Are all Wix filters 8-11psi bypass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every single filter on their website is listed as 8-11psi bypass.

I looked up cross referenced filters from purolator and they're anywhere from 12-15psi to 14-18psi

Is Wix bypass pressure too low??

In real world applications, the difference between 8-11 psi vs. 12-15 psi is pretty minute.

Some have noted the Fram (might have been WIX?) filter for their application doesn't meet the proper bypass specs, but that's the only issue I can think of.

It may have been Subarus?

I wouldn't worry about it.

I selected the 31516 I am running now for just that reason. My Jeep has been notoriously picky at start up and I thought a slightly lower bypass setting might help. So far indeed it has.

Some filters spec a much higher bypass though (like the Fram PH8316 equivalent, whatever that is) and Wix would have to be more in line with OEM specs on that. Unfortunately Wix's site (and tech support) leaves something to be desired.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Every single filter on their website is listed as 8-11psi bypass.

I looked up cross referenced filters from purolator and they're anywhere from 12-15psi to 14-18psi

Is Wix bypass pressure too low??

57712 Bypass 23psi
per their website.

All of the popular Honda/Toyota filter sizes are 8-11psi from Wix:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51356
This is used in all modern Hondas + Mitsu, the Purolator version PL14610 is 14-18psi which is almost double! 14610 is also most prone to tearing according to these forums.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51516
This is an oversized filter for all Toyota V6s + Ford focus, the Purolator version PL20195 is 12-15psi.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=51394
OEM sized filter for Toyota Corolla, Purolater version is also 14-18psi.

I wonder if the high PSI setting on purolators is what causes the tearing? Why is Wix using the same low PSI for different filter specs when other brands all use different settings?

It depends on the media, flow rate, and intended purpose. That's why there's such a variation among different manufacturers for similar applications. I suspect that the filters with higher bypass PSI numbers have more restrictive media. Therefore they require a higher bypass setting to avoid going in to bypass mode.

Originally Posted By: 29662
I suspect that the filters with higher bypass PSI numbers have more restrictive media. Therefore they require a higher bypass setting to avoid going in to bypass mode.

And/or a very high flow rate oil pump.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I selected the 31516 I am running now for just that reason.

Are the bypass specs less than the 31085?

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I don't think so I was referring to non-Wix filters but the bypasses on the 31516 and the 31085 are completely different in operation so they could be different.

The 31516 has a Motorcraft style thread end bypass set up, seems to work just as well for me as the other Silvers so far, been a couple months now.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I don't think so I was referring to non-Wix filters but the bypasses on the 31516 and the 31085 are completely different in operation so they could be different.

The 31516 has a Motorcraft style thread end bypass set up, seems to work just as well for me as the other Silvers so far, been a couple months now.

A non combo valve on a Silver filter? Seems nifty.. Lol.

How do you like it compared to the 400S?

Yep no combo valve on the 31516 it is a FL-400s equivalent so maybe that is why Wix opted to do that.

All the Silvers (combo or not) and the FL-400s work exceptionally well for me. Next couple OCI's will probably be FL-400s again as I got a couple on a cash back deal from AAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back