is maxlife ATF really THAT good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As just transmission fluid it's ok in the 48L0E, didn't help the leaks any yet. A good dose of Lubeguard helped more than anything. May of been able to use regular fluid and been ok. The major con is the SMELL! More so in the RV!

The Focus transmission didn't seem to like it. Rougher shifts right away. Has settled down but won't put it in any of my Ford transmission's.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
how can you say that when no UOA are available on maxlife?

I got one!

Iron (Fe)245
Chromium (Cr) Lead (Pb)35
Copper (Cu)22
Tin (Sn)1
Aluminum (Al)5
Nickel (Ni) Silver (Ag) Titanium (Ti) Vanadium (V) Silicon (Si)11
Sodium (Na)8
Potassium (K)3
Magnesium (Mg)3
Calcium (Ca)221
Barium (Ba) Phosphorus (P)521
Zinc (Zn)19
Molybdenum (Mo) Boron (B)238
Antimony (Sb)<1

Originally Posted By: asand1
Running Maxlife in our '08 Uplander with the 4T65E specced for Dexron VI. Shifts feel more solid IMO, as they should. Fluid should not cause softer shifting and slipping clutches.

Is Maxlife gods gift to gearheads? no.

Is Mobil 1/Redline/Amsoil/OEM so much better to justify the price difference? no

I can't speak for every make and model, but the one vehicle I did put it in is doing great.

+1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I experienced no change after a drain-and-fill of Honda OEM ATF (DW-1) and nothing changed. The car shifted well as when we first bought it with 60k miles.

It may have been coincidence, but after a single drain-and-fill using MaxLife I started experiencing a 1-2 flair and minor other oddities; no major changes, but very noticeable.

After 2 more drain-and-fill with OEM fluid it's back to normal. Unfortunately, my data is ruined, because I took the car into the dealer shortly after the 1st drain-and-fill for them to apply a TCM update, which could very well be the cause of the better shifting.

Unfortunately, the degraded shifting coincided with the MaxLife, so I will no longer consider anything but Honda DW-1.

MaxLife is NOT rated for use in a DW-1 specced Honda transmisson unit. Only Z-1 rated specs. Look on their label, it is NOT listed as being compatible with DW-1 fluid.

Castrol TransMax IMV ATF is specced for BOTH DW-1 and Z-1 applications.

I have a Honda trans, and am not so hot on DW-1 fluid. Been reading about Redline ATF. Seems, upon reading, that AMSOIL is best Honda ATF...

Royal Purple seems "alright" in a Honda so it is between RP, AMSOIL, and Redline.

I've used MaxLife in two Honda applications specing Z1 and a Tacoma specing DexII/III, with at least equal the results of the oe spec. One those applications 01 Civic, is supposed to be a problematic one, now 217k mi, 45k using ML, original (knock wood) AT.

As for it's starting viscosity being lower, never been a concern. As it's a synthetic fluid and in line with ATF's trending to a lower starting viscosity. And Mola's post linked on DexVI confirms this trend, and at ~6.0cSt same as ML, both have greater shear stability. Improvements in DexVI over DexIII

So IME, it's been a solid ATF in the applications I've used it in. And it's generally available at a value price in gallon jugs. Not saying that makes it great, but certainly a very serviceable ATF for me.

I put 7qts into my Tundra (about half the system) and felt no change. So that's my one datapoint.

I did change the power steering fluid in both Toyota's (which call for Dex III) with Maxlife; or rather, I sucked out the resevoir and refilled, quarter qt in each, no idea as to how much that was. Did not like. Immediately stiffened up the steering. Which might be a good thing, given how light they were before; but it's a very apparent change.

I experienced no change after a drain-and-fill of Honda OEM ATF (DW-1) and nothing changed. The car shifted well as when we first bought it with 60k miles.

It may have been coincidence, but after a single drain-and-fill using MaxLife I started experiencing a 1-2 flair and minor other oddities; no major changes, but very noticeable.

