Caliper replacement - brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had my Jeep aligned and upon test driving it the shop told me I had a brake pull, and that it was probably a caliper or brake hose.

I have noticed an increasingly significant brake pull to the driver side recently. It has probably been there for a while, but the shop mentioning it brought it to my attention. I plan on putting steel braided brake lines on both fronts, but what brand caliper should I replace the bad one with? It seems most of them are re-manufactured, any brand that is better than others? Should calipers be replaced in pairs?

Try to rebuild it yourself unless that's not your type of thing.

Re-manufactured ones will be just fine, and they are most likely OEM being re-manufactured which speaks for it's quality at least to me.

As far as brands go, it doesn't matter much. I go for warranty. The calipers should be changed in pairs because you will likely be replacing the other side soon and the vehicle may continue a pull.Usually if the hose is bad, it will act as a check valve and not permit the caliper from releasing.Don't forget to service the slides,hardware and linings.

Last edited:
I once bought Dorman new and had no issues with them.I have had various issues with rebuilt ones.

The rebuilds from AAP have no corrosion protection and will look horribly rusty after a few weeks.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I recently had my Jeep aligned and upon test driving it the shop told me I had a brake pull, and that it was probably a caliper or brake hose.

I have noticed an increasingly significant brake pull to the driver side recently. It has probably been there for a while, but the shop mentioning it brought it to my attention. I plan on putting steel braided brake lines on both fronts, but what brand caliper should I replace the bad one with? It seems most of them are re-manufactured, any brand that is better than others? Should calipers be replaced in pairs?

I would not bother with SS flex brake lines. Just quality ones will last until the Jeep has seen its time. Use some PB Blaster ahead of time, for my 2001 they had to replace the steel brake line back to the ABS using as it snapped (they used copper/nickel) while changing the flex line.

If your Jeep is like my 2001 then it has substandard Teves calipers. I would go to the dealer and get the upgrade kit to Akebono. There is a TSB on it for my 2001 at least. The Teves and Akebono calipers in 2001 take a different size pad. I believe you need the kit to change calipers to Akebono. The Akebono are far superior.

If the 2000 does not have the same issue, I would still see if you can get replacement Akebono calipers.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The rebuilds from AAP have no corrosion protection and will look horribly rusty after a few weeks.

When did you buy that? Because the website now lists them with anti-corrosion now.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I would not bother with SS flex brake lines. Just quality ones will last until the Jeep has seen its time. Use some PB Blaster ahead of time, for my 2001 they had to replace the steel brake line back to the ABS using as it snapped (they used copper/nickel) while changing the flex line.

If your Jeep is like my 2001 then it has substandard Teves calipers. I would go to the dealer and get the upgrade kit to Akebono. There is a TSB on it for my 2001 at least. The Teves and Akebono calipers in 2001 take a different size pad. I believe you need the kit to change calipers to Akebono. The Akebono are far superior.

If the 2000 does not have the same issue, I would still see if you can get replacement Akebono calipers.

Unfortunately, ZJ, TJ, XJ YJ brakes are smaller and perform worse than the early wj setup.

I replaced mine with Napa calipers. After core, it was $30 total

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt

When did you buy that? Because the website now lists them with anti-corrosion now.

They changed rebuilders i know that much. They ditched ATSCO altogether and AFAIK Cardone is no longer available in the stores.
The new ones do have an anti corrosion coating and are prety decent from what i can tell. The ones from NAPA are good as well.

Edit: Buy the AA ones online use a code, keep the email for the warranty and they will change it even years down the road no questions asked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav

They changed rebuilders i know that much. They ditched ATSCO altogether and AFAIK Cardone is no longer available in the stores.
The new ones do have an anti corrosion coating and are prety decent from what i can tell. The ones from NAPA are good as well.

Edit: Buy the AA ones online use a code, keep the email for the warranty and they will change it even years down the road no questions asked.

good to know, and about keeping warranties, that has always worked for me as I always have my email handy!

I bought some OEM refurbished ones at AAP for my WJ. $30ish with a code.

Lifetime warranty. Cant go wrong IMO.

I can snap a pic of them if you want to see how they old up in salt.

* I don't think replacing calipers in pairs is necessary.. Not like rotors and pads at least. Replace them as needed IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silvercivicsi
I would go with OEM unless you need upgraded braking capability for track/offroad/towing applications.

this is exactly why I'm doing it, 00 celica gt was screwed over by having smaller calipers.

bigger calipers that fit:
01-05 celica gt
00-05 celica gts

this is why I'm doing re-manufactured, if I had the correct size, I would love to rebuild them myself. Generally for parts to be re-manufactured there has to be a caliper provided, and odds are its the OEM caliper being rebuilt, only by the possibility that not many use aftermarket ones.

I would go with OEM unless you need upgraded braking capability for track/offroad/towing applications.

this is exactly why I'm doing it, 00 celica gt was screwed over by having smaller calipers.

bigger calipers that fit:
01-05 celica gt
00-05 celica gts

this is why I'm doing re-manufactured, if I had the correct size, I would love to rebuild them myself. Generally for parts to be re-manufactured there has to be a caliper provided, and odds are its the OEM caliper being rebuilt, only by the possibility that not many use aftermarket ones.

I love that you can put larger OEM calipers on certain cars. My civic has s2000 front calipers and a wilwood big brake kit on the back. No real reason for the rear brake upgrade but it does looks cool
grin.gif

I love that you can put larger OEM calipers on certain cars. My civic has s2000 front calipers and a wilwood big brake kit on the back. No real reason for the rear brake upgrade but it does looks cool
grin.gif

My personal reason is to have better stopping power, and also have the same brake pads for both my 00 and 01 celica gt, I only have to buy 1 top of the line brake pad set with lifetime warranty and claim them as needed for either car.

The way the brakes run on these cars, it will be 120k before they will need replacement...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back