Cure for BMW N52 Engine Lifter Ticking Noise(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was getting the infamous ticking noise on an N52 engine regularly. After I added a Polymer Ester polar-molecule oil additive (Hyperlube Zinc Replacement ZRA), no ticking! Cure????

My theory is that the additive seals up the lifters better, given its polar-sticky nature. I had heard theories of oil aeration foaming causing the ticking noise, so maybe HyperLube ZRA polymer esters reduce foaming, don't know for sure.

Anybody with persistent lifter noise (BMW calls them HVA, Hydraulic Valve Adjusters)????
Try HyperLube ZRA (must be the ZRA one only).

Actually, Lubegard Bio-Tech uses another form of sticky esters, so maybe that one too. I only used a half-bottle (half dose) in a rather large BMW sump, so I don't think you have to use a lot. I used a half dose because a tribologist (MolaKule) thought 1 oz per quart of engine oil is an adequate treat rate.

Background on this ticking problem:
Note, BMW engines are expensive engines and we expect them to sound great.

1240530d1375727259-difference-b-w-hydraulic-tappets-normal-tappets-valvelifter_diagram.jpg

Hydraulic Valve Adjuster problems

The ticking noise of Hydraulic Valve Adjuster is a known problem with the N52 (3.0L) engine fitted with manufacturing date prior to November 2008. An occasional ticking or rattling noise from the HVA elements may occur during cold engine starts or frequent short-distance driving, recently known after the engines reach 50.000 miles. In these situations, the HVA elements may not yet have been supplied with sufficient amounts of air-free oil. This condition will not cause any damage to the engine, and usually remedies itself with a longer driving distance or operating times at full operating temperature. BMW dealers' first response is to perform HVA bleeding procedure, however this procedures seems not to resolve the matters. The second attempt to solve this problem is a replacement with improved HVA parts, however this procedures also does not fully address the problem. Finally, a newly designed cylinder head replacement solves the ticking noise problem for vehicles under warranty. Vehicles produced after November, 2008 have already been fitted with improved cylinder head that resolves this HVA problems.[7]

I would try Redline oil in this engine and see what happens. Did you try M1 0w40?

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=144&pcid=21

Last edited:
The ticking noise also occurs for engines that are newer than November 2008. I know, seems odd. Hyperlube ZRA cured mine. Just using Redline might as well, not sure.

I was kinda hoping to see if others with ticking noises coming from the lifters in any engine brand, not just BMW, would see it fixed like mine was just using Hyperlube ZRA or another brand of Ester additive.

Also, if you try Redline, use the LL-01 MB 229.5 0w-30 variety, not their 5w-40 one.

Last edited:
I have had redline quiet down a lot of noisy motorcycle engines very well. Never tried it on a BMW but I'd give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I have had redline quiet down a lot of noisy motorcycle engines very well. Never tried it on a BMW but I'd give it a shot.

I'm pretty happy with my current cure, Hyperlube ZRA for now, but I'll consider doing the next oil change with Redline 0w-30 for sure.

I had this issue with my sons 2007 BMW 328xi, it was in and out of the garage while we did struts and brakes over a week. It developed the ticking after the 3rd day of being repositioned in the garage to do the passenger side struts. I changed the oil and added a can of Mos2 and once he drove it on the highway= (2) 20 mile trips, the engine was silent again. I've changed the oil again since and it runs real well on GC, ($1/qt. Autozone) no additional Mos2 needed.

typ901, Sounds like the LiquiMoly MOS2 might have sealed those lifters a little better. Also, the German-Belgian Castrol 0w-30 or 0w-40 LL-01 oil does probably contain a lot of polar sticky molecules. That sounds like a good solution.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Also, the German-Belgian Castrol 0w-30 or 0w-40 LL-01 oil does probably contain a lot of polar sticky molecules.

Not sure about this. People have speculated that it might have esters, but from this: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1773296/Re:_FAQ_-_GC_(_German_Castrol_#Post1773296

Quote:
The Ketjenlube oligomers are colorless, and I have not found any other esters in either the green or gold formulations in the past. The green color was likely from an additive (some moly additives are green) or a dye. Some Ketjenlube oligomers, which are esters, have very impressive properties and are synergetic with some POEs.

Also Hatco is an ester base oil manufacturer and not an additive supplier, unless of course one considers esters used in small dosages to be additives, as some do.

Tom NJ

The Castrol/BMW TWS 10W-60 probably has esters though. So does Motul 300V.

IMO, the oil should be sticky for startup purposes. After that, it's running on at least 45psi, will cling anyway. MoS2 add doesn't do pressure, but yes, could help to seal better.

Castrol's new (to the U.S.) Magnatec oil is supposed to have extra polar molecules in there, similar or the same as Polymer Esters (HyperLube ZRA). Magnatec is the new replacement for Castrol Synblend part-synthetic in the U.S.
I know Redline is a PE (polyol ester), not quite the same as polymer esters, but that should do the trick (possible!).

I guess there is nothing like trying something. I mean, I had the engine tick all the dang time, then added a half-dose of Polymer Ester and it was gone. Anybody else try this? If this works, the BMW dealership ought to cure it with this. They get a lot of complaints from finicky BMW owners about this.

I had the tick when I first got my Z4. I ran some motor flush through it, changed the oil, and it never came back. I only drive it a few times a year, still no tick in over three years.

Originally Posted By: montero1
I had the tick when I first got my Z4. I ran some motor flush through it, changed the oil, and it never came back. I only drive it a few times a year, still no tick in over three years.

OK, the thought had occurred to me that it might be related to some slight varnish or sludge in a lifter. That confirms it. .... Its something to try. Easy to do. Cleans the gunk out anyway. I think I'll call my BMW service advisor at the dealership and ask if they recommend trying a quick-easy fix like engine flush first.

I have used M1 0w40 with no improvement. The only thing that helps is minimizing short trips

Last edited:
Luckily our N52 doesn't tick. When it was under warranty our dealer used to ask us if it ever ticked in the morning. It never has. For the longest time though the display would sometimes be in KM instead of miles when we started the car, that went away at some point.

We did have to replace the valve cover gasket, filter housing gasket and the throttle motor seal, an ignition coil, a couple broken aluminum bolts and the alternator all between 70k and 73k. Luckily it has been good since.

Last edited:
Using Castrol Edge 0W-40 has done wonders for the ticking in my daughter's 2006 325i. I tried a bunch of different oils in this car and the Castrol has been by far the best for this engine.

Originally Posted By: nedc
Using Castrol Edge 0W-40 has done wonders for the ticking in my daughter's 2006 325i. I tried a bunch of different oils in this car and the Castrol has been by far the best for this engine.

Thats interesting. I could state theories on why it works. Too speculative though, I'll refrain. If it works, it works, kills the ticking I guess.

I always wondered why GM chose to add anti-aeration anti-foaming tests on the SN/GF-5, creating dexos1. They have said that variable valve timing mechanisms need more air bubble free oil. Maybe they were thinking of lifter tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back