cars in the US.

And South Korea is a US Ally and always has been, not a communist nation with ballistic missiles pointed at us.

I have a few Pronto filters, which are honestly the same thing as Driveworks, except with white and blue paint and cross-reference information on the can. I believe mine are made in Korea, as are certain other applications. Well built filter with nice pleat spacing and heft. I'd put build quality up there with a Wix-made filter. Mine were $1.90 a piece, and I feel that for the money I got an excellent filter.

It is not like GM manufacturers vehicles/components in Korea or China and then imports them to the United States. Oh, wait. They do. Nothing like imported Chinese motor to push around your "buy American" mobile.

Anyway, the country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a product. Anybody could potentially make a good product. We are all bashing "imported" items any yet I bet all of the computers we are using are not US-made. All lament the lack of quality! I am all for buying "local" (actually buying American is less important to me than buying NC/VA/SC/TN products if possible. Detroit or Shanghai could be the same for all I care.

As for driveworks, meh, not a great filter. Both Napa and Oreillys have better in-house filters so I would not even consider Driveworks. However, I like AAP because their prices are decent and they are from VA.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Anyway, the country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a product. Anybody could potentially make a good product. We are all bashing "imported" items any yet I bet all of the computers we are using are not US-made.

I have been preaching this exact same thing here and it always gets disregarded. I wonder why.. Lol. The coffee mug I am drinking out of now which says "Don't tread on me" with the Gadsden flag has a nice Made in China stamp engraved on the bottom. Its an awesome over sized mug. What can I say? Good luck finding US made dishes. I just now Googled this and the first result it showed had "American" in the title, but the word imported was in the description. Lol.

I feel the country of origin doesn't matter either, BUT i would prefer the products come from a well known company. I would rather buy a Chinese Fram filter than a DW filter if I had to pick between the two. As said before, the Fram filter will have their in house quality control. We dont exactly know what DW has honestly.

I will preach that if there is a US made option for less, then it should be bought instead IMO. The TG 9688 vs. the WIX/ NG (5)1334 being my best example.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Anyway, the country of origin has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of a product. Anybody could potentially make a good product. We are all bashing "imported" items any yet I bet all of the computers we are using are not US-made.

I have been preaching this exact same thing here and it always gets disregarded. I wonder why.. Lol. The coffee mug I am drinking out of now which says "Don't tread on me" with the Gadsden flag has a nice Made in China stamp engraved on the bottom. Its an awesome over sized mug. What can I say? Good luck finding US made dishes. I just now Googled this and the first result it showed had "American" in the title, but the word imported was in the description. Lol.

I feel the country of origin doesn't matter either, BUT i would prefer the products come from a well known company. I would rather buy a Chinese Fram filter than a DW filter if I had to pick between the two. As said before, the Fram filter will have their in house quality control. We dont exactly know what DW has honestly.

I will preach that if there is a US made option for less, then it should be bought instead IMO. The TG 9688 vs. the WIX/ NG (5)1334 being my best example.

Agreed. There are US dishes... if you don't mind Fiesta color.

Anyway, being US and cheaper is not a automatic... it has to be a better product as well. I think we know of a recent German-owned, US made and branded filter company with significant QC issues. Who knows, AAP could have some decent QC standards behind the scenes but while I have not heard of major DW filter failures, overall, the filter is "meh" at best and there are other better low-priced options.

It's not about "can" its about a history of past performance. China is deservedly well known for making a lot of cheap garbage. That doesn't mean that's all they can make.

I have dealt with Chinese manufacturing a couple of times. They will make a quality product if you want it, but you have to watch them like hawks because they will start cutting corners the second you turn your back. You have to be on it constantly.

Anyway, with quality American made filters priced very close to a Driveworks I still don't see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back