After 2 more drain-and-fill with OEM fluid it's back to normal. Unfortunately, my data is ruined, because I took the car into the dealer shortly after the 1st drain-and-fill for them to apply a TCM update, which could very well be the cause of the better shifting.

Unfortunately, the degraded shifting coincided with the MaxLife, so I will no longer consider anything but Honda DW-1.

MaxLife is NOT rated for use in a DW-1 specced Honda transmisson unit. Only Z-1 rated specs. Look on their label, it is NOT listed as being compatible with DW-1 fluid.

Castrol TransMax IMV ATF is specced for BOTH DW-1 and Z-1 applications.

The 2008 factory fill is Z-1, which was back-spec'd for DW-1. Z-1 is no longer made, as DW-1 supersedes Z-1. Infer from that what you will, but many have posted great results with MaxLife in their Hondas, which is why I used it. This wasn't a quick search, but after reading here over a couple of years.

The previous owner had a receipt for an ATF change at 30k miles, but it didn't list which fluid, Z-1 or DW-1. I changed it soon after buying the car at 60k miles, with no noted change in shift quality.

I noticed the shift issues directly after a drain-and-fill using MaxLife, and an improvement directly after a drain-and-fill with DW-1. As I mentioned, I also had the dealer update the TCM, so there's more than one data point to consider.

We have been using ML in our 09 audi A4 quatro for 20,000miles-----car shifts better then OEM -
ML is about 90% trans capacity.

I have used ML in 6 different cars - Japanese to Euro - all were better than over priced OEM fluids.

If you can use it - go for it.

Transmissions can and may need to adapt. Best way after a change in fluid brands is with an adaptive reset/fast learn... clear the TCM/TCU. Even a simple battery disconnect can clear out some of the driver adaptedness.

Maxlife is a good ATF.... availability and price point are hard to argue. I don't find it better than any other universal multivehicle ATF. Peak, Castrol, Lubegard, Mag1, RoyalPurple,
RedLine, Amsoil, SmittysSuperS, Pennzoil, Cam2, Amalie, Wynn's, BG.... also have competing products.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
That stuff is world class garbage. This sewer water somehow became a darling of the forum due to the cheap clique crowd promoting that swill. Members of this forum with no experience with this bottled slop parrot a scripted, "This stuff is great!" and people read it and perpetuate the lie. I wouldn't pay a dollar for that puke Ashland tries to pass off as transmission fluid.

Caveat emptor.

A complete and utterly fact-free rant doesn't hold a lot of weight.

OTOH, I HAVE used it and had it improve shifting in every transmission it went into (mostly Toyotas - who unfortunately DO have mediocre factory fluid to start with).

There are simply far, far too many people who use it and factually and thoroughly note their cases and their results. It's very good stuff that, if fits the recommendations for your vehicle, can be a GREAT choice vs. mediocre factory fluids or non-synthetic alternatives.

+1

I got one!

Iron (Fe)245
Copper (Cu)22
Tin (Sn)1
Aluminum (Al)5
Sodium (Na)8
Potassium (K)3
Magnesium (Mg)3
Calcium (Ca)221
Zinc (Zn)19
Antimony (Sb)

where did you find those numbers? the P/Ca/B numbers are roughly consistent with what i remember from VOA.
it's weird that Fe is higher than AL. I'm used to see the opposite in AT.
how about viscosity, miles, and application?

Edit:
never mind I remember now, you are the guy who has tranny failure with maxlife!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2880013

Last edited:

I got one!

Iron (Fe)245
Copper (Cu)22
Tin (Sn)1
Aluminum (Al)5
Sodium (Na)8
Potassium (K)3
Magnesium (Mg)3
Calcium (Ca)221
Zinc (Zn)19
Antimony (Sb)

where did you find those numbers? the P/Ca/B numbers are roughly consistent with what i remember from VOA.
it's weird that Fe is higher than AL. I'm used to see the opposite in AT.
how about viscosity, miles, and application?

Edit:
never mind I remember now, you are the guy who has tranny failure with maxlife!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2880013

He is the reason I am scared of doing ATF drain and fills. Lol.

