more 284k mile 4.6l pics. Bearings & bore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tore down the 4.6l out of the 99 gt that was ran on castrol 5w30 every 5k since new. in the link are pictures of the bore which still has visible crosshatching, the top of the cylinders have no hump and wear is almost non-existant. There is also a picture of a lower rod bearing which looks brand new. I ordered a timing kit, oil pump, water pump, and head gasket kit today and took the heads to the machine shop to have them pressure checked, milled and a fresh valve job done. Im going to put it back together and watch it run another 284k. its seriously has identical wear to my 60k mile short block. i'am astonished! These modulars never cease to amaze me. good oil and meticulous service will keep them running longer than you want to drive one.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/donnyj...?sort=3&o=0

Don't be too amazed, this was common for the 302 as well, zero bore wear. I've seen examples that had thousands of passes on nitrous, boosted...etc. My one buddy's was originally a spray car (150 shot on a stock motor, then 150 shot on the stock shortblock with heads/cam/intake) then an S-Trim setup. It lunched an intake gasket at the track and drank 13L of coolant. Engine was torn down and was immaculate with over 200,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Looks good!

X2 Good ole 4.6
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Don't be too amazed, this was common for the 302 as well, zero bore wear. I've seen examples that had thousands of passes on nitrous, boosted...etc. My one buddy's was originally a spray car (150 shot on a stock motor, then 150 shot on the stock shortblock with heads/cam/intake) then an S-Trim setup. It lunched an intake gasket at the track and drank 13L of coolant. Engine was torn down and was immaculate with over 200,000 miles on it.

I've seen many 5.0 HO cars run on serious nitrous and boost hold up as well. they are certainly amazing platforms. Im in the process of building a Foxbody right now. Im going to put a 2.3l turbo motor out of a 88 Turbo coupe that i have. I plan to have the head ported, oversize valves installed, put in an SVO cam, arp head studs, new high performance head gasket, gut the intake, port the exhaust manifold, install a 255lph pump, 60lb/hr injectors, and an hx35 t3 flanged turbo with a front mount intercooler on it. Should lay down 400+whp with a good tune. My uncle has built foxbodys for a living for 25 years, so im a little burnt out on the 302 cars. he currently has 72 fox cars ranging from 79-93 models. some are nice some are in pieces and everywhere in between lol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08

I've seen many 5.0 HO cars run on serious nitrous and boost hold up as well. they are certainly amazing platforms. Im in the process of building a Foxbody right now. Im going to put a 2.3l turbo motor out of a 88 Turbo coupe that i have. I plan to have the head ported, oversize valves installed, put in an SVO cam, arp head studs, new high performance head gasket, gut the intake, port the exhaust manifold, install a 255lph pump, 60lb/hr injectors, and an hx35 t3 flanged turbo with a front mount intercooler on it. Should lay down 400+whp with a good tune. My uncle has built foxbodys for a living for 25 years, so im a little burnt out on the 302 cars. he currently has 72 fox cars ranging from 79-93 models. some are nice some are in pieces and everywhere in between lol.

Sweet Jesus, 72 of them??? And I thought my buddy Steve was bad! HAHHAHA! BTW, those turbo 2.3L builds are sweet! Post pics please when you have a chance
smile.gif

And yeah, they were/are of ungodly popularity in drag racing circles, which I assume are many of the cars your uncle built. That's what most of my buddies did with them and I dabbled in it as well. Still have my built 302 from my '87 sitting in my garage, LOL!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

Sweet Jesus, 72 of them??? And I thought my buddy Steve was bad! HAHHAHA! BTW, those turbo 2.3L builds are sweet! Post pics please when you have a chance
smile.gif

And yeah, they were/are of ungodly popularity in drag racing circles, which I assume are many of the cars your uncle built. That's what most of my buddies did with them and I dabbled in it as well. Still have my built 302 from my '87 sitting in my garage, LOL!
smile.gif

yea, 72 lol. he has 96 cars total. 72 are fox bodies. some of the better ones he has are 2 66 mercury cyclone GT's, and a 69 mach 1 428 super cobra jet, that one is unrestored, but it will be amazing one day. he has a 40 ford coupe and a few early 70's mach 1's. a 56 ford truck with a lightning 5.4l supercharged engine in it. all kinds of crazy stuff. he has 5 sheds and a 20x30 full of fox body parts, everything you can imagine lol. Ill be sure and post pictures when i get the 2.3l car built!

Why did you tear it down? just due to mileage?
Is that bearing as smooth as i seems in the pics( a touch blurry)?
If so its a great motor!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Why did you tear it down? just due to mileage?
Is that bearing as smooth as i seems in the pics( a touch blurry)?
If so its a great motor!

From his earlier post, it blew head gasket(s).

I sprayed a 4.6 with easily 500 pounds of nitrous,ran a 12.76 on a 100 shot and thoroughly abused it. My only issues were spitting plugs.
Upon me tearing it apart it had near 300000kms on it and no ridge in the cylinder. All crosshatching was still visible and to be honest I kicked myself for pulling it.
At one point I thought Low tension rings were going to shorten the lives of modern engines. As has been proven that isn't the case at all.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I sprayed a 4.6 with easily 500 pounds of nitrous,ran a 12.76 on a 100 shot and thoroughly abused it. My only issues were spitting plugs.
Upon me tearing it apart it had near 300000kms on it and no ridge in the cylinder. All crosshatching was still visible and to be honest I kicked myself for pulling it.
At one point I thought Low tension rings were going to shorten the lives of modern engines. As has been proven that isn't the case at all.

Some companies (Ford) can get low tension rings righy. Others (subaru) can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back