Filter suggestion for a long-ish interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sicko
Originally Posted By: slowdime

I've avoided fram in the past, so the tg and ug varieties aren't considered ocod?

The Fram Ultra Guard is an excellent filter, and might be the best filter that's readily available at all locations.

Remember, the whole OCOD thing was more hyperbole. It's not that they were bad for your engine, it's that you were usually able to get better filters for the same price.

Ah. I'd never really heard anything particularly good about fram and there were plenty of other brands available that received much more praise.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
If you are still skeptical of the Pureones for that mileage, try the Puro Synthetic filters. They seem to be rock solid, and are designed for 10k mile intervals.

I've only ever seen those once but from what I've read they sound alright. When I did see them in a store I seem to recall them running north of $10, a little steep but I only drive ~10k miles a year or so.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
An oil change without changing the filter is very clean and quick too.

Except for the dirty oil you leave in the system. Like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on.
laugh.gif

Now you're gonna wake up BOF.
grin.gif

There are plenty of examples of UOA'S where the filter was reused, showing only improvement.

slowdime - you're planning 7500 miles? That is nothing to a filter.

I have run a Puro Classic to 10k miles; autopsy of the unit showed no issues whatsoever (despite the current tear-o-later panic). I have run a MC FL400S out to 15k miles; again no issue upon teardown. I have run Wix (NG) out to nearly 10k miles; no issues. Pics of many of these are posted elsewhere here.

7.5k miles is a pittance to most any normal filter. You can buy a FU or such, but at that distance you're tossing money down the drain.

You don't need a syn for such a duration either. Those 10k and 15k mile extended O/FCIs were run on dino ST. Exellent UOAs.

Do what you want; that's what you're going to do anyway. But your engine doesn't "need" premium filters or lubes for 7.5k miles.

Last edited:
no matter what filter you choose I would get the longer PF52, I ran PF52C on my 94 Cavalier the entire time I had it, at the time the PF52 was cheaper than the PF47.

Last edited:
I use the oversized version of the PF52 on my engine also as it calls for a PF47, but I also use Fram Ultras part number XG3980 is oversized aka PF52 and XG3387A is oem size aka PF47.

The XG3387A is already rated for 15,000 miles between changes and I might go even further since the oversized filter has more media.

As Dnewton has already pointed out most of us never reach the end of the filters life with clean engines, who knows how far an oversized Fram Ultra could really go? 25k maybe?

Either way if I change my oil every 5k miles I leave the filter on for 15k.

It would be an even better idea for someone who had a hard to reach filter to use the filter more than once since. I don't even drain the old oil out I just leave the filter be and it only holds about a half a quart.

Also look at form a funnel if you need inventive ways to keep oil off the exhaust, that's exactly what they are made for.

form a funnel on Amazon

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

Alternatively, there is a "new" filter on the market; microgreen. They state that their filters will run 10K; change filters, add make-up oil; run another 10K, change filters again & add make-up oil, then run a final 10K and change your oil. http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

I looked at this and feel I might have missed something. Are they suggesting any oil can run 30k miles?

Originally Posted By: ihatetochangeoil
.....oil, then run a final 10K and change your oil. http://www.microgreenfilter.com/
Originally Posted By: davinci

I looked at this and feel I might have missed something. Are they suggesting any oil can run 30k miles?

Yes they are saying exactly that. Run a synthetic and/or do 10,000 mile UOAs on it, I say.

Last edited:
Guaranteed for 15,000 miles? And if something happens within that mileage what is promised? A new car? Engine? Cash? Or just an endless amount of red tape until a judge decides on that case?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
slowdime - you're planning 7500 miles? That is nothing to a filter.

I have run a Puro Classic to 10k miles; autopsy of the unit showed no issues whatsoever (despite the current tear-o-later panic). I have run a MC FL400S out to 15k miles; again no issue upon teardown. I have run Wix (NG) out to nearly 10k miles; no issues. Pics of many of these are posted elsewhere here.

7.5k miles is a pittance to most any normal filter. You can buy a FU or such, but at that distance you're tossing money down the drain.

You don't need a syn for such a duration either. Those 10k and 15k mile extended O/FCIs were run on dino ST. Exellent UOAs.

Do what you want; that's what you're going to do anyway. But your engine doesn't "need" premium filters or lubes for 7.5k miles.

I agree.

My LS400 FCI is 1 year about 16-18k miles. When it had dino I changed oil at 6 mo but keep the filter. With syn oil both changed at 1 year. The car is 21 years old and 370+k miles, average 18k miles a year, the engine is running great.

The oil filters were mostly mid to low-priced, from MC FL400S, Purolator ... to Fram Extra Guard. I din't cut open any to check.

The cartridge oil filter in my E430 looked great after 11-13k miles, without any visible debris. One time I reuse it for 2 OCI's of 21k miles total and the filter looked very good.

In a clean good condition engine the oil filter can be used for a lot longer than most believe it can be done.

Well consider you have you been using conventional there might be some dirt in your engine. You might want to run Purolator Pureone for half that mileage and change it to the same purolator pureone. That way you don't clog up the filter right away and run on the bypass. They have a good filtration capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back