Chips on chrome wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need new wheel? Or can they "touch this up?"

Check out the 12 o'clock, 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions.

I found 3 matching CHROME wheels.. I know I need at least 2. Thinking about that 3rd. Have not seen them, but. I need a "refresher" in wheel polishing, anyways..

731eb1b764e6a6d278d62ad2d2348df6.jpg

You don't need to waste money on this. You're driving a hoopty that is a public menace. If it rolls and holds air, most I'd do is spray paint/plasti dip or just wax.

Remember, you should be saving for an upgrade to the cars, not upgrading the cars.

Unless you want to spend bucks and the car is worth it , i would not rechrome. Spray plastidip in black.

Clean these things with scotch bright pads and degreaser.

Take a deck of cards and insert them around the wheel lip to mask off the tire. Spray black plastidip per directions. This is a better option since you can touch up or recoat without too much work.

The rest of the wheel looks pretty corroded. I wouldn't even worry about the small chips....

....except I have auto-body dysmorphia. I can't help but focus on every tiny rock chip, swirl, or scratch.

The paint on my 28 year old Helix is actually pretty good for being a 28 year old left outside motorcycle. All I can focus on is the scratch on the side cover that the previous owner appears to have tried to cover with fingernail polish.

Chromed alloy wheels in a salt environment are no good. They corode to the point that the bead wont hold air anymore. Leave them alone until you can get some OE painted wheels. then wash and wax them.

Dude, these are steel wheels with chromed plastic "covers" the optional alloys are the wheels I have, which look completely different.

Just leave them alone.

This guy literally drove the wheel and rotor off his truck and now he's worried about the paint coming off. Un-friggin-believable.

Those wheels are ugly. No amount of polish or buffing will change that. Those spots can't be touched up without doing the whole wheel.

But if those wheels are relatively straight, and hold air, then I would leave them alone. Do not put money into this truck.

When I see a POS car or SUV with fixed up wheels, particularly oversized wheels, I see a moron. An idiot who spends his money on pointless cosmetics. I see those hoopties broken down all the time...$3,000 worth of chrome and rubber, but a failed battery, or a blown radiator hose. Signs of a fool, who can't prioritize, can't budget, and can't plan. A fool who will always be easily parted from his money.

How many people of means, people who have savings, people who have a financial plan, do you see putting thousands of dollars of wheels on their beater car? Ever wonder why there is a strongly negative correlation between ostentatious wastes of money and personal net worth?

If the person that owns this thing needs wheels, not wants wheels, but actually needs wheels, then I would use these guys: http://www.wheelcollision.com/index.html

They're not far from you, they can refinish, fix and straighten anything, and they've done a great job in replacement factory wheels. I've used them for several wheels. Sure beats buying new. Sure beats just a refinish.

But let's make certain that you're able to distinguish between need and want. You want that Volvo XC70 you mentioned? Then every wasted dollar on this POS is a step farther away from the car that you really want. Think about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You don't need to waste money on this. You're driving a hoopty that is a public menace. If it rolls and holds air, most I'd do is spray paint/plasti dip or just wax.

Remember, you should be saving for an upgrade to the cars, not upgrading the cars.
lol
grin.gif

You can only polish a turd so much, no matter how much glitter you sprinkle on it it's still a turd.

Hmmm.

Well... seems like I will get either the 2 or 3 "exact match" wheels. That way, it will have matching wheels/tires. A step in the right direction.

And please stop hating on this Expo! This truck made me respect Fords.

Saving up for a Volvo, sometime late this year, or next. Likely moving from Newark. AmazoN.com may be full time, hired from temp. Things are looking up.

So far, good answers to the question asked.

She will never notice. I did.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Those wheels are ugly. No amount of polish or buffing will change that. Those spots can't be touched up without doing the whole wheel.

But if those wheels are relatively straight, and hold air, then I would leave them alone. Do not put money into this truck.

When I see a POS car or SUV with fixed up wheels, particularly oversized wheels, I see a moron. An idiot who spends his money on pointless cosmetics. I see those hoopties broken down all the time...$3,000 worth of chrome and rubber, but a failed battery, or a blown radiator hose. Signs of a fool, who can't prioritize, can't budget, and can't plan. A fool who will always be easily parted from his money.

How many people of means, people who have savings, people who have a financial plan, do you see putting thousands of dollars of wheels on their beater car? Ever wonder why there is a strongly negative correlation between ostentatious wastes of money and personal net worth?

If the person that owns this thing needs wheels, not wants wheels, but actually needs wheels, then I would use these guys: http://www.wheelcollision.com/index.html

They're not far from you, they can refinish, fix and straighten anything, and they've done a great job in replacement factory wheels. I've used them for several wheels. Sure beats buying new. Sure beats just a refinish.

But let's make certain that you're able to distinguish between need and want. You want that Volvo XC70 you mentioned? Then every wasted dollar on this POS is a step farther away from the car that you really want. Think about it.

Astro... the only money I will "put into this truck" are matching the wheels and tires, and its up - keep - fluids, oil, maybe replacing those broken window visors. It's a shared vehicle - kinda like the crunchy XC 70, may they both R.I.P. - so its not like I want to neglect it. It was there before me. I hear you loud and clear about the "one dollar next for the next Volvo," however. I aim to make more money. I do work very hard.

I think there is no more fast food for me. I had to take a stand, and divorce it.

And Nick In Phoenix (who should come over and have a lunch with me, I am sure we would get along) and Warstud have not contributed anything of value and can keep hatin'. I see you!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Dude, these are steel wheels with chromed plastic "covers" the optional alloys are the wheels I have, which look completely different.

Just leave them alone.

+1 The bead and hub areas are the giveaway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back