Rate my oil change please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post.

2004 Honda Civic EX . 1.7,5-speed. 155k miles.

I currently run castrol 5w20 dino and purolator pl14610. My O.C.I's have been around 5k.

Any opinions on improvement would be great. I plan on running an oil analysis sometime in the future.

As I've stated on here before, I'm an ex Honda dealer mechanic before more schooling and becoming a UPS diesel mechanic.

With your maintenance, probably the only thing that will prevent the engine on your Honda from reaching well over 300K is if you blow the head gasket or break the timing belt. Keep up the good work. Synthetic isn't needed at your 5K interval.

11 years - 155k miles is about 14k miles a year, with this mileage you can do 6 month OCI at around 7k miles with conventional oil, if most of your drivings are highway miles. If you like to do 1 year OCI then go with Mobil 1 EP and good oil filter.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. But the fun of BITOG is trying to maximize selections which really probably only make a knat hair's worth of difference you will never see anyway.

With that in mind I'd suggest you try Maxlife and a 6-7k interval.
grin2.gif

Or just keep doing what you're doing.
thumbsup2.gif

Looks good to me amigo. Like everyone said 5k on dino with that motor should be fine. Are you intending to stretch out the oil change intervals or anything?

Honda's of that vintage recommended changing the oil filter every other oil change. I would ditch the tearolator and run a Fram Toughgaurd or Extragaurd for two oil changes.

Originally Posted By: RapidRide2
This is my first post.

I currently run castrol 5w20 dino and purolator pl14610. My O.C.I's have been around 5k.

Any opinions on improvement would be great. I plan on running an oil analysis sometime in the future.

I had a Honda B18 4 cylinder last 330 000 miles in my Integra. Head gasket started to leak, but rust was a bigger problem after 20 years... Great engines... they like one thing, clean oil...

Change your oil frequently, use a brand name oil and filter, and your engine will outlast EVERYTHING else.

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
Sounds perfectly fine to me, although I'd switch to a fram toughguard or extendedguard. But thats just me.

and me!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
11 years - 155k miles is about 14k miles a year, with this mileage you can do 6 month OCI at around 7k miles with conventional oil, if most of your drivings are highway miles. If you like to do 1 year OCI then go with Mobil 1 EP and good oil filter.

Ditto. Save yourself the time and trouble. Go with Castrol Edge Extended Performance or Mobil1 Extended Performance, both cheap enough at Walmart in 5-quart jugs. Then use a Fram oil filter, preferably ToughG or Ultra, go one full year.

sounds good so far we are doing a lot of head gaskets on those civics lately. Castrol is an ok motor oil in my opinion but maybe do a little research on your choice of oil filters.

Had plans on investigating filters. Somewhere along the line (as in years ago) I read that frams were nothing more than a pretty orange filter that did not protect as well as other filters. With this I stayed away from fram. However I see some rave about it on here. My ignorance may have been bliss with the purolator pure one. I have heard the pure 1 may be a little more restrictive than other filters but is fairly efficient at filtering minus the tearing issues.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
sounds good so far we are doing a lot of head gaskets on those civics lately. Castrol is an ok motor oil in my opinion but maybe do a little research on your choice of oil filters.

From what I gather, it's mostly with the 2005s that have the head gasket issues. The 2004 he has should be better.

To the OP - I'd use something other than the Purolator until they can correct the pleat tearing issue they've been having as of late. I had a bunch of PL14610s waiting to be used on my girlfriend's '01 Civic, but I probably won't use them because of that. I ended up buying a case of Denso First Time Fit oil filters for it on Rockauto (no affiliation) for a good price instead.

Originally Posted By: RapidRide2
This is my first post.

As stated above,
welcome2.gif
to BITOG. 5k = no problem unless it is all city driving but even then probably ok. Agree to steer away from the Purolator and go with another brand.

RapidRide2,Welcome to Bitog. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong but, Fram seams to have stepped up their quality in their top tier filter line. The old orange filters were terrible though and not to be trusted
eek.gif
. I can't prove it, but more engine failures have occurred with the lower level Fram filters than other filters.

The cheap "champion labs filters" with the center tube comprised of plastic bars and the paper end caps just fall off the filter element when you disassemble the filters for inspection, are horrible also. The super tech filters have been built like this for years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back