The 2008 factory fill is Z-1, which was back-spec'd for DW-1. Z-1 is no longer made, as DW-1 supersedes Z-1. Infer from that what you will, but many have posted great results with MaxLife in their Hondas, which is why I used it. This wasn't a quick search, but after reading here over a couple of years.

The previous owner had a receipt for an ATF change at 30k miles, but it didn't list which fluid, Z-1 or DW-1. I changed it soon after buying the car at 60k miles, with no noted change in shift quality.

I noticed the shift issues directly after a drain-and-fill using MaxLife, and an improvement directly after a drain-and-fill with DW-1. As I mentioned, I also had the dealer update the TCM, so there's more than one data point to consider.

It could be that MaxLife "might" be OK to use with Honda/Acura
auto units specifying DW-1...or NOT. Why chance it? If the MaxLife product doesn't specifically state it is suitable for use in
transmissions calling for the newer DW-1 spec you are risking issues, especially since Honda automatic transmissions are a very different design compared to any other auto unit on the market.
Be smart and use a fluid that clearly states that it is at least suitable for use in Honda transmissions calling for DW-1 fluid.
There are quite a few aftermarket products out there that do in fact say suitable for use with DW-1.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF DOES NOT state suitable or approved for use in
Honda/Acura auto trans units calling for DW-1. I wouldn't risk using it as a replacement unit will cost you many thousands.

I now have almost 30k on the 60k total Civic running ML ATF. Shifts every bit as good as the DW-1. Getting ready for another drain a fill here this spring.

Also running it in the Chevy and Corolla. I am very happy with the results so far. The 1984 K30 shifts like new still and I have 111k original miles on it.

Originally Posted By: sw99
I now have almost 30k on the 60k total Civic running ML ATF. Shifts every bit as good as the DW-1. Getting ready for another drain a fill here this spring.

Also running it in the Chevy and Corolla. I am very happy with the results so far. The 1984 K30 shifts like new still and I have 111k original miles on it.

Lucky you. If that fluid caused a failure in your Honda and you
went to Valvoline do you think they would assist you with the replacement cost of the transmission in your car?

whistle.gif
smirk.gif
crackmeup2.gif
33.gif

Originally Posted By: sw99

Noteworthy anecdotes which mirror my experiences now using it in two Hondas as noted in my previous post. Also similar results in a Tacoma. Solid results all the way around, and nice to be able to use in multiple applications with success and with it's value price.

As for using in DW1 spec., below is link which includes DW1 on the applications list.

MaxLife ATF Application Letter

It could be that MaxLife "might" be OK to use with Honda/Acura
auto units specifying DW-1...or NOT. Why chance it? If the MaxLife product doesn't specifically state it is suitable for use in
transmissions calling for the newer DW-1 spec you are risking issues, especially since Honda automatic transmissions are a very different design compared to any other auto unit on the market.
Be smart and use a fluid that clearly states that it is at least suitable for use in Honda transmissions calling for DW-1 fluid.
There are quite a few aftermarket products out there that do in fact say suitable for use with DW-1.

Valvoline MaxLife ATF DOES NOT state suitable or approved for use in
Honda/Acura auto trans units calling for DW-1. I wouldn't risk using it as a replacement unit will cost you many thousands.

You quoted me, but your response indicates that you didn't read my post...

I get really tired of naysayers brushing off good reports and calling them anecdotes. Learn the english language and acce0pt a testimonial for what it it.

an·ec·dote
noun
: a short story about an interesting or funny event or occurrence

testimonial
noun
: a written or spoken statement in which you say that you used a product or service and liked it
: a written or spoken statement that praises someone's work, skill, character, etc.
: an event at which someone is honored

Last edited:
OT Interesting. Fwiw, when I use the term anecdote, I mean it as the part(s) that make up 'anecdotal evidence.' No intent implied beyond that. Perhaps data point is a better term.
21.gif

In this case, certainly no ML naysayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back