A Fairly New Base Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
This polymer base oil has a low traction coefficient, good solubility with GroupI-IV oils, good seal compatibility, high viscosity indices (to over 200), low friction coefficient, low deposits, fast air release, and are less hydroscopic than esters.

The starting material can be 1,2-butylene oxide.

This base oil has recently found application for use in Wind Turbine lubrication.

What is this base oil?

Guidelines for the Question of the Day:

1. No Piston Cup Lapel Pin will be awarded to the same person within 14 days of a previous award.

2. Please respond with a complete sentence or explanation.

3. Please do not post links. If a question arises as to the need for clarification, then sources and links may be requested.

4. Please, no off topic posts.

Last edited:
Oil Soluble Synthetic Polyalkylene Glycols or PAG.
A new range of oil soluble PAGs (OSP) has recently been
developed and derived from downstream derivatives of butylene oxide.
One of traditional PAGs limitations is their poor miscibility in
hydrocarbon oils.

Just some info.
PAGs (OSPs) can generate much thicker EHD films than mineral
oils and PAOs under higher contact pressures
- 10-25% thicker EHD films at 60-100oC

I've got a half-bottle of PAG left from when I replaced the AC compressor in the Camaro. Can I dump that in my crankcase? It's a really cool blue color.

I would honestly say no.
The new base oil mixes with auto engine oils traditional PAG does not mix properly among other problems.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
I would honestly say no.
The new base oil mixes with auto engine oils traditional PAG does not mix properly among other problems.

I agree with Koz1 and Koz1 wins the Piston Cup Lapel Pin, now in 3-D format.
banana2.gif

The Oil Soluble Polyalkylene Glycols (OSPs) have all of the above advantages mentioned plus provide better "high-load" oil films, thus requiring fewer AW and EP additives.

They have found application in Wind Turbine transmissions because they reduce micropitting caused by oscillatory loads and some EP additives.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Koz1
I would honestly say no.

I agree with Koz1 and Koz1 wins the Piston Cup Lapel Pin, now in 3-D format.
banana2.gif

The Oil Soluble Polyalkylene Glycols (OSPs) have all of the above advantages mentioned plus provide better "high-load" oil films, thus requiring fewer AW and EP additives.

They have found application in Wind Turbine transmissions because they reduce micropitting caused by oscillatory loads and some EP additives.

Thank You sir.

Now how do I claim this Piston Cup Lapel Pin.
Sounds Interesting. Is it virtual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back