Old Aussie Chev/Holden oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuffling stuff around the house, dug out the old maintenance book for the Aussie V-8 holdens from 1968 to 1971 (homegrown 253/308, and 307, 327, 350 Chev).

Thought it might be interesting.
IMG_20150131_111042.jpg

10W30 appears to be the "proper" grade for useage across the country.

up here without a block heater its not going to start with 5w. And with a carb your not driving that for a good 5 months of the year. If it were my car I would run pp 5w30 and a Mid range fram. Those engines would love the stuff. What would you run shannow? Your choice has to be local oil. my cousins and their parents live in melbourne. Close to you?

Hi Shannow,

You are correct about 10W-30.

I lived in Copenhagen (Denmark) for several years - I worked in a Technical capacity for Chevron-Caltex. I ran their Technical facility, we were a collecting facility for prototype development and several OEMs were involved including Porsche and Benz

One of our clients operated a Hire Fleet of V8 Cadillacs. These cars were hired with Driver and literally went all over Europe - the main hirers were US Service people based in Germany and other US tourists. These vehicles covered huge distances and were operated on 10W-30!! It still is a great viscosity for many applications

Their Hire operation meant that the cars went from Nord Cap to Turkey and all in between - and all year round.

Originally Posted By: abycat
up here without a block heater its not going to start with 5w. And with a carb your not driving that for a good 5 months of the year. If it were my car I would run pp 5w30 and a Mid range fram. Those engines would love the stuff. What would you run shannow? Your choice has to be local oil. my cousins and their parents live in melbourne. Close to you?

abycat, I was born in Melbourne...currently 600 miles North of it.

If I still had one, either a 10W30 semi or 5w30 syn would be in it. A3/B4.

cars here in my locale start easy with 25W in the sumo

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi Shannow,

You are correct about 10W-30.

I lived in Copenhagen (Denmark) for several years - I worked in a Technical capacity for Chevron-Caltex. I ran their Technical facility, we were a collecting facility for prototype development and several OEMs were involved including Porsche and Benz

One of our clients operated a Hire Fleet of V8 Cadillacs. These cars were hired with Driver and literally went all over Europe - the main hirers were US Service people based in Germany and other US tourists. These vehicles covered huge distances and were operated on 10W-30!! It still is a great viscosity for many applications

Their Hire operation meant that the cars went from Nord Cap to Turkey and all in between - and all year round.

Seems like a level viscosity even around here....though the 5w gets more winter love...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: abycat

abycat, I was born in Melbourne...currently 600 miles North of it.

If I still had one, either a 10W30 semi or 5w30 syn would be in it. A3/B4.

cars here in my locale start easy with 25W in the sumo

cool small world! I've always wanted to see that part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back