Was Fram ever really that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see so many recommendations to use Fram UG and Fram in general that it makes me wonder if all that negative talk about the brand was just that. Talk?

I know there is not a lot of love for paper end caps for the media, and perhaps the upper level TG & UG get their recommendations based on the use of metal, but if the brand had a bad rap in the past I'd expect to see lingering effects on this forum, but I don't.
confused.gif

So please school me: was it all [censored], or a case of people loving to knock the biggest guy off his pedestal just for their own jealous petty reasons.

Thanks again, Ken.

The thing to remember with these tall tales is sometimes maintenance history isn't mentioned. I highly doubt a 1970's FRAM orange can was intended for ten thousand mile or more use. Kind of like how non detergent oil wasn't intended for OHV engine lubrication. So when someone says, "that FRAM ruined my engine" or, "Quaker State causes sludge".......maybe they used QS non detergent with a FRAM orange can for 15,000 miles in a '77 Cutlass. Know what I'm getting at?

It could have been none of the above. Yes some called it the "Orange Can of Death" but many of us said (myself included) that we had used Fram filter for many years, decades even, without any problems. We would usually say there were better filters out there for the money.
As I've stated before the biggest problem I had with the orange Fram filters was my Fords would have start up rattle about half way through the OCI. I tried the other Frams with the silcone anti-drain back valve and didn't have that problem.

Last edited:
I think there were other filters at a better price point than FRAM (versus construction) and certainly there is no love lost for the fiber end caps (the function of which is still misunderstood by many), but to say it was a total train wreck is pushing the envelope far beyond reasonable. My Dad used FRAM the entire 50 odd years he drove and not a single one of them caused a problem--obviously they were others who did.

Statistically speaking though, I would wonder how many actual failures there were versus the sheer number of them that were sold. I have not researched, but at one time was FRAM not the number one selling filter in the US? I could not find any data, but growing up, Purloator and Bosch were not on the radar regarding filters--everyone bought FRAM, I used them myself along with AC Delco until the early 80s. I did not use another FRAM until 2014 but it will not be my last. I have converted my entire fleet over to FRAM Ultra.

There were many reports of Fram filter media disintegrating and destroying roller bearing crank Suzukis

The irony of that is that Fram probably didn't even make that filter. They probably imported them from another company and packaged them as their own.

Late '70s People's Republic of China quality control?
21.gif

I don't know anyone who had a car engine problem with a Fram filter. The main problem there for me is that there are better filters at or less than the price of the orange can.

Fram Extra Guard isn't bad but for its quality the price is a little more than it should be, especially the lack of filter media.

Fram Tough Guard and Ultra are very good, especially the Ultra is excellent for the price, it is the best buy synthetic filter.

The whole "Orange Can of Death" (OCOD) was more hyperbole. There are so man Fram filters on cars, we'd know if they were bad. They're not, they're fine. It just used to be that for the same price, or less, better filters were available. That's it. It's just that they didn't used to be a great value. But there's nothing wrong with using one, no harm will come to your engine.

I'm a big fram fan. I've been using them since the first day I needed an oil filter. They are very easy to get in bc and Alberta. All walmarts and Canadian tires stock them. If on sale I can get an orange can for 3.50$ ish. The next best filter and price would be Napa. I don't like how that manufacturer makes the filter media so short. my versa filter was only about an inch and a half tall compared to the 3" from the frams.
Their prices are also high unless you have a high discount.

I've noticed that Fram uses high-efficiency media in even their lowest cost oil filters, the orange can ones. Its better media at 95% down to 20 microns than all the 100% paper media you see in the bargain brands. Why would they put so much efficiency in their lowest cost part of the line?

As for their construction quality control and design, I think they have improved that compared to around 10 years ago.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the orange can is junk cut one open and see for yourself. Its a no Brainer

What does that mean exactly? With the number of cars that used them and still ran for multitudes of thousands of miles they still work. Are you referring to the overall quality or?

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Why would they put so much efficiency in their lowest cost part of the line?

Fram seems most interested in a filter that well, filters.

Most of the Fram bashing you'll find is regurgitated by people who couldn't explain to you what an ADBV or bypass valve does on an oil filter. They just know "Fram, cardboard, bad!" 'cause somebody told them so. Wix did a wonderful marketing job promoting this mindset as well.

I do think typical Fram quality is higher today than 15 years ago, but I used them almost exclusively for decades without the slightest issue.

For the record I mostly use Wix made filters the last couple of years, I have gotten hung up on the value and performance of the 3 buck Napa Silvers in particular. My favorite Fram is the Tough Guard but I seldom run OCI's long enough to justify it's purchase anymore.

I'd rather use an orange Fram than a torn Purolator.

If you want a case study of fram reliability, you have to look no further than subaru. I dont really need to elaborate much more on how good fram's are.

Competitive marketing slander at its best. Is the Orange can the best filter in the world? By far not, however for its application it works well. You can't hardly go to any quick change place without seeing a shelf full of orange frams.

Iv used them for years without problem. Look at Purolator all the failures that have been reported here and still many people ignore it and use them while talking down on Fram.

I used fram orange cans until they put the black gripper stuff on the end. From that point, the black stuff was just a mess IMHO, my filter cap wouldn't fit on it, and I began to notice I was able to put a dent in the can when I was tightening it by hand.
So I went with Purolator afterwards and was pretty happy with them, until they became a hassle to buy cuz at the time, there was no internet, and buying online was mainly JC Whitney, and freight from illinois to california was outrageous.

Take one apart they are cheesey their anti drain back valves are not the close to the best. On some fords and other engines they make a lot of start up noise because they don't all retain oil and when a customer complains the first question is are you using a fram. Yes lots of people are using them but if you ran your engine without an oil filter your engine may run for 100,000 miles or more but there will still be more wear.
there are much better oil filters out there.. Again cut one open and see for yourself. Their quality is not so great although their threads are better than motorcraft it seems lately..lol

Take one apart they are cheesey their anti drain back valves are not the close to the best. On some fords and other engines they make a lot of start up noise because they don't all retain oil and when a customer complains the first question is are you using a fram. Yes lots of people are using them but if you ran your engine without an oil filter your engine may run for 100,000 miles or more but there will still be more wear.
there are much better oil filters out there.. Again cut one open and see for yourself. Their quality is not so great although their threads are better than motorcraft it seems lately..lol

What filters do you put on your re-built engines. The ADBV is a concern for me, because the filter on my truck faces down.

Used the PH8A and PH5 years ago yet seemingly suffered no malfunctions.

Segued into M1 filters after reading all the OCOD horror stories.

Now I'm back to Fram (Ultras) after all the props they've received on BITOG.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm

I'd rather use an orange Fram than a torn Purolator.

Both are low end inexpensive filters, don't expect much in the way of quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back