license plate surveillance ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having watched the last few such threads, I can't wait for facial recognition video monitoring to become the norm.

Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about.
Doing nothing illegal (today), nothing to worry about.

Where's the line drawn by frogs who are happily boiling in a pot ?

Personal tracking bracelets...if you're doing nothing wrong then there's nothing to fear...cameras monitoring your front and back doors ? Cameras inside your house ? Minority report ?

I sold my old E30 sans plates, and saw it listed on ebay for parts...with plates. Checked my online database...my Govt road authority lets you type in any number plate, and you get the make model and year, part of the VIN, who it's insured with, and when it's registration expired...for $25, you can get the ownership history, crash history etc.

Problem was that the plates on it were for a 2000 white transit van.

The plate recognition vans that patrol the streets threw up no alert when a car (without registration or insurance) was parked on a public road, wearing the plates of another car.

It's (relatively) common for people to have 3-4 trailers (box, bike, builder's and car trailers) and a single set of plates that they swap depending on the task.

Excuse me, but... is this post about police car mounted Automated License Plate Reader units? (*that conceivably can scan any plate in front of or behind the police car in traffic. Nothing else.... think "at lights," and why you don't get in front of a police car at a light if you have something to hide. I never had issue with a police car in front of me, though. We could go into this can of worms, no issues in quite some time. Maybe in my younger days, when REAL COPS gave tickets.. not cameras to cars.. this society has degraded into blatant cash grabs..)

Or is it about the cameras at lights that I learned from my other thread probably DONT issue tickets, but now we see CAN read license plates (hence their aim,) contradicting the claim that the cameras "cannot read detail?"

Jersey City NJ has a movement-tracking system like this. But police don't act. Sounds a lot like Newark's useless cameras.. literally so now, since we don't have red light cameras for the time being, hopefully never will again unless we get those speed ticket issuing units..

Cameras can read the detail.

We have "point to point" cameras, that register a vehicle passing a point, then another, and issuing tickets/infringements notices for traversing a length of road (2-3 miles to 300-400 miles) too quickly.

If computers can't read plates, they can't have done this process for the past decade.

Originally Posted By: Tight TL
Originally Posted By: dblshock
When you view the demo's it is totally distracting the operator...

you get into many of these rural sheriff deputy's and the kooks shouldn't have guns for sure not to mention this ALPR or even radar...I had a punk radar me once hiding at the 55 speed sign just out of town, slob had his hand on the gun and shouted from the trunk of my late model car..I was working had a suit & tie on and no record at all.

Finally, we're getting somewhere. You had a bad experience with a cop and just decided to brand the whole profession. Did you make a complaint against the officer? Did you go to court to contest the ticket? Does the wearing of a suit and tie give you special privileges? You don't have to like cops...just man up and admit your prejudice and bias.

Cops and doctors alike, 50% graduate in the bottom half of their class.

Smoky

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
They didn't change any laws they can just more easily and economically enforce them now?

Well, that is one way to look at it..

People loose their freedoms a little bit at a time. Look at Canada. They surrendered their freedom of speech without any fight.

The nonsense that the US is 'fighting for freedom' and 'freedom isn't free' is just propaganda. Slogans.

Now everyone is a suspect. Check points, license plate scanners, warrant-less searches,phone call surveillance. And that's what we currently know about.

you'd have to be one sick sheep to think all cops are pristine heros, even if you try and argue for a third this technology is too powerful to be turned on the public.

I'm really suprised how common this has become with no regulation as to how it's being used to arrest the uninsured, driving after rev, old parking tickets...typical low income violators.

Are low income drivers more isolated from the law? Does their I come level give them more of a free pass then not paying a relevant share of taxes and other things?

I see no reason why one's economic status has to do with this at all. You break the law, you pay the fine. If not, and you're found out for it, it's a matter of the law, not economic circumstance.

There are other reasons to take issue with surveillance, this not being one of them.

And if anything, those with meager means should be MORE careful not to incur penalties and fees, for the sake of their own bottom line.

License plate readers are no more needed to catch uninsured cars than check points are to catch drunk drivers. Many states for years force you to surrender your tag if your insurance lapses. Here, in NC, if you don't surrender it very quickly they'll come and get it.
License plate readers are being used for other tasks. The 'keeping you safe' from uninsured drivers is just a slogan to quell protest.

Last edited:
you'd have to be one sick sheep to think all cops are pristine heros, even if you try and argue for a third this technology is too powerful to be turned on the public.

I realized that most cops are scum around junior high school.

That was when I called them for help and they instead helped the man torturing me.

nice to see the press getting involved showing this technology has been turned against the public who pays for it..

DEA Wanted to Surveil Cars at Gun Shows

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/397446/dea-wanted-surveil-cars-gun-shows-charles-c-w-cooke#!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back