New to me 2007 Tahoe-Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for any comments or advice on things to look out for. I needed a winter vehicle and found a 2007 LT in very good condition with only 55,000 miles. It was a New Mexico titled vehicle primarily kept on their ranch so it may have had extensive off road use which may explain the low miles. The owner was a wealthy family here in Indy with a good reputation for taking care of their stuff. Plus, I've been driving it for four months now and think I've got most of the apparent issues resolved. So, I'm looking for any maintenance suggestions to keep things good for many more years and miles.

Post-purchase, I've put on new tires and shocks and resolved a stubborn CEL with new throttle body and evap system control valve (diagnosed and replaced by Chevy dealer). Also had the fuel system cleaned. Prior owner had service docs for transfer case service and new battery in Aug 2013. This is the first body-on-frame vehicle I've owned but AFAIC, it drives great. All 4WD settings work and it's been great in the one snowfall we've had this year. Mileage isn't great, 12-13 around town, but I didn't expect it to be. I haven't had it on an extended road trip yet but I'm thinking of taking it on a 2500 mile trip to Florida in March.

So, any comments or suggestions on further preventative maintainence or even mods from you GM truck veterans would be appreciated.

Make sure to grease and watch ball joints weak front end parts water will go at 130 k and make sure to keep up on atf because they are the only thing that will stop that truck from last your life time

Last edited:
don't forget transfer case fluid (autotrak II) i believe it is unique.

you are going to want to guage if their is any oil usage. some 5.3L's with the afm can use oil, but alot disable the afm.

I've got 2 first gen LS engines currently running daily in my personal fleet. Ones awd the other is lever shift 4wd.
I have never heard of a lever shift transfer case needing fixing nor replacement. Both my units are approaching very high miles. The 5.3 has 285k now and the 6.0 just crested 225k.
With these vehicles I find that if you stay on top of changing fluids they with rust into Swiss cheese before drivetrain failure.
As far as engine goes follow the oil life monitor. It's just that simple. Everything else I change every 50k kms(30k miles).
That might be a bit often as far as diff and tranny fluids go however they are worked daily and mostly winter driven,pulling people out of ditches and so on,as well as summer trailer towing,so they are worked hard in my opinion.
I've not yet had any issues other than simple maintenance.
Brakes on my c3 lasted 120000 miles. I just changed them this summer b
Great trucks.

Thanks, guys. So far, burning no oil and its parked on a concrete driveway so I'd know if it was dripping anything. Good point about auto4wd, I picked up on that reading the owners manual and always drive in 2H unless there is a current snow situation. Not a big fan of AFM in theory but it seems to work well on this truck and lord knows it could use some help with mileage. We've got Tahoes in our car pool at work and they go 200,000 before getting turned in so I hope to do that in this vehicle even though it's already 8 yo. I will stay on top of the drivetrain fluids. I've had it on the lift in two shops and both gave it a thumbs up so I think I got a good one--once I got rid of that CEL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back