Oil Additives Compatible with Motor Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading about Lubegard Biotech now, and it looks like that do have some decent data and some endorsements. This one shows promise.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Trav
The only one I know of that 100% will not affect additive chemistry and cause conflict between competing elements is Auto-RX.

From their own website.
Quote:
These coupling esters compete for the same space on metal surfaces as do the cleaning esters of Auto-Rx

I don't need to go any further. IMHO it would be best just to drop this subject right here.

And redline uses additives that would be considered competition for their ester base. It isn't just one or the other.

We are not talking about Redline just your statement that it will not cause conflicts between competing elements when they clearly state that it can with certain oils.
One well known advocate of this product commented numerous times about the issues he had when he used it with GC.
Don't shoot the messenger.

We are not talking about Redline just your statement that it will not cause conflicts between competing elements when they clearly state that it can with certain oils.
One well known advocate of this product commented numerous times about the issues he had when he used it with GC.

GC was PAO.

At least Lubegard publishes some Falex Pin & Vee data showing how there Biotech compatibility varies widely with common motor oils.

Base Oil Friction Reduction Wear Reduction
Quaker State 1.1% 13.2%
Havoline 29.8% 63.3%
Castrol 29.6% 78.8%
Mobil1 7.3% 12.5%
Pennzoil 19% 67.3%

This is like drug interactions, complicated, although most ester products like Lubegard and Hyperlube appear to have good evidence they play well with about anything overall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
At least Lubegard publishes some Falex Pin & Vee data showing how there Biotech compatibility varies widely with common motor oils.

Base Oil Friction Reduction Wear Reduction
Quaker State 1.1% 13.2%
Havoline 29.8% 63.3%
Castrol 29.6% 78.8%
Mobil1 7.3% 12.5%
Pennzoil 19% 67.3%

This is like drug interactions, complicated, although most ester products like Lubegard and Hyperlube appear to have good evidence they play well with about anything overall.

LG Bio EP is on a short list of additives I like, from a company I trust.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LG Bio EP is on a short list of additives I like.

Agreement, I'm going for polar esters now (Hyperlube or Biotech), although next month I might be back to dating Molly (Never again Cholorinated Paraffins, too toxic of a relationship.) If I ever do go back to moly, I'll use the full recommended dosage since researchers see a threshold effect. While when I'm using esters, I can use partial doses and still get some benefit.

GC was PAO.

The old GC attracted moisture like nothing i have ever seen before as i found out in my snowblower. Sure sounds like some sort of esters in there.
The oil had turned milky and froze enough the engine would not turn over. Air cooled engine with no leaks to the outside only normal crankcase ventilation.
Now i just use Mobil 1 0w40.

Originally Posted By: Bitog
Another potential disadvantage with esters is their ability to react with water or hydrolyze under certain conditions.

While we on the subject of freezing, i used ARX in my transfer case and the shortly after during a big snow storm couldn't get the thing in any gear. when shifting from AWD to 4 low it got stuck in no mans land.

I had to heat the case on my back in the snow with a hair dryer to get it moving.
I drove it, got it warm and replaced the fluid, end of problems for years until i sold it. Frank (Demarpaint) was on the phone with me at the time i was trying to get it going so he will remember the fiasco.

I understand that all esters are not the same but given i had these problems, i wouldn't use it again. I wont use the OLD GC in something like a snowblower engine again, i used it for years without issue until that one winter.
All the conditions must have been just right.

^^LOL I remember. I wish I had a dollar for every time you dropped the F-Bomb in that conversation.

I'm a fan of certain additives to address specific concerns. My statement was directed to those who are concerned about using them or don't believe in additives at all. The best bet for them is to avoid additives.

And the oil additives forum.
grin2.gif

There are a few additives I trust and have had notable results with that I will continued to use.

I do use MoS2 in my oil in the Jeep. Since it is a solid moly by belief is it simply uses the oil as a carrier and does not mess with the oils chemistry.

Anyway it seems to work well.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Reading about Lubegard Biotech now, and it looks like that do have some decent data and some endorsements. This one shows promise.

Don't worry, as the absolutist naysayers on here will blast that product to h**l as well, despite the company's great rep, and NON 'snake oil' offerings.
mad.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I'm a fan of certain additives to address specific concerns. My statement was directed to those who are concerned about using them or don't believe in additives at all. The best bet for them is to avoid additives.

And the oil additives forum.
grin2.gif

^^^Yes, AS IF that will EVER happen!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
Got a bottle of Slick 50 for less than $3 at O'Reilly (already on clearance and I had a $5 off $10 coupon). The oil base is fully formulated 10w-30 GF-4 compliant. Tested and proven by Shell Laboratories. Date on box was 2011, so I don't think this formula has PTFE I'll mix it with some Pennzoil Platinum.

I sent off an email to Slick 50 inquiring about the product. The reply stated that this bottle does indeed contain PTFE and reiterated a recommendation to use conventional oil with this product. No explanation as to why not to use synthetic.

Got a bottle of Slick 50 for less than $3 at O'Reilly (already on clearance and I had a $5 off $10 coupon). The oil base is fully formulated 10w-30 GF-4 compliant. Tested and proven by Shell Laboratories. Date on box was 2011, so I don't think this formula has PTFE I'll mix it with some Pennzoil Platinum.

I sent off an email to Slick 50 inquiring about the product. The reply stated that this bottle does indeed contain PTFE and reiterated a recommendation to use conventional oil with this product. No explanation as to why not to use synthetic.

It's something I wouldn't use, but I'm wondering if it is old stock? I could have sworn they took PTFE out of it years ago when Pennzoil bought them out.

I have never used Slick50 and I probably never will. I did hear that the formula was changed and it no longer has PTFE in it.

I tried Rislone recently after MolaKule talked about using it in his SUV. Since MolaKule used it hopefully I will not be attacked here. Apparently my engine was not that dirty inside because when I changed the oil today it did not look that dirty. For cleaning the inside of an engine I would use Rislone, MMO, Kreen, or maybe Lubegard Engine Flush.

I have had good results with Lubegard Biotech Engine Oil Supplement and with Schaeffer's engine oil supplement.

There is not much more I will use. I read in the fuel section that Technron fuel supplement really is not producing good results and if that is true why even use fuel supplement?

I become less and less interested in supplements all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back