Infrared thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these effective for reading the block and oil filter temps. I guess if you read the oil filter on any engine, that reading should be close to the actual oil temp.
21.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465-8905.html

Last edited:
I've been playing dropping a type K thermocouple down the dipstick versus the temperature gun.

Gun on sump/filter is 10-12C cooler then directly dipping the oil.

I bought one from granger when I changed our old 97 Jetta ATF. It got me close to operating temp range since I didn't want to buy VAG com...a computer software program for the laptop.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I've been playing dropping a type K thermocouple down the dipstick versus the temperature gun.

Something like 50F difference. That's huge.

I bought a Etekcity DT-8750 on Amazon for $22 a while back.
It's really fun to use, even knowing that it is not 100% accurate from one surface to the next.
Helped me sort out some HVAC problems at work, and find some leaky windows at home.
Best use is to compare like things, ex: is this brake rotor hotter than the other brake rotor? or where is the cold spot on the ceiling that needs more insulation?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI62HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Originally Posted By: tig1
Are these effective for reading the block and oil filter temps. I guess if you read the oil filter on any engine, that reading should be close to the actual oil temp.
21.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-69465-8905.html

Tig i have one of these my dad had bought (now mine), its junk. Totally inaccurate and sensitive as all get out.
It has 3 pots that constantly go out of adjustment. Not worth the plastic its made from.

They do work very well but get one with better quality.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yes, the IR gun does not read the exact temp but most of the time when checking rad hoses, various spots on the radiator, block temp etc if you add 7*c to the reading you are pretty close. They are most useful for comparison as someone already mentioned, whether comparing against another location or comparing against a previous reading on the same location

They are pretty accurate for measuring room temperature by aiming the gun on a piece of furniture in the room.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
They do not work on shiny parts or aluminum.

When I shoot my al heads it shows a perfect 200 degrees. I have the one from AZ for 30 bucks.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Chris142
They do not work on shiny parts or aluminum.

When I shoot my al heads it shows a perfect 200 degrees. I have the one from AZ for 30 bucks.

I would expect AZ and HF guns would be comparable in quality.

They're handy little gadgets. I purchased one from Amazon recently. It might not be the most accurate. It does work reasonably well, and is useful for telling all sorts of temperatures. For example, finding out my snowblower gets up to 300*F near the head and 190*F on the outside of the crankcase is useful for determining what oil to run in it.

Note: To read temperature correctly, you need a radiating flat black body. So, paint a flat black spot on your block, and your oil filter. Any flat black spray paint will do just fine.

Accuracy and repeatabilty will improve markedly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
Note: To read temperature correctly, you need a radiating flat black body. So, paint a flat black spot on your block, and your oil filter. Any flat black spray paint will do just fine.

Accuracy and repeatabilty will improve markedly.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do a before and after test with the flat black paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back