New to me 2008 Scion tC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I finally decided to cut my losses and sell the old Integra. I ended up with a 2008 Scion tC after searching and comparing options for quite a while. I didn't want something too cheap and to end up in the same situation of the Integra where it's in the shop more often than it's not, but I didn't want anything too new, either, since I already have a summer vehicle and I wouldn't be driving the replacement aside from during the winter and for longer road trips. So, I ended up right in the middle of the two extremes and I'm very happy with the car so far. Anyways, my reason for posting this is are there any common issues with this car or drivetrain I should be aware of? Any ideas on maintenance recommendations in terms of engine oil, filters and transmission fluid regimens? I'm aware that the 2AZ-FE can burn oil, and so far I haven't seen any evidence of this engine burning anything. I'm also aware of the trunk latch release sometimes failing/breaking.

According to the oil filler cap, the engine takes either 5W-20 or 0W-20, but the dealership changed it before I purchased it with a bulk synthetic blend 5W-30 that I will likely be changing out at 3,000 miles so I can use a full synthetic in it rather than a mystery oil. I have some Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 and 5W-20, but I was leaning towards trying Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 because of the great things I've read about it on here. Thanks everyone!

I would use Denso or Toyota 90915-10003 (90915-YZZF2) oil filters with Toyota 0W-20 syn oil/Redline 0W-20.
5W-30 can be substituted without any problem. For air filter I would not use anything but Denso First Time Fit filters.
If not WS type, I would get some Redline D4 atf.
Congrats on your new car! Some pics to follow?

The Tc`s are nice looking cars in my opinion. I had 09 XB with the 2400 cc 4 cylinder that didn`t give me a bit of trouble. I know they are are not the same exact engine but I havn`t heard of any real problems on the TC`s . My choice of oil would be one of the full synthetic 0-20 oils from a major oil company , Pennzoil,Mobil,Quaker State, take your pick.

No reason to buy M1 until you use the QSUD you have!

When I was maintaining Toyotas, I liked the Toyota brand filters and Wix filters - no issues with either one of those.

Here is a pic of it from the dealer that I got it from:
2008sciontc_zpsqtmgf1mc.jpg

Also, there is NO cabin air filter installed. From what I've gathered on Toyota forums, Scion never installed a cabin air filter in these, even though there is a spot and holder for one. Something about degraded air conditioning performance? Any idea if it would be safe to run one anyways? I'm having trouble even finding one that fits the car.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Also, there is NO cabin air filter installed. From what I've gathered on Toyota forums, Scion never installed a cabin air filter in these, even though there is a spot and holder for one. Something about degraded air conditioning performance? Any idea if it would be safe to run one anyways? I'm having trouble even finding one that fits the car.

No, only that Toyota was too cheap to install one.
If you have the space for it, do like I did with my Honda Odyssey at the time (my version did not have one but higher versions had): Buy one and put it in place. No science here, just cheapness.

Originally Posted By: Pesca

No, only that Toyota was too cheap to install one.
If you have the space for it, do like I did with my Honda Odyssey at the time (my version did not have one but higher versions had): Buy one and put it in place. No science here, just cheapness.

Thanks.
thumbsup2.gif
I think I'm going to be ordering a few online sometime today. Even if it is true, I think the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks of a potentially weaker A/C, which may not even be the case.

The 08 uses a 20? If its a MT trans Id use all 5w30 and then leave space for a cup or two of PP 0w20. Ive used and had liked QSUD and PP better than M1 AFE. But Today who knows. But then I like Valvoline 0w20 better than any. Lets say they are all comparable and decent Some can be magical with the right "tailored" vis. Motul Econergy 5w30 beats them all buy a wide margin in the real world as a winter fill.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The 08 uses a 20? If its a MT trans Id use all 5w30 and then leave space for a cup or two of PP 0w20. Ive used and had liked QSUD and PP better than M1 AFE. But Today who knows. But then I like Valvoline 0w20 better than any. Lets say they are all comparable and decent Some can be magical with the right "tailored" vis. Motul Econergy 5w30 beats them all buy a wide margin in the real world as a winter fill.

Yes, it's a 20-grade spec from the factory. It's an AT.

Concerning oil,I always go with the thickest spec. My vote would be your fave brand of synth in a 5W20.

If you go to the trouble to install the filter, make sure that it seals well to the unit inside. We owned a few Chrysler minivans that had manual climate control and no air filter...the ones with automatic climate control had an air filter. A common mod was to cut open the door that is cut on the nicer models and install the filter yourself. But you had to buy the filter "tray" thing as well that went inside...otherwise, the filter's just sticking up into a blank space and doesn't really seal against anything.

Here is a pic of it from the dealer that I got it from:
2008sciontc_zpsqtmgf1mc.jpg

Nice color too.
Did you check if Fram has a Fresh Breeze (?) baking soda/charcoal filter for her? My xB takes RAV4 cabin filters, same size. Unfortunately some Denso's/OEM cabin air filters are like colander, you can see through them.

Hi neighbor, sweet car. I would run the oil you already have. I ran Mobil AFE 5w20 in my Sienna for a few changes when it first came out, did not notice much if any difference in its thirst. That was back in the dark ages before I found BITOG. I thought it was more of a marketing gimmick than something of consequence. Your results may very. Enjoy the new ride!

DutchBrad - I'm sure you recognize the dealer I bought it from, being from Holland.
smile.gif
Thanks for the thoughts and comments!
kozanoglu - I ended up ordering a few Wix cabin air filters for it, so I'll give those a try.
Hokiefyd - It comes with the tray, but the tray was empty. Just needs a filter.
smile.gif

cptbarkey - It drives amazingly smooth. I can't believe the huge difference between it and my 1990s vintage vehicles.

To the OP: nice car, man. I had the exact same car that I got brand new in July of 2008 and drove for 96K (flawless) miles until Sept of 2013 when I got the Camry which my wife drives now ( I got the Tundra bc we needed a truck).

The only thing I ever replaced was the battery at 79K miles. The back latch breaking can be prevented as mine was. I would push the button under the logo to unlock the hatch, then lift from the bottom of the entire hatch, not from that cheap plastic covering. That car took me through college and opening and closing that hatch MANY times with all my school junk and never broke the latch.

I ran mostly just PYB 5w-20 year round at 5k miles intervals because I was doing lots of city driving while in college. Toyota's 2.4L engine is pretty smooth and can move that little car decently.

Enjoy the car! It will last you many years. If you're interested google "high mileage scion tc" and there is a guy who has a very detailed maintenance history of his 306k miles 2005 tC.

As for cabin filters, I use the white coffee like furnace filters and cut to size and tape to the filter frame. Change them in spring/fall on my Rav4 and Avalon. It works for me for the last 8 years.

RN89 - Thanks! I will use that tip about the hatch button. I'm still having trouble pushing the button consistently. It seems difficult to find.
smile.gif
Did you ever have any rattles coming from the hatch area? I've been noticing a rattle coming from the passenger side of the hatch that's been driving me crazy. I've heard these cars can have issues with rubber stoppers that do not apply enough pressure between the hatch and the body, causing the rattle...

ronbo - Thanks for the tip, I saw that on a Scion forum and thought about doing it, but I feel like the fitment of a filter that was designed for it would let less stuff through since it would fit the tray better. Do you think that's the case?

We had a 2012 SCion TC for 3 years and 35K miles. Flawless reliability, Fill with gas, clean, change oil, repeat. Was never back to the dealer for warranty work.
I had read about the rear hatch lift too, and the same solution.
I think I like the looks of the 1st gen over the 2nd gen we had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back