Headlight protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you guys use to keep you headlights clear that last? Mine haven't fog, yellowed or scratched yet but I was wondering if there was something I could do to make them last longer other than using car wax or polish. I have Meguiars Headlight Protectant but I don't know how long it last or if its actually any better than what I mentioned above.

There is no magic thingy to keep the plastic headlights from yellowing over the years, maintenance with car wax and/or headlight protection every few months will slow the yellowing some years.

Harley sells a product called Harley gloss, it's a light detail polish that has a UV protect-ant in it. I've been using it all over the bike for a quick shine up, also I use it on the windshield that's some form of plastic. It really prevents plastic from getting foggy or yellow. It won't reverse any damage the plastic already has, but it keeps my windshield looking like new on my 10 year old bike.,,,

Plexus plastic protector

canblk.jpg

I totally DESPISE plastic headlights. One of the absolute worst things that ever was done to modern cars. Nothing worse than seeing a $100,000+ car with faded peeling cheap plastic headlights,pathetic!

My 3000GT's had plastic headlights and I'd just keep them "Armor-All'd" regularly. They never faded,peeled,or turned yellow,but every other car like mine I'd see would have headlights that were totally faded out.

If I had it to do all over again,I'd just use something like Eagle One Nana Wax on them.

Make sure they're really clean and apply Lamin-x films over them. It's only like $15 for the pair. I've had them on the last 2 cars I've owned and had 0 issues with them.

I just use whatever wax I have on hand for my cars paint. Right now that would be Turtle Wax Liquid. I wash once every 1-2 weeks so I apply the wax to the headlights after every wash.

I like 303 as well but as it washes off easy its only good in the interior and worthless on headlights.

Originally Posted By: 007
I like 303 as well but as it washes off easy its only good in the interior and worthless on headlights.

Whoops, yeah it does wipe off easily. Usually what I do to new headlights when I'm finished with a retrofit is wet sand, buff, then seal with Helmsman minwax gloss spar urethane mixed with 1 part mineral spirits.

Here is the guide I followed:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show...alant-idea.html

It works well and is very durable. My civic has had its new lights for about 2 years now and is parked outside in the sun 24/7. Still clear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back