2013 Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a 2013 Grand Cherokee with the 5.7L Hemi. The vehicle currently has 44,000 miles on it and after the dealership was charging him for stuff he didn't need, he has decided to let me take over the maintenance. This 5.7L Hemi does have the MDS system. The vehicle sees mostly highway, with some occasional heavy towing on weekends.

The engine holds 7 quarts and spec's 5w20.

The oil life monitor seems to recommend a change right at 9,000-10,000 miles. The dealer used conventional oil for this, where I feel that is a bit too long for conventional oil.

What would be an appropriate OCI using 5w20 synthetic and a good filter like a Napa Gold or Fram Ultra? I will probably be using PP 5w20 or M1 5w20.

I'm thinking with synthetic oil and a good filter I could go by the oil life monitor since it is mostly highway driven.

I assume it has a spec that needs followed? ms6395 perhaps?

I have become fond of QSUD. Seems pretty stout and is cheaper than PP/ M1 too. Realistically, any quality synthetic will work. If you have an Oreillys near you, they have PP and a WIX for $34 plus you get a $10 gift card.

9-10k seems reasonable for synthetic especially since its highway driven so I would just continue to follow the OLM.

I dont know much about OLMs, but if the conventional wasnt able to keep up with the 9-10k OCI, wouldnt it call for an earlier oil change?

Last edited:
I'd go with the OLM even with conventional oil, 5w20s in general seem to be very solid oils with good base stocks. If you up to a synthetic, you might as well go with a 0w20. The Ultra is a great filter choice.

Within my 2014 5.7L I poured in at the 960 mile mark--->5Qts M1 0W-20 & 2Qts M1 0W-40 w/Fram Ultra filter.

I plan taking the OLM to 10% before I do my next oil change...Now I am @ 7341 miles and 48% left on the OLM... Mostly Highway and Interstate driving... Very Little city!

I contacted Mobil about the Chrysler Spec! He went into a lot of detail and stated AFE 0W-20 could pass the spec blind folded... Also the spec takes close to 2 years of testing and a lot of $$$! He assured me Mobil 1 is working on it now... The Chrysler spec is just not top priority to them at this time for the AFE 0W-20! A few of M1 oil do meet the Chrysler spec. Just not AFE 0W-20!

On the Ram Forums it really eats at members for some reason-->Worrying about Me not using an Oil that is Spec for my 5.7L... My Service Mgr just laughed and told me they would never void my warranty due to I used M1 AFE 0W-20! Said they would not even ask what brand was used... They might ask about viscosity... Said just follow you OLM and all is Good!!

I have No plans on using any other Viscosity in my new 5.7L other then 0W... I do add the 0W-40 for the robust additive package.

I will say using this combo-->My 5.7L is Very Smooth and Quiet!!! No Hemi Tick or Start up Noise!!!

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
My Service Mgr just laughed and told me they would never void my warranty due to I used M1 AFE 0W-20! Said they would not even ask what brand was used... They might ask about viscosity... Said just follow you OLM and all is Good!!

This could vary dealer to dealer.

^^^^^Yes I agree! My Dealers service mgr is a Total Gear Head and Knows the Quality of M1 and Knows I will have NO oil related engine issues... I have been driving for over 38 years using M1 and have never had an engine issue due to oil... So I have NO worries...

Jeepman In my honest opinion either PP or M1 5W-20 with a quality oil filter can easily go 10K miles! Especially with mostly Highway miles... The 5.7L is very easy on oil!

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately there is no O'Reilly's in my state, so I think WalMart will be my source for oil.

Good to know the 5.7L isn't hard on oil. I have done some reading about Hemi tick and it seems to be the result from people not changing their oil. Running 5w20 synthetic and going by the OLM should help this Jeep live a long life. My family typically keeps their vehicles for as long as possible.

I like the idea of the P4 personally over regular M1, the 5w20 EP could be interesting but costs more than the P4 I think.

Nine or ten k with conventional is too much for my tastes too, but if I was gonna do it I'd do it with PYB and I bet it'd be fine in a UOA.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Good to know the 5.7L isn't hard on oil. I have done some reading about Hemi tick and it seems to be the result from people not changing their oil.

There's actually a service bulletin out for "Hemi Tick." Its a clearance issue in the rocker/pushrod/valve assembly, its not oil related.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately there is no O'Reilly's in my state, so I think WalMart will be my source for oil.

Good to know the 5.7L isn't hard on oil. I have done some reading about Hemi tick and it seems to be the result from people not changing their oil. Running 5w20 synthetic and going by the OLM should help this Jeep live a long life. My family typically keeps their vehicles for as long as possible.

The Hemi tick is present on even brand new cars on the lot.

There is no service bulletin for it either. Many owners have complained and all you will get is that it is supposed to sound like that.

Just an FYI, SRT recommends using an oil with a high moly count as it is beneficial for the VVT function. The PP will have more than the Mobile 1.

I'd just run a good group III "synthetic", a quality filter, and use the OLM from this point on.

I've used a few "house brand" synthetics such as Napa, O'Reilly, and Supertech which are fine but I've found M1 and PP to feel the smoothest and be the quietest in the engine.

You may choose a extended performance oil and filter AFTER the engine warranty has expired, but you're already getting 9k-10k on the OLM which is very good.

I
Originally Posted By: dtru

The Hemi tick is present on even brand new cars on the lot.

There is no service

bulletin for it either. Many owners have complained and all you will get is that it is supposed to sound like that.

Just an FYI, SRT recommends using an oil with a high moly count as it is beneficial for the VVT function. The PP will have more than the Mobile 1.

This is absurd. Stop posting this garbage. It's incorrect and nonsense.

Can you explain why it is beneficial?

And I'd never use Mobile 1 oil in any vehicle, I'm with you there.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Exactly.

How is a friction modifier even related to the function of vvt.
Dtru. Are you even aware of how a vvt system works.
That's like trying to say a friction modifier with help with the operation of a hydraulic piston,like the one on my forklift that lifts the boom.
All credibility lost in less than 10 posts.
Funny.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: kschachn

Exactly.

How is a friction modifier even related to the function of vvt.
Dtru. Are you even aware of how a vvt system works.
That's like trying to say a friction modifier with help with the operation of a hydraulic piston,like the one on my forklift that lifts the boom.
All credibility lost in less than 10 posts.
Funny.

Your credibility is lost by attacking someone who just relayed information.

Yes I know how a VVT system works.

Stop being so hostile for no [censored] reason.

If you want to get offensive about it I will just leave the exact quote from them and be done.

"The oils we recommend are 0W40 Pennzoil Ultra (with 250 ppm moly added which gives additional cam phasing benefit - very positive on this oil) and our old SRT oil Mobil 1 (with 110-160 ppm moly)"

I would recommend Mobil 1 5w20 or Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w20 with a Wix filter. It's what I use on my 2012 Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and it seems to love it. Both the filter and oil can go the distance with ease with this combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back