does it bug anyone else that 50/50 close to pure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's like buying light beer....
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Ethylene glycol is obviously more expensive than distilled water, but

Are you sure they even use distilled water? I doubt it.

deionized.

IF I knew for sure that it WAS deionized they all used, I would buy the 50/50 stuff, since that is what I would use IF I could, and the filters/treatments/etc. to make it weren't so much coin (YES, even the ones on Griot's Garage site are too pricey!).

Why not buy the 100% and cut it your self? You know what is in it and you can adjust the strength to your particular area plus save some money.

With 50/50 after doing a flush with water you will never get back to the 50/50 ratio.

Seriously? *Other* people buying a product upsets you?

I'm pretty sure that goes beyond having your nose stuck in someone else's rear: You've got your whole head up there looking around.

BITOG patrols the AutoZone coolant shelves, looking down their noses at people buying pre-mixed coolant (Read in a Thurston Howell III voice): "You probably don't even keep a "stash" of oil. Oh, of course you don't. Come on Cletus, we're leaving these plebes." :turns on heel and bruskly walks away:

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Ethylene glycol is obviously more expensive than distilled water, but

Are you sure they even use distilled water? I doubt it.

deionized.

IF I knew for sure that it WAS deionized they all used, I would buy the 50/50 stuff, since that is what I would use IF I could, and the filters/treatments/etc. to make it weren't so much coin (YES, even the ones on Griot's Garage site are too pricey!).

The Napa 4019 filter kit can be put together for less than $60.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The problem I have with 50/50 is you can't drain an engine 100% so the 50/50 can end up 40/60.

That's what i was thinking.

that pure antifreeze is around $14 gal and the same manuf offering a 50/50 mix of the same stuff charges approx. $12 gal.

Do they think we are lemmings?

well, people spend a lot of money for bottled water too.

I figure if other people are stupid enough to buy the 50/50... the 100% will be cheaper for me! Personally I just have an empty jug, put 50/50 on it with a Sharpie, & put half a gallon of WM distilled in with the 100%. Need distilled around for all those batteries anyway.

I don't buy 50/50, so why should it bother me?

Or are you asking if we see the poor economy of paying $11.50 for $0.50 worth of water?

I would rather buy twice the amount of antifreeze for the same $23, and buy distilled water for $1.00/gallon than $23/gallon.

A math lesson for those that don't see the poor economy of 50/50.

$23X1G AF + $1x1GDW=$12.50/1G coolant

$23X1G 50/50=$23.00/1G coolant

Originally Posted By: Eddie
The problem I have with 50/50 is you can't drain an engine 100% so the 50/50 can end up 40/60.

Exactly.

How could anyone ever service their own vehicle with a 50/50 mix?

Well, I am one of those stupid folks. I even buy 50/50 for my commercial heavy diesels. I don't have the time or inclination to play around with mixing stuff. And it isn't like one is changing out the coolant every year anyway. A few gallons of 50/50 for the typical car or pickup? Most people waste more than that on a Saturday night. Even replacing larger amounts in my semi trucks, using 50/50 is cost effective. And even though not every single drop of coolant is removed when changing, what is in there is 50/50 already, so the mix after filling back up will be 50/50 again. Nice thing is, the coolant I use, I can use it for all my vehicles. From my personal on up to my commercial vehicles. I get the Final Charge ELC from my supplier and use it across the board. It's an OAT coolant.

If you flush with water before you change coolant you will never get to the 50% strength using premix.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If you flush with water before you change coolant you will never get to the 50% strength using premix.
Doesn't hurt to keep a specific gravity tester around and some pure stuff to bring it up to spec.

No it doesn't. I fill with a gallon of 100% then top off with 70%. But a truck with many gallons of cooling capacity this would not work.

But if you did fill a large system with 50/50 and found it weak then there is a lot to be drained out and replaced with the proper amount of 100%.

If someone is bugged about what coolant a person is buying, they might want to just buy online and avoid the added stress of shopping in a local store. We already have road rage, and sure don't need coolant rage added to society's problems :

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
But if you look up your cooling system capacity, divide by 2, put in that amount of 100% antifreeze, then fill up with distilled-you're THERE! That's what I do, gets 50/50 every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back