Synerlec and warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be changing the oil in the Escape soon (hopefully this weekend if the weather permits). I have been using Royal Purple API SN from Wal Mart (outstanding oil.) I would like to try the Royal Purple HPS with Synerlec, but it says not to use it if still under warranty. The power train still has about 60k still left on the warranty. Does oil with Synerlec really void the warranty, and if so, why?
confused.gif

M-1.....with a Fram ULTRA filter....should work as well, if not better IMO. Depending on what your OC mileage is, you can use the ULTRA twice (example 2 X 7500 = 15000), since its guaranteed for 15K.

Royal Purple IMO, is overpriced for what you get.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
M-1.....with a Fram ULTRA filter....should work as well, if not better IMO.

Yup it's just overpriced unicorn tears. There will be the Royal Purple Fanboys getting their panties in a wad over what I said.

Synerlec is good stuff but it's high additive content of sulfur puts it way out of API limits. It's actually an amazing oil but NOT warranty compliant. They also contain higher levels of anti wear additives of ZDDP outside current API limits, probably exceeding API SL or close to it.

I think synerlec is anything is the closest thing to unicorn tears in the world of motor oil.

Also last I checked Royal Purple still uses primarily group 4/5 base oils in the HPS/XPR lineup.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Synerlec is good stuff but it's high additive content of sulfur puts it way out of API limits. It's actually an amazing oil but now warranty compliant. I think synerlec is anything is the closest thing to unicorn tears in the world of motor oil.

Huh, so that's why it isn't API certified. I always wondered what the reason was.
TheMoreYouKnow_480x340.jpg

Last edited:
The Royal Purple HPS has more ZDDP in it than their API licenced oil. If still under warranty i would just use the regular stuff. IIRC all of their motor oils have the Synerlec Additive in them. Just use the oil that meets specs of your engine. Royal Purple is a good choice BTW.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
M-1.....with a Fram ULTRA filter....should work as well, if not better IMO. Depending on what your OC mileage is, you can use the ULTRA twice (example 2 X 7500 = 15000), since its guaranteed for 15K.

I appreciate the response, albeit slightly off topic. Im not trying to start an oil battle here, just get some info. My OCI is about 5k miles on this vehicle give or take, never more than 7k (just cant wait that long!) Mobil 1 is a great oil, but I have no intention of switching this vehicle to anything but RP at the moment, and I will never use a filter more than once. Ever. I know it works for some people, but I am happy to spend 10 bucks on a fresh filter every oil change and move on down the road.

Synerlec is good stuff but it's high additive content of sulfur puts it way out of API limits. It's actually an amazing oil but NOT warranty compliant. They also contain higher levels of anti wear additives of ZDDP outside current API limits, probably exceeding API SL or close to it.

I think synerlec is anything is the closest thing to unicorn tears in the world of motor oil.

Also last I checked Royal Purple still uses primarily group 4/5 base oils in the HPS/XPR lineup.

This makes sense. Thanks for the info! I will stick with the API for now and try the HPS down the road.

The HPS Synerlic is good stuff; costs twice as much as Mobil 1 EP, but doesn't deliver twice the results to justify a higher price than even Amsoil Signature Series.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
The HPS Synerlic is good stuff; costs twice as much as Mobil 1 EP, but doesn't deliver twice the results to justify a higher price than even Amsoil Signature Series.

IIRC Mobil 1 EPs effecicacy has come under some scrutiny lately, I remember reading how it wasn't much different thatn the standard formula. But I could be wrong there, have to find that article again.

As for the results, I haven't used Synerlec, but it looks more promising to me than any other of the high performance oils. RP has always made great stuff and I hold their regular API to be ahead of most of the other synthetics on the shelf. As for the cost, it is not that expensive. Its cheaper than Signature series. Amsoil is pretty expensive and not readily available where I am. No retailers around here even carry it

Cost analysis below:

Oreillys price for HPS: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...7&ppt=C0252

Amsoil Signature Series: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=ALMQT-EA

^ Spoiler alert: Not cheaper...

The API SN licensed versions of the royal purple such as the ones found at Walmart DO NOT contain synerlec.

Sorry i was wrong about that.

Originally Posted By: LX289
The API SN licensed versions of the royal purple such as the ones found at Walmart DO NOT contain synerlec.

Sorry i was wrong about that.

I think at one time it did. I know they still put it in their gear oil. I just replaced my rear diff with 75w-140 RP with synerlec, bought at autozone. Its just not in the motor oil anymore.

What if somebody is using it to increase horsepower?

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

What if somebody is using it to increase horsepower?

Then they are delusional.

So your saying that a high quality synthetic oil with superior lubricant qualities could not, under any circumstance, increase horsepower whatsoever? I think you may be the delusional one...

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Synerlec is good stuff but it's high additive content of sulfur puts it way out of API limits. It's actually an amazing oil but now warranty compliant. I think synerlec is anything is the closest thing to unicorn tears in the world of motor oil.

Huh, so that's why it isn't API certified. I always wondered what the reason was.
TheMoreYouKnow_480x340.jpg

It met API SL certification but not SM or newer.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Big difference compared to this RP stuff.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/roylprp.htm

No mention of the unicorn tears on the label here, just a proprietary additive package.

Possibly the same add package as Valvoline synthetic.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/valvolinesyn.htm

Maybe this version uses crocodile tears instead.
smile.gif

How can you say that with any certainty.
A used oil analysis isn't the be all to end all and it cannot see organic additives,so just because it looks similar to valvoline in no way means it is.

Synerlec is great stuff and I've personally seen track and street pounded engines where the cams looked new,not even a wear scar and that includes countless cold starts with immediate runs.
I've used and like the stuff with synerlec and have some of the older euro blend(with synerlec) in my stash.
Now for a daily driver I don't feel the cost is worth it simply because top shelf syn's from the majors cost less and I don't feel a commonly driven motor requires the overkill. I feel the same about red line lubricant. Absolutely great stuff just not cost effective in a daily driver.
Royal purple makes great products however when compared to less costly alternatives I just can't justify the extra expense in a daily driver.
Race engine,heavy duty working engines,stationary air cooled engines then yes a higher quality speacialy oil would be on my radar however in a modern engine there are less costly alternatives that provide more than enough protection for the engine and lets get serious here. Today's engines last longer than the car it's installed in and when was the last time you saw a vehicle heading to the wrecker because of engine failure.
However if you like the hps stuff lets us know how you like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back