Only a mom could say this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT8

I talked to my Mom today [ she is 81 years old ] and the major part of our conversation was that uncle Teds [he is 78] $100,000.00 Mercedes doesn't ride any better than her $54,000.00 Acura SUV. It was amazing to say the least.

I would have asked to verify for myself. Repeatedly, as single point data is notoriously unreliable.

A few days in each, I'd reckon.

sounds Like My Great Uncle... in the mid 90's, he was in need of a new tow Vehicle for his Airstream,(to replace a 20yr old suburban with a likely unholy number of miles, he and the wife pretty much lived on the road during the non-snowy months)

at that time you could get a new suburban for around $30k. Instead he spent $60k on an airstream Converted camper Ford E-Series,with top sleeper, since it was "only" an extra $30 grand.
and he still used it to pull the Trailer.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
81 and 78 and driving cars that expensive. Guess I live in a different world.
Same here.. My 89 year old grandma drives at 99 Ford Taurus that looks like it's been through a couple wars! She's said though she'll turn in the keys in a few years.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Same here.. My 89 year old grandma drives at 99 Ford Taurus that looks like it's been through a couple wars! She's said though she'll turn in the keys in a few years.

The Great Uncle I mentioned above finally hung up his keys summer before last, aged >95, at that time stone deaf, driving a $100k+ Mercedes Sprinter camper conversion.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
sounds Like My Great Uncle... in the mid 90's, he was in need of a new tow Vehicle for his Airstream,(to replace a 20yr old suburban with a likely unholy number of miles, he and the wife pretty much lived on the road during the non-snowy months)

at that time you could get a new suburban for around $30k. Instead he spent $60k on an airstream Converted camper Ford E-Series,with top sleeper, since it was "only" an extra $30 grand.

I say - Why the heck not? At that age, what else would he spend it on, and what could give him more enjoyment? At a certain point you realize that the days you have been saving for are at hand.

I noticed no responses from Florida yet. Old people and expensive cars are commonplace there.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: earlyre

I say - Why the heck not? At that age, what else would he spend it on, and what could give him more enjoyment? At a certain point you realize that the days you have been saving for are at hand.

+1

Think it's great that they can compare cars...

Hello, Actually, "Mom never being wrong" to "Mom always being wrong" is a spectrum which is reflected by that of "Mom has money and property to be distributed after her death" to "Mom has no net worth to speak of". Kira

When I get to that age range, I will not feel too bad about spending some of the principal, rather than just the income from it. Though I will probably still be too much of a cheap b@stard, but I can dream.....

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Actually, "Mom never being wrong" to "Mom always being wrong" is a spectrum which is reflected by that of "Mom has money and property to be distributed after her death" to "Mom has no net worth to speak of". Kira
Actually my mom is most impressive.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels

Very much agreed. Look at it thie way, CT8, they are simply enjoying your inheritance, as it should be.
grin.gif
Be glad that they are not sharing nursing home stories. Sounds like some great people. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back