2015 Toyota Avensis diesel / 0w-30 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAT

Hi. I have been driving Toyota diesels for many years and I have used GC 0w-30 Acea C2/C3
oil. Now Castrol has changed their formula and that oil no longer qualifies as Acea C2 oil.
So for warranty reasons I can´t use it anymore.
So.. what I have been wondering: Toyota diesel calls for C2 oil (HTHS 2,9->)
Volkswagen specs for diesel call for C3 (HTHS 3,5->).
How much does low HTHS value affect on wear, and is there significant benefits
for going lighter 0w-30 oil? Ie. Motul eco-clean 0w-30 (Acea C2, HTHS 2.9 viscosity at 40C 49.3)

Last edited:
If you used previously double rated C2/C3 oil you actually already tried oil with HTHS of a minimum 3.5 c.P., just with fuel economy requirements of a C2 oil. C3 oil would provide better wear control over a C2 oil (in theory).

Last edited:
Exactly that. C3 is actually a slightly tougher spec to meet, with higher demands in diesel piston cleanliness and sludge ratings. That said, if your manual calls for C2 only, then it must be C2 (one might assume that this is demanded by the OEM to give a better experience of fuel economy...?).

Castrol recommend Magnatec 5W-30 C2 I believe.

Yes I´m aware current oil has HTHS of 3.5. In my previous car I drove for 78k with that oil (with 15k change intervals). Oil
seemed to last that mileage easily. Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C2
would be correct choice for warranty, but it is dino oil
frown.gif

Last edited:
Mazda over here specifies C2 or a C3 oil in newer diesels. I would use C3 oil for sure if I had to choose between these two , but if Toyota in your country require only C2 oil than use it for warranty purpose.

Originally Posted By: JAT
Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 C2 would be correct choice for warranty, but it is dino oil
frown.gif

No it isn't.

Based on what information? At least Castrol Germany list 25-50 % ground oil.
And it says HC-syntese, whitch means hydrocracked group III.

Originally Posted By: JAT
And it says HC-syntese, whitch means hydrocracked group III.

Yes, which is not a "dino" (mineral) oil. Look up the German word "synthese".

The important thing is what performance it delivers, and it delivers ACEA C2, which is what you need (and what Toyota say is appropriate). The whole idea of a specification is that you don't need to second-guess the ingredients to somehow sub-rate the compliant products.

Last edited:
A friend of me has the 2.2 D4d 136HP with DPF in a Corolla Verso which also requires a ACEA C2 Oil. It is actually running very smooth with the Total INEO MC3 5W40 which is a ACEA C3 but also comes with MB 229.51 and VW 505.01(good EP additives)
The oil is available in Germany for less than 25€ per 5L!
You could also use the Aral Supertronic 0W40 which is nearly a 0W30 (12,8 @ 100°C). It has ACEA C2 and ACEA C3 and MB 229.51. It's also not so expensive.
If you need a 0W30 with C2 then I would go with the brand new Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2 C3 0W30. It has a VI of 204 and has VW 507.00 and MB 229.51 and 229.52!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: diematrix5000
The problem is, that they do not sell mobil 1 esp 0w30 in europe yet!

Really? With so many diesels in Europe?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: diematrix5000

If you need a 0W30 with C2 then I would go with the brand new Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2 C3 0W30. It has a VI of 204 and has VW 507.00 and MB 229.51 and 229.52!

This seems to be very intresting oil. Thank you for the tip ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back