Drilling hole in front strut mount bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drilling hole bigger in Upper Strut Mount for a 2009 Sonata.
Im trying to install Koni front struts on my 2009 Sonata but the strut shaft is bigger then hole in upper strut mount.

Anybody drilled the hole bigger?

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Are you sure they are the right part number? Koni struts are high quality, they shouldn't have fitment problems.

+1 I was thinking the same thing. I would check the numbers versus koni to make sure you got the correct fit.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Im trying to install Koni front struts on my 2009 Sonata but the strut shaft is bigger then hole in upper strut mount.

I would not drill the hole bigger. You are asking for potential problems.

Did you change the strut mounts too are are you re-using the OEM mounts?

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia

Something is really wrong here, investigate. I never had to drill one in over 40 years in the business.
Picture of the old and new along with mount? did you measure it with a caliper?

Some mounts have D shaped holes for a shock with a flat on the shaft.

Likely that's what you're dealing with. Drill the flat out but, you'll have to hold the shaft somehow to tighten the nut.

Last edited:
Get the right ones. Don't do a hack job.It's not worth altering just to put on Koni's.

Last edited:
Yes ,I did measure the shaft with calipers. The upper strut mount is new, OEM part. The Koni struts are the correct ones according to the Koni website ang other online part website.

Other Sonata owners had the same problems and all of them had to do some drilling.

Its just strange that Koni will produce a product that will need modification to fix properly.

That is strange. I never did them on this vehicle so i have no idea what the story is with Koni making a part that doesn't fit right out of the box.
If the mount is D shaped you take it down a little easy enough with a round file.

Are these the yellow Koni? Is there a hex or flats in the top of the rod to hold it while tightening?

"Are these the yellow Koni? Is there a hex or flats in the top of the rod to hold it while tightening?"

Yes they are the yellow Koni's. There is a hex in the top of the rod.

I did try it to fit to an old mount and a new OEM mount, same problem. The mount hole is too small. So if I drill the mount hole to 15/32"...it will fit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back