Am I out of touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The steering rack on my Silverado that is dripping fluid. Literally, one drip a day, out of one of the boots. It has been doing it for a couple of years now.

So, I'm getting tired of it leaking, and I have no plans to get rid of it anytime soon... so, let's fix it. A rack with a lifetime warranty is $250 (retail) at NAPA, or $235 (retail) at Advance.

So, I go get an estimate to replace it at one of the local independent repair shops.

Rack = $380 (remember... $235 retail at Advance)
Labor = 2.4 at $85 an hour
Align = $75
Hazardous waste fee (a quart or so of PSF) = $20
PSF = $8
Parts cleaner = $7
Other shop supplies = $13
Tax = $36

So, when they added this up... it was a few bucks short of $750.

When did the hourly rate of working on an 11 year old Chevy pickup truck become the same rate of working on a BMW or a Mercedes?

This is what I'd expect to pay at the GM dealer, not at some grungy little corner shop.

So, I checked with another shop. It was still over $700.

I guess at those prices, it'll keep dripping a little bit of fluid for a lot longer. I'd like to have it fixed, and give someone some business... but not at those prices.

If you don't like their prices, DIY, then have it aligned.
Or shop around.
Or just let it keep leaking. Putting in more power steering fluid occasionally is still way cheaper.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Rack = $380 (remember... $235 retail at Advance)
Labor = 2.4 at $85 an hour
Align = $75
Hazardous waste fee (a quart or so of PSF) = $20
PSF = $8
Parts cleaner = $7
Other shop supplies = $13
Tax = $36

They're probably getting the rack from Advance, so I'm surprised that they didn't mark it up more. $85/hr sounds stiff, but it's probably worth it if they do good work. 2.4 hours seems long (not that I'm doubting them; that's probably the book rate)...is this rack in front of the front axle centerline (like most RWD-based vehicles) or aft of the front axle centerline? The charge for the alignment also seems high...most shops around here charge about $50 for a 2-wheel alignment (like you'd need) or closer to $80-90 for a 4-wheel alignment.

Those prices don't look bad as a whole.

Rack: while your price is $235 and their price is $235, they are going to charge you list price.
Labor: $85/hour isn't bad. My guy charges $78 (iirc) and dealers charge $95-$110 around here.
Align: my last alignment was about $100
HWF: Seems a little high
PSF: No idead how much this costs but, again, list vs retail
Parts cleaner/shop supplies: They do charge for everything now.

As an alternative, how about trying something like Valvoline MaxLife power steering fluid? If your leaky seal is just old and brittle rather than damaged, this could slow or eliminate the problem. Worth a try compared to $ 750.

My indy shop has no issues in me supplying parts. Including an engine. But I usually supply a brand that is something other than the basic brand NAPA carries. As in I am supplying a part so I can pick the brand/quality vs trying to save some money by buying the same part they would supply for less.

Last edited:
Yep, the quote sounds about right. I could see the labor rate perhaps being a bit lower in some parts of the country, but it seems about right for the Midwest. The auto techs at that shop make the same per hour whether they're working on a Porsche or a Pinto. Labor is labor, and 2.4 hr is probably the 'book' value. They charge that whether it takes the tech 1 hour or 4 hours.

One thing to note... you're not comparing apples to apples here. Your costs might look something like:
Steering rack: $235
Alignment: $75
PSF: $5
Parts Cleaner: $5
Tax: $16
Total: $336

So you save $400+ by doing it yourself.

I'd just let it drip. Buy a quart of PSF, check the level every 6 months, and call it one of the joys of driving an 11 year old pickup.

Look at the labor. Shop has to pay about 7.5% to Social Security for the worker. If he is self-employed, it is 15%. Then there are utilities (heating is a biggie for large shops), taxes,shop supplies and equipment like computers and emissions testing equipment, property and liability insurance fees, disposal fees, required health insurance, salaries for support staff and mechanics. So it doesn't really matter what you work on. Costs are high.

Also, if the shop has a shop vehicle, you can add in those expenses as well.

Last edited:
Yep, the estimate doesn't look too out of line. Running a shop costs money.

You are going to pay full list price on parts. The full list price also covers the cost of any comebacks - the parts place will cover the part, but the shop is covering the labor in that event.

An independent tech gets paid the same regardless of whether its an old beater or a Porsche.

The only sure way to beat those costs is to do it yourself or find a reliable shadetree mechanic you trust. You can always shop around too.

Are you out of touch??? Yes, you are. Completely.

Call your local dealership, pick any dealership, and ask them what their hourly labor rate is. You're going to be shocked.

Ask a friend who works on cars, "If I hand you the new rack, would you change it for me for $204 ($85 * 2.4 hours) and see what they say. I'll bet they'd say no. *I* wouldn't do all that work on someone's car for a measly $204 just to change a rack. That's a [censored] of work.

Ed

Something I forgot, because I try to block moments like this out of my memory, I had to have a rack put in our Caliber when we had it. That was a real freak situation too. Still don't know how it really happened. Only thing is, i rolled the back backwards in the driveway one night and turned the wheel a little while it was moving back. The next morning the rack was gone.

I believe it was $1000-1100 at the Dodge dealer.

Similar pricing here - hourly rate is somewhere between $85 and $95. The indy I use is closer to $95, but there is little upsell and the work is reliable/honest. Occasionally they have let me bring in my own parts, I don't push it but ask if I already got the part, or if it is expensive - of course, no guarantee if something happens 6 months later.

I worked at an indy in the mid 90's and $85/hr was our labor rate then. 2.4 hours for book time sounds right and usually includes setting toe, but we would always ignore that and add an alignment...good luck getting them to set toe without paying for an alignment.

But that quote sounds right. If it were me and it was just a drop a day I'd continue to live with it.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Am I out of touch?

Yes, both out of touch with current prices, and you have no idea of the costs involved in running a business and actually making a profit.

Hazardous waste fee? why its basically motor oil. They will put it in the shop oil burner(heater)

Alignment seems high for a 2 wheel alignment that they are probably getting paid to do in the 2.4 hour labor.

350-400$ seems fair if you supplied the parts.

I'd probably try a couple drain and fills maxlife PSF.. it really tightens up old brittle seals..

Usually that would involve a turkey baster type device or an oil suction gun(about 12$)

drain reservoir, fill, run 5 min, drain reservoir, fill run 5 min... do it 3-4 times might need to go for a short drive so you can turn the wheels a few times to get the fluid circulated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back