Melville or Verne?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melville. 'The' most poetic writing by any American author.

I especially like the opening chapter of Moby **** as performed by Julie McCoy, cruise director of the Pacific Princess.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Melville. 'The' most poetic writing by any American author.

I especially like the opening chapter of Moby **** as performed by Julie McCoy, cruise director of the Pacific Princess.

My question isn't in regard to the writing style.

hotwheels

Funny, I picked up 20,000 leagues a couple weeks ago on our holiday in Sydney.

It's supposed to be a more literal translation than the early ones, which were heavily edited by english speaking cultures who felt slighted by his french view, and didn't understand the metric system when converting to yards and hogsheads.

It's very very well written.

I always felt bad for Starbuck. I never considered your question before. Both men were out for revenge. Toss in John Wayne's character in "The Searchers"
My boss reminds me of Sir Topham Hatt, Thomas the Tank Engine's boss.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: andyd
Both men were out for revenge.

While Ahab is merely raising his fists against nature and God while he is looking for nothing but revenge, draging his men into a watery grave,Nemo does much much more than that. He creates the Nautilus, through which he himself becomes the avenging beast, but other than Ahab, he is looking to improve and to better mankind trough exploration of the unknown and through using modern science. Nemo is a much more modern man of reason compared to cackling mad Ahab.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back