When to fill up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thought just came to mind so bare with me. Is it better to allow your car to get to empty before filling up or to fill it up at the 1/4 to 1/2 a tank marks?

Letting gas get too low can cause issues with fuel pumps, however any contaminants that may be in the fuel will be run through the system in their totality.

On the flip side, filling up with a quarter to half a tank left is better for the fuel pump but may lead to increased contamination levels of gas in the tank, if the contaminants float on the gas surface.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't worry about the foolish things in life. I don't let the gas get low enough to be in a position of running out of gas.

Fuel pickup has always been fixed at the bottom of the tank. So unless if it floats I do t see it getting sucked in.

Years ago the word was to not go below a quarter, as the pump was cooled by the gas. That was probably true of some models. I don't know about today.

There is wisdom in filling up sooner than later. But on something that is driven often, does it matter? I generally fill at an eight, or when the light comes on. I often look at the start if the day, and figure out if I want fill sooner, as maybe it works better on my schedule to do it now than later.

My truck I try to fill at a quarter, but only because it sometimes will sit for a couple of weeks without being driven. My cars see upwards of a hundred miles a day so we usually minimize time at gas stations.

Down with your pitchforks folks. Just a general curiosity while on my lunch break.

Quattro- at first I was thinking water contamination but seeing as water sinks in gas that isn't a possibility. Maybe fine dirt or debris that the fuel filter at the refinery missed?

I fill up when the low gas warning light comes on. That's what it's there for. In my 23+ years of driving, I have never lost a fuel pump, although that in itself is not proof that what I'm doing is ideal.

Originally Posted By: supton

There is wisdom in filling up sooner than later. But on something that is driven often, does it matter? I generally fill at an eight, or when the light comes on. I often look at the start if the day, and figure out if I want fill sooner, as maybe it works better on my schedule to do it now than later.

I'm more inline of this practice, typically 1/4 tank in the Monte which racks up a couple hundred a week and at the 1/2 for the Ram which gets 50-70 miles a week.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I fill up when the low gas warning light comes on. That's what it's there for. In my 23+ years of driving, I have never lost a fuel pump, although that in itself is not proof that what I'm doing is ideal.

I've lost one in 22yrs, but it was at 255kmiles or so on the Jetta--never taken any other vehicle out this far. Not bad since it was known to be something of a problematic pump in the first place!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

+1

Originally Posted By: Doog
I fill up when I pass a station that is cheaper than in my local town.

This. I wait until 1/4 tank typically unless the weekend is coming and I think we're going to drive a lot. I make sure I fill up in NJ rather than NY, save 50 to 60 cents a gallon that way.

My next fill-up will be before the end of the month b/c some of my "Kroger" pts. will expire. Hopefully to get as low as possible to save as much as possible. (No lower than a 1/4 tank.) Generally, I personally don't let the tank get too low. Between 1/4-1/2 than time for more go-go juice.

My locality is odd in that gas stations sell gallons of milk for state minimum pricing, while grocery stores are around 50 cents over. Ergo, I stop in for milk and top the car off while there.

Pricing is pretty consistent, I could plausibly save a dime by driving 50 miles. If I'm road tripping I try to coordinate running it down to 1/4 tank then using gasbuddy for a cheap station... but the wife and kids use the C-store, bathroom, and buy candy, negating any savings.

Keeping a fuel tank above half-full helps keep condensation levels in check. All my vehicles have been run this way for decades.

When the tank level reaches 50%, I start looking for a convenient time to buy higher quality fuel on my terms (within a day or two) and not because I'm out of options and the gas gauge is approaching empty.

Buying gas on your terms in advance of a desperate need saves time and avoids the stress of getting fuel and being late for a commitment.

Low fuel can also strain relationships because you're running behind and buying gas makes the situation worse and you're more stressed when arriving at the event (due to poor planning).

Keeping the tank above half full prevents a lot of heartache when you're at your destination in a positive mood instead of buying gas and stressing out because you're running behind.

Originally Posted By: RamFan

What are your thoughts?

1/4 mark so you don't risk you life by going to a gas station so often.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I don't worry about the foolish things in life. I don't let the gas get low enough to be in a position of running out of gas.

This. Some new DI cars are NOT CHEAP to re-bleed if you lose the prime on the high-pressure pump at the engine.

Just don't run out, fill whenever you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back