A 9 mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ NO gun should be left around where any little kid can get access to it. There have been plenty of instances where a semi-auto was discharged by a little kid and somebody got killed.
In the real world, little kids have a habit of finding things. A semi with no round in the chamber is pretty hard for a little child to work. Add to that a grip safety and the the standard safety and even the grown up lowlife get confused. Leaving a semiauto with the safe off and a round in the chamber is not wise, but no different that a loaded double action wheel gun. On a 1911 the hammer has to be cocked to fire, a double action revolver cocks itself when the trigger is pulled. Too bleepin easy.

If the semi owner is responsible enough to unload the gun, why can't the revolver owner do the same?

Originally Posted By: whip
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ NO gun should be left around where any little kid can get access to it. There have been plenty of instances where a semi-auto was discharged by a little kid and somebody got killed.
In the real world, little kids have a habit of finding things. A semi with no round in the chamber is pretty hard for a little child to work. Add to that a grip safety and the the standard safety and even the grown up lowlife get confused. Leaving a semiauto with the safe off and a round in the chamber is not wise, but no different that a loaded double action wheel gun. On a 1911 the hammer has to be cocked to fire, a double action revolver cocks itself when the trigger is pulled. Too bleepin easy.
If the semi owner is responsible enough to unload the gun, why can't the revolver owner do the same?

Agreed; why would they not do the same and further why would it be available for children to handle be it loaded or not? My children are getting older, but my gun safe still stands between them and the firearms.

I think the general concept is that a double action revolver has a trigger pull of over 10 pounds, which is generally higher than a child could operate. Most semi-automatic handguns have a trigger pull that is much lighter...anywhere from the 4-8 pound range.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with it, but I think that's why some folks regard revolvers as "safer".

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think the general concept is that a double action revolver has a trigger pull of over 10 pounds, which is generally higher than a child could operate. Most semi-automatic handguns have a trigger pull that is much lighter...anywhere from the 4-8 pound range.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with it, but I think that's why some folks regard revolvers as "safer".

Many DA/SA semi autos have a 10 plus pound trigger in DA mode. I know I have several Watlthers that have a 12 to 14 pound DA pull.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Many DA/SA semi autos have a 10 plus pound trigger in DA mode. I know I have several Watlthers that have a 12 to 14 pound DA pull.

I agree, some do; so does my CZ 75. I said that "most" have a lighter pull, and I think that's true, especially when you consider what the average American citizen is likely to have at home. Glocks/M&Ps are popularized by movies and culture as the "ones to have", and I'd say that the novice (to which that precautionary advice is intended) is more likely to have a Glock or an M&P than a DA/SA Walther/Sig/CZ/etc.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Revolvers are less prone to accidental discharge by the user. But for children concern a semi-auto like a Browning Hi-Power which has a magazine safety the semi auto is safer. You can keep a Hi-Power in your nightstand with a round in the chamber and if the magazine is removed it will not discharge.

But for me, I bought a digital locking safe after Sandyhook. I have teenagers in my home when I am not there. So my gun is always locked when there. My friends ask me if I don't trust my kids. I just tell them that I do trust my kids but not their friends.

Bottom line is that responsible gun owner's need to have complete control over their guns. Doesn't matter what kind it is or who's around them ... you can't predict anything that might go on with other people who can get their hands on them.

I went to the range today to try this pistol. The first round fired but the empty did not eject. I did not oil the gun at all, it was bone dry. Maybe because of that?

After that put some oil, and shot some rounds. First after ten years of not touching guns. I have to learn how to aim and shoot.

Here is the result :

nk5RE1.jpg

Home invasion gun fights are usually between 10 or 15 feet. If your lucky enough to have it on you when they come through the door and it is in your hand, you might live thru it, remember the bad guys shoot back...some of us forget that part. ( it includes me)

But the good news is, if the bad guys do not have a gun, you may be ok,,,real life is not csi Miami, imho.

Note: not many of us have a gun in our hand while watching TV, I am guilty of that..........see I am not perfect,,,,,lol

ps I am not an expert, some in here are.

Last edited:
It is locked and stowed away, I do not stand a chance in such a situation. I am not even going to carry. Might cause more headache over not having it. I am in for just the fun of it, for now. I hope I will never need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back