Hog Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kruse
Reading some of these posts and I had to chuckle.
First off, hogs in the wild are called feral hogs and they SHOULD be eaten by coyotes. (Coyotes or wolves are no match for feral hogs, but I digress) Feral hogs have no natural predators and if you've seen the damage that feral hogs do, you know why the land owners hire pilots to fly over with helicopters and a sniper to shoot the pigs. If a human would come across a pack of wild pigs and a sow thought that a piglet would be be in danger, the pack could kill a human in seconds. Second, 99% of all pork sold in the grocery store is pork raised in confinement buildings. The floors are concrete and the walls for these pigs are concrete or pipe. For these pigs, they cannot dig so you would never put a hog ring in the nose of one of these pigs. Hog rings were for pigs that were raised on dirt and stopped them from digging. Very few pigs are raised on dirt and the ones that are are being raised by farmers that have a customer base that wants organic pork or because the pork raised on dirt tastes better.
As a kid, we raised pork (on dirt) and we did use hog rings on a few of the larger sows or boars. Would you put hog rings in your dog or cat's nose? Of course not. It is cruel. It would be like doing surgery on a human with no anesthesia.
Organic grass fed and non corn finished meat is so superior to the feed lot garbage they call meat

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: tezzzas
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
That would keep me from digging with my snout! (see cruel picture above).

You must be a city boy. How is this cruel? If he doesn't root around, he wont get poked.

Hogs by nature are very hard on stuff. They are notorious for tearing up fences too. Locally, the feral hog population is slowly increasing and folks are encouraged to shoot them simply because they damage property. Down south, hogs in season year round and have no bag limits IIRC.

As far as being cruel, I would rather see a hog outside with a ring in his nose than cooped up in a hog barn not knowing what the light of day is.

I am from the country and I think the photo is cruel. So, that's my stance on it.

Good thing you don't know what happens with ears, tails, tusks, and testicles on Hogs.
Californians voted in a law to make the chicken factory farms have double the space for the factory farmed chickens. Now they are complaining about the price of the low quality food going up. The chickens don't care or know any different. food and water that is all they know.

No complaints about the price of eggs here, mine are free!

Plus, it's so much fun to watch them all come running when one of us pulls in the gate. I know they don't really love us, and have come to associate it with my wife coming back from the feed store and giving them something to eat, but it's fun to pretend!

...but, why is this one so much bigger than the others?

Last edited:
I miss mine so much. I had about 25+ at one time. We live in a woods so owls were an issue with a few of the smaller bantams. Back when we had our Newfoundlands, they did a pretty good job keeping any unwanted 4 legged rodents out of the fence and they got along with the chickens really well.

We have a lot invested in the yard/ landscaping now so I think its best now we dont have them. They did an excellent job at weed removal too. Lol.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
We have a lot invested in the yard/ landscaping now so I think its best now we dont have them. They did an excellent job at weed removal too. Lol.

Our goats did that for us. And that's how we found out we had poisonous tobacco growing in the yard, when they all dropped dead
frown.gif

To the post of Kruse above, I can only say *Amen*!
Coyotes killing hogs?
crackmeup2.gif

Well- Maybe the odd piglet here & there, but anything other than that is strictly fantasy-land. Wild hogs are dangerous, destructive, and any concerns for their safety are badly misplaced. We have 'em bad here in NE Texas, they even tear up spots here in the yard. Barbed wire fences are nothing to them. They cross creeks, go anywhere they please, & tear up anything handy along the way. Mostly nocturnal, they're virtually all black w/traces of dark gray hairs sprinkled throughout & are extremely difficult to see at night. Groups of more than 30 have been spotted within a few miles of the house.

Don't waste any time wringing hands over the poor wild hogs. They'd happily rip you from knee to waist if it suited 'em.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hey 4wheeldog: You said, "Is there any correlation to why some many young women have rings in their noses?".
NEWS FLASH! They're not just for our noses anymore, boy. Kira

I've seen the rings in the noses of girls and i don't get it. Its not appealing at all.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

First off, hogs in the wild are called feral hogs and they SHOULD be eaten by coyotes.

At least you got that part correct.

The discussion was about domesticated hogs and the reason for hog rings in the nose. Hog rings are put in the nose to prevent domesticated hogs from rooting under containment fencing and getting loose in the wild. Not only is it dangerous for the hog, but losing any sort of livestock is costly to farmers. There's nothing cruel about it, it's done for the safety of the animal as well as a method to help the farmer keep his livestock contained. It's no different and no more cruel than using ear tags.

I don't think I've ever heard of feral hogs with rings in their nose and I'm not sure how you jumped to that conclusion.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
To the post of Kruse above, I can only say *Amen*!
Coyotes killing hogs?
crackmeup2.gif

Well- Maybe the odd piglet here & there, but anything other than that is strictly fantasy-land. Wild hogs are dangerous, destructive, and any concerns for their safety are badly misplaced. We have 'em bad here in NE Texas, they even tear up spots here in the yard. Barbed wire fences are nothing to them. They cross creeks, go anywhere they please, & tear up anything handy along the way. Mostly nocturnal, they're virtually all black w/traces of dark gray hairs sprinkled throughout & are extremely difficult to see at night. Groups of more than 30 have been spotted within a few miles of the house.

Don't waste any time wringing hands over the poor wild hogs. They'd happily rip you from knee to waist if it suited 'em.

Dogs used for hog hunting wear those (anti tusk) vests for a reason. Lol.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

At least you got that part correct.

Well Pops,
You're the one who thinks coyotes prey on feral hogs. As posted, coyotes might prey on one that's sick, but otherwise, feral hogs are not afraid of coyotes, wolves, or any other animal except humans. And in some areas, the hogs are winning. Talk to my sister-in-law in Texas who totaled out a Crown Vic just by hitting one of these as it ran across the road.
And yes, hog rings are cruel. As a kid, I had to put in hundreds of these things. (Have you?) Ear tags are put into an animal and the pain is short-lived. After the ear heals, there is no more pain. Hog rings are put into the pig snout with no anesthesia and there is pain every time the hog bumps his nose for the rest of his life. For every hog ring installed, and a lot of hogs had at least three or four hog rings, there are two nails jabbing into the nose of the hog.
There's a nice video on YouTube called "How to ring a pigs nose". Go watch it and you decide for yourself if it is cruel or not.
Luckily, the use of hog rings in the modern industry is rare. Yes, they sometimes are used where a pig is raised on dirt so they don't dig, but a pig raised on dirt for today's market is rare. And even you can get a part correct, Pops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back