I just bought this oil filter wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
iyOOYU.jpg

it has a sticker saying
"DO NOT use the torque wrench when removing oil filter."

what the [censored] is this supposed to mean? and why?

You remove the filter using a ratchet, then reinstall using a torque wrench.

Why would anyone use a torque wrench to remove an oil filter?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

because People are Idiots.

but the idiots don't read anyway, so they would never see that warning anyhow.

Its Baloney. Torque wrenches are used to remove bolts, nuts, and oil filters if you like.

Sometimes its the biggest wrench in a shade tree mechanics toolbox.

I guess I don't get it.

You can use a torque wrench like a regular wrench if you really wanted to.. It could cause it to need re-calibrated a bit sooner than it normally would, but that's about it.

I wouldn't use one as a breaker bar either.. Might break something.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Its Baloney. Torque wrenches are used to remove bolts, nuts, and oil filters if you like.

Ha a neighbour who used torque wrench exactly as described because it was the biggest thing in his kit.

Wanted the pulley bolt of a Nissan inline 4, and decided to do the brace and bump (the starter) technique. No biggie, I do it too.

Next rebuild he did, he started snapping headbolts like pretzels...go figure.

I gave him a bunch of bolts (I used new on my rebuilds), and they still snapped. Loaned him my torque wrench, and they didn't break anymore.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
It says that because someone actually used a torque wrench to loosen an oil filter

For them to actually make a notation saying not to use a torque wrench a lot of people must be using their torque wrenches to remove oil filters and lots of other things. Maybe some people are stupid enough to think a torque wrench increases torque instead of measures it. LOL

I never use a wrench to re-install. Only the power of my 61 yr old hands.

Hello, My first thought was that the "Warning sentence" was simply a product of very bad translating.
It wasn't that long ago when all electronics and consumer gadgetry came with hysterically worded instructions.

This example would have needed to come from a more dingy fabrication shop (stamping the cup and welding the nut atop or simply sinter molding or whatever) than a fancy, schmancy office dealing with world-wide marketing and parts sourcing etc.

My point there being that more people and more editing would have been involved writing a warning for a car part, camera or vacuum cleaner than a simple cup socket. Kira

Why would you torque it back on? Most filters say how many revolutions to put them on like for an ACDelco PF47 IIRC it is like 3/4-1 turn after the gasket meets the surface.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I never use a wrench to re-install. Only the power of my 61 yr old hands.

+1, exactly!

Silly, I have 2 Toyotas with the aluminum canister. They get snugged on with a ratchet and that is it. The new O-ring seals the canister not how tight you put it on. Cleaning the canister thoroughly and then oiling the new o-ring is important.

The oil Filter on the Rat's 4.0 needed one of those to loosen the filter. There is no room for a strap wrench or a screwdriver. The socket sits in the glove box. I use my hands and tighten it filters just enough. They seem to tighten themselves from the engine rotation or vibration.

I'm with Kira. I think it's a mistranslation. Why would the manufacturer care what choice of tool you use to remove an oil filter?

Probably a mis-translation. As far as the comment on breaking bolts with a torque wrench? Sounds like a good was to possibly knock it out of calibration. Just not sure but I wouldn't do it.

OK, i posted the same question on a car-specific forum. someone posted that a torque wrench (or a breaker bar) inserted in the 3/8 hole could crack the (aluminum) tool if filter was stuck badly. the hexagonal nut is supposed to be used to unscrew the filter.

clearly lost in translation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Ha a neighbour who used torque wrench exactly as described because it was the biggest thing in his kit.

Wanted the pulley bolt of a Nissan inline 4, and decided to do the brace and bump (the starter) technique. No biggie, I do it too.

Next rebuild he did, he started snapping headbolts like pretzels...go figure.

I gave him a bunch of bolts (I used new on my rebuilds), and they still snapped. Loaned him my torque wrench, and they didn't break anymore.

Torque wrenches need to be stored at the lowest setting - otherwise there is the possibility of causing the calibration to be off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back