PL14670 and PSL22500 (Pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoiler alert: Purohators beware!
cool.gif
Here are two Purolators that recently came off the vehicles below in my description. The Pureone was in use for 5,500 miles and the Synthetic was right at 6k. Both are in good shape, no tears and zero failures. The Pureone is a little wavy. This has never happened to me before, but this is also the first time I have taken a Pureone past 3k miles. The synthetic was perfect and built like a tank. It was very difficult to dissect. Enjoy the pictures below! I'm not sure when they were manufactured, if someone could decipher the date codes it would be much appreciated!

Pretty good i hope purolater filters start coming back looking good like this again. Maybe they are improving, i hope they are. If they stop tearing and getting sooooo wavy after use lots of people may go back to buying them because the price of the classics are ok not great but ok.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Pretty good i hope purolater filters start coming back looking good like this again. Maybe they are improving, i hope they are. If they stop tearing and getting sooooo wavy after use lots of people may go back to buying them because the price of the classics are ok not great but ok.

Many of the recent photo postings of Purolators is still relatively old stock. When I see repetitive postings of newer stock (ie, filters built around Sep 2014 and beyond), then I'll made a determination on if their quality has improved or not.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude

Does the wavy media affect the filtration? Or is it just cosmetic?

If I decoded properly both were made in 2012 (Z06 or Sayjac would know for sure):

F12D28G2 (P1)

F= Fayetteville, North Carolina Plant
12= Month
D= Year 2012
28= Day of the Month
G= Line Number
2= Shift

F03D16B1 (PSL)

03= Month
D= Year 2012
16= Day of the Month
B= Line Number
1= Shift

Looks good, but I don't have any Purolator in my stash, I have Fram Ultra, Wix, Honda PCX-004 and German cartridge filters in my stash for about 3-4 years.

Ugly? Perhaps, but the question is, does it affect function? I wonder if *straight* pleats filter better than *wavy* pleats?

2010 fx4 thanks for the decode! We need to all pitch in and get decoder rings made...

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Ugly? Perhaps, but the question is, does it affect function?.....

No. No award for aesthletics perhaps, but no effect on function. Below is a link to the generally highly thought of Mahle spin on. Note the pleating.

Both the PSL and P1 look like they held up fine and did their job. The former just looks better than the latter.

Thanks for cutting and posting. Enjoyed spoiler alert line.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2935612

Neither of those filter models have ever been problems for Puro as far as I know. Both those are fine, as they should be.

People who object to holes in their filters are "haters"? Really? Maybe they just don't want holes in their filters.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Many of the recent photo postings of Purolators is still relatively old stock. When I see repetitive postings of newer stock (ie, filters built around Sep 2014 and beyond), then I'll made a determination on if their quality has improved or not.

Exactly.

Nothing to see here folks.

If you look at the second-to-last pic quickly, it looks like one of those intentionally squiggled internet pics like they do on peoples faces

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Neither of those filter models have ever been problems for Puro as far as I know. Both those are fine, as they should be.

People who object to holes in their filters are "haters"? Really? Maybe they just don't want holes in their filters.

It was a little sarcastic humor.
whistle.gif
But having said that, people who blow things out of proportion are "haters." It gets old when everytime a purolator thread pops up on BITOG there are throngs of people (typically FRAMboys
grin.gif
) who are instantly looking to condemn Purolator products (and those who use them) as inferior. Discuss Purolator and Royal Purple in the same thread and watch out, the server is going to crash
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
If I decoded properly both were made in 2012 (Z06 or Sayjac would know for sure):

F12D28G2 (P1)

12= Month
D= Year 2012
28= Day of the Month
G= Line Number
2= Shift

F03D16B1 (PSL)

03= Month
D= Year 2012
16= Day of the Month
B= Line Number
1= Shift

+1 ... both decoded correctly.
thumbsup2.gif

In the days of the Purolator string around the media, I don't remember any wavy media or torn media being shown. Purolator was King more or less. I think they changed things around, maybe a new chief, maybe a mad employee threw a wrench in the works, I don't know. Maybe I don't remember enough of the old pictures, but I was using Bosch Premiums and felt good about them. Now I have two sitting collecting dust that I don't feelike using because I don't trust them.
So far the nicest, cleanest, well threaded, etc filters I have are the Denso, but I know I said I buy USA, but awhile back I bought them anyway. But they are not made in China.

Like I said earlier, this is the first time I have seen the wavy media and the first time I have ran a Pureone past 3k miles. I think the extended service length was the reason for the wave. Im not worried about it though. It wasn't that bad and it did its job well. I have used Purolator for years and dont plan on changing any time soon. If you dont want those Bosch Premiums I know where you can send them. I would be more than happy to take them off your hands!
thumbsup2.gif

It costs more than they are worth to mail filters. I bought the Densos for about $3 each, and some Fram Ultras for about $4.69. So why would I go with something that is sketchy for that money. I think Puro make their media too flexible or something now. Some new genius at their engineering probably decided he knew better than the way it was done before.
What I don't get is how the media tears when the oil has to pass through the small holes in the center tube, so the pleats are supported almost everywhere behind them.
I do not particulary like the cleanliness of my Fram Ultras, they seem to have dirt on them and some shavings were found. The hole stamping on the inlet holes has burrs. Sure thats the dirty side but what about bypass. The Densos seem perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back