USPS tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
usps tracking is worse than the obamacare website

01.gif

I've had good luck with USPS. Usually 3 days max to get to me from anywhere in the country, and they'll deliver on Saturdays which UPS/FedEx won't. Not to mention it's usually the cheapest shipping option.

UPS, on the other hand, I sometimes get the feeling they intentionally delay their "ground" deliveries if they would otherwise get to me too quickly. Ordered something from within the same state, and it took 5 days to get to me. Zero tracking updates for a couple of those days, as if it just sat somewhere.

Another time, I ordered a computer to be shipped to me from Oregon. You know, the state right above mine. Instead, they went from Oregon, to Idaho, to Utah, to Nevada, and finally to California. You know, the way any smart person would...

Originally Posted By: morepwr
I have had the "not found" thing on tracking a few times and then the package arrives at my door. I don't think their tracking system is a very good one.

I've had this happen many times also. I agree their system isn't the best.

It's not unusual for individuals or companies to prepare a shipping label, then hold the package to batch it with others to be picked up/taken to the Post Office. If the shipper manually notified you with the tracking number, perhaps he typed it wrong. I'd wait until Monday, then contact him if it still doesn't show in the system.

If they scan it with there scan tool as it goes through there facilely if it don't scan right it will not show up on your tracking search.

Ok here's what happened to me regarding exactly what you have with "not found". I sold something on eBay went to the post office to mail it and wanted to make sure the weight was correct. Well the estimated weight from eBay was wrong,I didn't have a scale at the time, lesson learned, well anyway the lady behind the counter said I had to pay a difference of 18 cents. Ok no problem.
Well she puts the new tracking number OVER the old one. I didn't think that would be a issue. Who am I to question, it's her job she should know better!
Well the buyer couldn't track it and neither could I. So I go back asking the post office asking what is going on. And the supervisor goes well when the people in the back scan the old one then the new one it can take a little longer to register.
I said wait she put the new one over the old one and that can not happen?!?!? Then the supervisor goes well that was done wrong and asks the lady if that's what she did. She says yes and she already did it a few more times earlier!!!!
The supervisor says you're suppose to put it near the old one NOT over it!!!
So there's my 2 cents on this. The employees at the post office are not fully competent. And this"could" be a possibility.
Which I imagine there are many many other ones that we don't know about!!!

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I always have bad luck with USPS and pay the extra $$$ whenever possible to get UPS or FedEx.

Amen to that. I had an Amazon Prime order that was supposed to be delivered last Thursday. It wasn't important to me that they met the 2-day delivery, but I made an effort to be home since the USPS site said it was "Out for Delivery". Of course it wasn't delivered (oddly another Amazon package was delivered by USPS that day). I got my order the next day, but as far as I'm concerned USPS should stick to letters and let the private sector do the rest.

Ah, the good 'ole days:

An inscription on the James Farley Post Office in New York City reads:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

Just to update everyone, the seller was actually quite proactive and knew of this before I did. Anyways he stopped into their post office and confirmed the package left Tuesday. The post office said it won't be tracked after it crosses the border. So all I can do is wait a few days, if nothing shows up the seller will re send it for me.

Either it has yet to be shipped ( seller created label but has not actually dropped it off yet, especially if the seller is an amateur ebayer) or USPS neglected scanning.

Edit after seeing the last post:
First class packages going abroad can not be tracked on USPS website but if you visit Canadian Post website you could track it.

Last edited:
Update: I ran the tracking number through Canada post and it indicates the package shipping label en route to Canada has been created but has not arrived yet.

I've had excellent results with the USPS and their tracking. Packages arrive within 3 days from just about anywhere in the U.S.

Regarding Fed-X, I believe they'll deliver any day of the week if you wish to pay for it. I shipped a package to Seattle WA the day before Christmas for delivery on Christmas day. Cost for small box $200.00, but it was delivered as promised.

USPS ain't no UPS.
When dealing with UPS, I can always find the location of my packages. With USPS, I just look in the mail box in about a week or so and hope its there!

[/quote]

The problem that I've seen, is that it moves in circles.

Exactly! I was able to track a package that they had for me. It went from Pa. to less than 50 miles from my home here in Tn, then they sent it over 400 miles south to Atlanta, then back to Va. then to my mail box. LOL UPS would die before they did that!

Speaking of the USPS sending packages in circles, I just ordered something online the other day. USPS tracking said it was on it's way (was in PA, originally shipped from NJ), and then the next day it turned around and went back to NJ... and they added an extra day to the delivery estimate.

I prefer UPS and Fedex, but when you order with free shipping, what can you expect!

Wonder how I get all my meds on time from the USPS?

Anything that takes more than 3 days is by far the exception.

Those that complain about the USPS, could you do better????LOL

Two days from central Illinois to Irvine CA or the other way. Get at least three priority mail packages a month this way.

If there is a lazy PO somewhere between you and the end that's the problem. You should complain to the Postmaster general about it.

As far as the private sector they are always the second choice for me if I ship.

UPS if you aren't home when they deliver will leave a note that they will be back at the same time the next day. Well if you work and gone everyday at that time that does a lot of good. You have to wait until they try three times then go up to their shipping center to pick it up.

No, you don't...I have gotten MANY packages (UPS and FedEx) that, if nobody was home, were simply left on the porch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back