Nation wide cpl license?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard just a quick blurb on the news the other day. Some politician from the good state of Indiana introducing a bill to create a cpl license to be recognized in all 50 states?

Do we really want the federal government telling states what firearms laws they have to have?

If the feds have the power (precedence) to grant that privilege, they have the power to take it away.

[censored] no.

Hoosiers just angry cause they have to go to Illinois to retest and pay us money so they can Conceal carry here. Want to CC in this state? Then you need to test here.

Every State should be like that. I don't want some foreigner concealing firearms, this is my home state, I should have the upper hand.

Last edited:
Im not surprised, im a fan of nationwide carry. i think it should be nationwide reciprocity and not a federal license, however.

As a Hoosier i'm proud to live in a very free and conservative pro gun state. We have a very pro gun legislature, which is good. I couldn't imagine living somewhere like chicago and not having my constitutional rights. Im very pro law enforcement, but law enforcement cannot be everywhere. Chicago has proved that quite well. Im also pro safety, that is why even though Indiana issues permits without field training i took it upon myself to enroll in NRA carry classes and Utah CCP courses. I've handled guns my whole life, but i still want to be well educated with one.

I pray for my pro gun brothers to the west in Illinois. Whenever we travel from home we try to avoid Illinois like the plague. last time i had to drive through i drove the speed limit and didn't stop for fuel while there. I followed rules going through and locked my 9mm away, but i certainly didn't want to.

I don't have anything against people from the state to the west, but i certainly do not like their politicians at all. Ill stay here in southern Indiana (kentuckiana) where almost everyone has and AR-15 or two or three.

Last edited:
Just what we need. Take a great success for American citizens and turn it over to the Feds to control. Shaking my head.

I understand worry about Feds running state CC permits, certainly a reason for concern and caution in that department.

Having said that we do have a serious problem in that each state has different regulations and variations on CC rules. It makes it difficult for a CCP holder to safely travel from state to state because of variances in CCP rules. For example driving Texas to Florida I have to worry about 5 different state's CCP rule sets. The variances in the regs are not huge but they are enough to get you arrested and lose your CCP for even minor infraction. Oh and by the way the rules for national parks are crazy also for CCP holders...I can legally CC anywhere in any national park as long as I don't step foot in any building (even a bathroom) because any structure is considered a federal facility, also I can drive my car but can't use shuttle bus in national park while CC for same reason...just nuts. We need one exact same set of CCP rules for every state and for all state parks and national parks.

Last edited:
The right to Keep And BEAR Arms is is right we have as citizens of the United States. It is a natural right. The federal government is a GUARANTOR of those rights, not a GRANTOR of those rights. As a state, you may choose if you want me to carry in the open or carry concealed. You should not be able to dictate whether or not I carry. My right to carry, concealed or otherwise, should not be dictated by which state Line I happen to cross.

Im not for a federal mandate. Im not even for a federal decision regarding reciprocity - that should be from state to state to decide.

I am for a universal "shall issue" requirement mandated federally so that the states cant force bogus requirements.

But with that, more stringent mental and personal requirements should also exist due to irresponsible people.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Every State should be like that. I don't want some foreigner concealing firearms, this is my home state, I should have the upper hand.

"Foreigner".....
confused.gif

meme0293906330_zpsfx4zbqcm.jpg

Remind me to never patronize the state of Illinois
Luckily, your right is denied in my state, and with that attitude, its probably for the better.

Here is the way I see it...we have a second amendment in our Bill of Rights. We also have a 14 amendment that was created to make sure that states do not try to limit the fundamental rights of citizens enumerated in that very Bill of Rights. I am surprised that more gun cases do not use this very argument for the second amendment. It has been used many times to defend other amendments of the Bill of Rights.

states rights can get carried too far in todays world tho
- think about if each state tried to regulate electrical voltage, wall plug configuration, cell phone frequencies, water quality, and plumbing pipe sizes and schedules and on and on. legislator lawyers would love to do those things.

I say nationwide carry reciprocity is a step in the right direction. When I drive out of state, I'm taking a loaded pistol with me and its going to be within reach of my driving position. That's just how it's going to be. Screw the fascist state of Illinois.

For those of you concerned about federal involvement in gun laws, wake up. In case you didn't notice, the SCOTUS just recently figured out 2A is an individual right! BTW, The Indiana legislature is now considering a bill to become the seventh "constitutional carry" state which means we will lose even more state reciprocity than we currently enjoy.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Here is the way I see it...we have a second amendment in our Bill of Rights. We also have a 14 amendment that was created to make sure that states do not try to limit the fundamental rights of citizens enumerated in that very Bill of Rights. I am surprised that more gun cases do not use this very argument for the second amendment. It has been used many times to defend other amendments of the Bill of Rights.

So, why isn't that used for more gun cases? The way that you put it seems to be crystal clear and totally unambiguous.

Originally Posted By: otis24
The right to Keep And BEAR Arms is is right we have as citizens of the United States. It is a natural right. The federal government is a GUARANTOR of those rights, not a GRANTOR of those rights. As a state, you may choose if you want me to carry in the open or carry concealed. You should not be able to dictate whether or not I carry. My right to carry, concealed or otherwise, should not be dictated by which state Line I happen to cross.
Amen brother! It is too bad that most in America today believe the federal government grants rights to its subjects rather than understanding that the Constitution was enacted by the people to give limited powers to a central government. Unfortunately the politicians in Washington have long ago surpassed those constitutional limits and the people have watched silently as it happened. I fear for the future of this country.

I'm very for nationwide concealed carry. I carry a gun every single day here in sunny Florida for personal protection. My ACTUAL life experience tells me that is an incredibly smart thing to do. To think otherwise is extremely foolish. Never went on a shooting rampage, never been a threat to anybody, never been arrested, always been a contributing member of society.

So when I drive to the northeast this summer and pass through New Jersey I INSTANTLY become a felon just for possessing a firearm?? That same firearm that I am guaranteed to possess in the bill of rights, without infringement? Just possessing a firearm is a minimum mandatory prison sentence of 18 months in NJ. How is that justice? On what planet does that make sense? I'm not dangerous to any citizens of NJ except for vile, disgusting, dangerous criminals. The legislators (and citizens that vote for these clowns) have installed laws that protect criminals and make criminals out of law abiding folks. That makes me EXTREMELY angry. It's disgusting. It's vile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back